Current Ear Plug Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Support' started by another sean, Dec 15, 2018.

1. another sean
      Studious

another sean Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long duration of low audio
      I found a few older threads with some suggestion but thought I would ask for updated ones as preferences change. I was using Hearos Xtreme ear plugs with great success for the past few years but recently they changed their formula and do not work as well. They use to be very firm with a tight seal but now they feel mushy and deflated when rolling it up. I bought 3 boxes so it wasn't a defective box. Can anyone recommend some good ear plugs?I just want them to block out every noise as much as possible.

Thanks.

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    2. Deamon22

Deamon22 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      I use 3M 1100 ear plugs. Work perfectly fine when I have them all the way in. I use them for the gym and similar loud things.

• Agree Agree x 3
    3. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I wear 3M classic earplugs. They're inexpensive and have a NRR of 29. They seal the ear canal well (unlike the rubbery ones) and I wear them while riding as they block out the wind at 65mph.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
      • Informative Informative x 1
    4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I have pro plugs and also have some new musician plugs but not tried them out yet...

love glynis

5. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      If you like the fit of the Hearos Xtreme, which I believe are a little larger, I would go with Flents Quiet Contour (also sold as Moldex Meteors in some countries), or my current favorite, Howard Leight Max 1, which I find easier to put in as they have a smooth coating that faciliates insertion. Both of these are made for an ear canal that is a little larger, and provide a snug fit.

6. Alex Matyjasek
      Not amused

Alex Matyjasek Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8 September 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress? Who knows...
      I use eagasm earplugs. 34€ Amazon. I've tried them a couple of times and I feel safe using them.

7. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      are they the same as
      which happen to be my plugs of choice?

8. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      @Bill Bauer The 3M Classic earplugs are barrel shaped and made of PVC foam. The 3M 1100 are made of a softer Polyurethane foam. Both are rated at 29 dB.

• Informative Informative x 1
    9. Pabl692
      Alone

Pabl692 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Performing musician.
      Does anyone know of any sort of ear plugs that can just take the edge off noise, but still allow you to have a conversation? I've got some brilliant musicians' ear plugs (I can be in the car, have music on full, it sounds just fine but it is quiet, and doesn't aggravate my hearing), I can hear people talking, but the trouble is, I don't know how loud I am talking with them in.

Reason I ask is that, I would like to be able to wear something at work. I have to talk to a lot of people at work, so, it isn't ideal if I keep taking ear plugs in and out.

The ones I currently have, apparently reduce noise by around 20-25db.

Can anyone find anything for maybe 10db?

10. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I think that's All earplugs...

11. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Try to not insert your earplugs as deep (you can cut off X% of the earplug, if you are worried about it sticking out of your ear).

12. Pabl692
      Alone

Pabl692 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Performing musician.
      Yeh, I know, it's just with mine, I can hear people fine, I just struggle to gauge how loudly I am speaking. Maybe I'm looking for something that's not really available.

Doesn't help when you work in a place that has bare walls, hundreds of students making a racket, an open plan building with a huge canteen at the bottom and then security barriers that are beeping every 5 minutes.

13. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Same here!!
      Consider resigning and finding a quieter place to work...

14. Pabl692
      Alone

Pabl692 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Performing musician.

To be honest, coming to work and seeing my colleagues is one of the few things I look forward to. If it wasn't for them, I would be in a very dark place. I struggle on weekends when I don't see anyone, so going to work is a huge help. I can't lose it.

• Hug Hug x 1
    15. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      If you don't feel like your T spikes after work, or that your body can't heal as a result of you being exposed to noise at work, then it is all good.

16. Pabl692
      Alone

Pabl692 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Performing musician.
      To be honest, I'm still in the stages of figuring my T out and how it reacts to things. I still rally don't know. Just having the TV on low at home can make it louder.

I do find now that things like coins clinking together and the jangle of keys irritates my ears. Not painful or anything, but I think it is those kinds of sounds that can trigger it.

Anyway, I don't want to take over this thread. If anyone has any ideas about what I was on about above , that would be hugely appreciated!

17. Jcb
      No Mood

Jcb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possible TMJ, came on after severe cold and chest infection,
      Has anybody had some custom ear plugs made? I keep meaning to get some and wondering if it’s worth it??

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      another sean
      Studious

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I wonder about this too. How much more effective are custom ear plugs at blocking out noise as compared to the best disposable foam ear plugs.

19. Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I wonder this, I’m not a fan of the foam or wax ear plugs as they seem to irritate my ears. I mainly use pro plugs and another similar pair that seems to block out a fair bit of noise and doesn’t irritate my ears.

20. newarrior

newarrior Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concerts
      Foam plugs as a back up, musician's for extreme noise, headphones for emergency, corded hard ones for day to day from Rite Aid or CVS, Etymotics for day to day.

21. Vicki14
      Panicky

Vicki14 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Yes! I have ACS and would recommend. I feel safe with them in.

• Like Like x 1
    22. daiso

daiso Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      For a long time, I thought musician ear plugs (custom made in hospital audiology department) are great. I had three replaceable pucks with ratings of 10ish dB, 20ish dB and complete block, but they all sound the same to me in terms of loudness reduction. Yes, I hear clearly with them on, but practically very little reduction on noises that I don't want. On other hand, even low rating foam plugs blocks out much more than my highest rating musician plugs, provided that they are inserted properly but they are very clumsy to use. I concluded that it's the seal that really matters. Foam plugs just seals much better. Musician plugs are comfortable and easy to use, but not airtight and it kind of defeat the purpose if it does not give me the protection that I need. If you depend on plugs for concerts or other loud events, be very careful about the plugs of choice, it can give you false sense of security with the wrong kind. I now mostly use earpeace plugs, mainly because it is easier to put it and I can push them deep into my ear canal for a good seal. It blocks out sounds quite well and I can still communicate at close range. Just be careful with not pushing in any ear wax. BTW, ear muffs blocks out the most sound for me, but they are extremely uncomfortable.

23. Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks Vicki, I was looking at this brand as well. There is a Boots that does the moulds a good few miles away so I think I’ll try these out :)

• Like Like x 1
    24. Emperor-Drax

Emperor-Drax Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud bang on metal with a mallet
      I bought a set of dBud musician's earplugs, which have a 22db reduction rating when closed, and 11db when open. Really comfy! And the real selling point for me was they're magnetised, so they can stick together when worn around your neck. Most practical necklace ever.

25. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      Hey ... Hearos are my favorite plugs and I didn’t know they changed the formula! That would suck!

26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      another sean
      Studious

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      yeah, look out of it when you buy your next box. And if your next box of Hearos seem like the same firmness, let me know where you got them.

27. ShariK
      Loved

ShariK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ, Loud Machinery & barking dogs (I own a boarding kennel)
      I shoot guns, so I had some custom ones made. They work really well.

28. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hearos Xtreme are the only foam earplugs that are large enough for my ear canals (to give me adequate protection). If they changed the formula I'm screwed.

29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      another sean
      Studious

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I know right? Hearos Xtreme are the bomb. I bought 5 boxes from 2 different sellers and all are this new mushy kinda now. like sometimes in previous boxes I would buy a 100 pack and occasionally I would get one or two that seem defective, like extremely soft and deflated almost. But now they are all like that.

30. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Really? I hope not! Where do you order them? Maybe you just got a knock-off brand made to look like them.