Damage Ear Drum by Inserting Ear Plugs Too Far In?

Discussion in 'Support' started by orbiter12, May 8, 2017.

1. orbiter12

orbiter12 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/03/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud club
      I walk past a construction site on the way to work so I usually wear earplugs.

I think I might have inserted one too far and it made a sharp pain in my ear. My ear hurts now.

If I've burst my eardrum will it make my tinnitus worse?

2. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unlikely to rupture a drum this way but if you're concerned, go see a doctor. Doesn't need to be an ENT, any random urgent care or CVS Minute Clinic can instantly tell if you have drum damage.

If you somehow did damage a drum, usually they just grow back largely intact within a few weeks, but as with any physical injury it's a crapshoot.

FWIW, I often get pretty extreme stabbing pain in my ears if I wear orange plugs for >45 mins while doing something which is sweaty (like motorcycling, working out, etc). I think it's just because the plugs expand with moisture. I try to stop and change out plugs before things get to that point but this has happened to me dozens of times and it's never caused any harm that I'm aware of (my hearing thresholds and speech recognition are unchanged from 10 years ago).

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      orbiter12

orbiter12 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/03/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud club
      GP said no damage done ive just moved the wax back. Seems hard to believe with this pain