Could White Noise Make Tinnitus Worse?

Discussion in 'Support' started by JSalvatore, Sep 26, 2014.

1. JSalvatore
      Studious

JSalvatore Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2014
      Hi all, i was wandering if white noise could worsen my tinnitus. I have had a mild and non intrusive tinnitus for 3 months but last saturday I had a noise exposure that agravated it. To maske it and make myself comfortable I put an fm radio out of the station in my room and really worked, but now I feel that it could have made my tinnitus higher. I have a 8300hz peeeeeeee in my left ear a 7950hz one in my right ear.
      Thanks

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Henrym

Henrym Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ENT said it was hearing loss
      I listen to white noise generators all the time - when at home and take them along with a headset while out - I dont listen all day but when I am at home it is nice to just mask the tinnitus noise.

3. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      Unless the white noise was very loud, I doubt it did any damage to your tinnitus. But it is possible your tinnitus is reactive to white noise. Many people with tinnitus have sounds that will temporarily spike them, but the increase does not last.

Instead of white noise, you might also try water sounds. They also mask and are softer to listen to.

You should be fine. :)

• Like Like x 1
    4. Henrym

Henrym Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ENT said it was hearing loss
      I want to keep the noise so high it completely masks the tinnitus but it's better for me to keep it at a level just below the tinnitus level of 8000khz.

I had it really high for a while yesterday and then turned off the noise machine and the tinnitus went really high but went back down again.

5. abbynormal
      Question it

abbynormal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I know this thread is old, but I don't want to start on the same thing, so will post here.

I started having tinnitus in 2012, and just gradually got worse. Started with a sort of swishing when I would get up at night to use the bathroom. But no ringing during the day, or anything other than the swishing as I mentioned.

Now, 3 years, or 4, my ears are doing a almost dibilitating "ringing" 24/7. I mean, I guess they are still ringing once I fall asleep. I had to start using some, sort of white-noise, so I chose the "rain sounds" on my cellphone app.

Helps a lot, but the ringing got even louder in the time I've been using the white-noise. I don't know if that's what's doing it, but today I decided to get on here and talk about it. Also, I realize it could be cause by a neck issue I have, or the pills I take for the neck issue. I was diagnosed with Dystonia/spasmodic torticolus in 1988, and prescribed clonazapam after other treatments like botox failed.

I still take 1mg only, of the clonazapam a day. I also had to have a pacemaker put in in 1997 from a 3rd degree av node block. The electrical part of my heart went wacko. My cardio told me everything about my "issues" is related to my nervous system. So I imagine, the tinnitus is as well.

So just a few minutes ago, I turned off my white-noise and am toughing it out as long as I can to see if the ringing will lessen, I pray it does:( I go out for long walks, and also do errands etc. and don't notice my tinnitus. But I do notice, if I check it, like plug my ears with my fingers, it is way quieter when I am out and about.

feedback welcome, just thought it might help to talk about it with those that understand. I do wonder if others have stopped with the white-noise, as I think (but only think) that may have made me almost dependent on the white-noise, and now my tinnitus seems to crave it, weird hey, LOL!! Denise

6. Ardwordin
      Curious

Ardwordin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8 days
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear wax
      Has it occured to anyone that once you pause or stop the white noise abruptly, the T get louder or atleast more annoying and noticeable? I also have mild H, maybe thats why i have this phenomenon?

7. 1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2008 but cured and relapsed from benzos
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown
      White noise can permanently worsen tinnitus.

8. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Some people might find the pink or purple or brown sound better or them than the white noise .
      Love glynis

• Agree Agree x 1