Cotton Experiment

Discussion in 'Support' started by bwspot, Feb 3, 2015.

1. bwspot

bwspot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/13/2014
      I have been putting cotton in my ears every day to protect againts all harsh sounds like mixers, trains, screams, cars etc.
      I noticed improvement in hearing and tinnitus being softer then before and much less reactive t.
      When I expose myself to the sounds again my left ear kind of hurts.
      This would mean that when the ear is resting it is possibly recovering? What are your thoughts about it? Before, I would not protect my ears except loud placed and I could not see any improvement except getting used to t and reacting better.

2. rtwombly
      Bookworm

rtwombly Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      This would go along with the low-laser therapy, the idea that the ears can heal themselves given proper rest and extra energy. Have you been using the cotton all day, or only when you expect to be in noisy environments?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      bwspot

bwspot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/13/2014
      I use it all day and remove for sleep.

4. Rube
      Fine

Rube Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      @bwspot have you considered etymotics ear plugs with a 12NRR? I just got them and they are excellent, you can hear perfectly but they take the edge off louder sounds perfectly and you can get them in clear so they are not very noticeable. In my opinion much better than cotton which I also was using when driving.
      these are the ones I just got.
      http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015WJQ7A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

5. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Cotton has saved me!
      When I'm around loud music, I got my cotton. When my H gets going, in goes the cotton. When I had awful "Mega T" (https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/mega-t.3782/) a few years ago, it was me and cotton. Also, I like to have it handy if I even think I'm going to run into loud sounds. And, I can wear it loosely or tight, depending on the volume of the offending noise.
      I have a cotton trick - when I get a spike, I put the cotton in. This is my recovery time, usually about 3 or 4 days if some loud sound gets me. The T is loud, yes, with the cotton in. But I look forward to the joy when I take the cotton out in a few days. Everything is so clear and loud, it drowns out the T. I've been doing this for a long time, probably the early 80's.

• Informative Informative x 1
    6. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      @iwlm..my aunty was using cotton a lot . cotton tends to disintegrate and because of this small pieces remained in her ears and her ears got infected .last time I heard after months small prices of cotton came out form her ears that was stuck inside her ear .Her ear drum is damaged and almost has hole in it . I think using foam plugs better idea than using cotton .

7. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Thanks. I read that before I think. Or someone else posted that. Good to know!! I use the poly cotton that doesn't unravel. Plugs make air pressure in my ears and aggrivate my H.
      Thanks.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      bwspot

bwspot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/13/2014
      Good to know.