Damn Discos

Discussion in 'Support' started by red9350, Aug 2, 2016.

1. red9350
      Sad

red9350 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Hello, last Wednesday I went to a 90's party in a loud disco, the volume was louder than usual. As usual, I went to sleep with ringing ears and muffled hearing. Unfortunately, as of today (Tuesday) a soft, almost inaudible ringing is still present in my right ear, I can only hear it when wearing insulating earphones or when going to sleep. This situation is driving me crazy, since I'm particularly nervous e anxious, and reading "for the rest of your life", "forever" and "you'll have to get used to it" is worsening this situation. Today I'm going to the doctor. Now, I'd like to know if drugs prescribed by doctors can actually "heal" a very mild tinnitus like mine, or if I'll have to get used to it.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      No there is no medication to heal Tinnitus. Not even very mild tinnitus. but you are very early into, probably your T will just fade away with time.
      If not, I assure you a mild T like yours won't be bothering you after you get used to it. Don't worry too much about it, you'll be fine. But of course make sure to always protect your hearing properly from now on.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      red9350
      Sad

red9350 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      You mean I'll get used to it and fade it out of consciousness or it'll actually stop?

4. Hopeful1
      Depressed

Hopeful1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Mild T people get used to in approx. 2 months.

5. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Either it will actually go away or you'll get used to it and not notice it anymore.

BTW that you usually went to bed with muffled hearing and ringing after going to clubs is absolutely not normal. Before my T became permanent I had that too and I thought that everyone had it! Not true! Many people never experience anything like that even after loud parties. It's the first really serious alarm of your ears telling you to protect them.
      But of course one only realizes that after its already too late. Awareness is really a problem when it comes to T.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      It is a huge problem.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      red9350
      Sad

red9350 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      So I went to the doctor, who performed an audiometry. Results: no hearing loss. They also told me that i should avoid exposure to loud noises (duh..) and that my tinnitus will regress spontaneously. Now the problem is: it's been a week already, and my symptoms are the same, the tinnitus' intensity did NOT decrease at all. Are the doctors right, and I'll just have to wait a bit more, or they're referring to "getting used to the tinnitus" as "spontaneous regress"?

8. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Well spontaneous regress (or remission) means that the tinnitus just stops. You have good chances that it will stop BUT we need to be honest here no one can guarantee you that. Still you need to think positive right now! You only had it for one week! Try not to worry too much. Good luck to you

• Like Like x 1
    9. BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Steroid nasal spray could be worth a shot. It did nothing for me but if used early on, apparently it can help tinnitus.

10. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      .. If ETD us the cause but he suffered a noise trauma so nasal spray won't help with that unfortunately

11. Fangen
      Moonlighting

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (loud concert for 1h)
      I don't want to be mean or destroy your hope, but it seems that it might fade away. My T after a concert, unreasonable loud but I had a ringing the day after, which I knew that it was something wrong this time. Usually it goes away but it didn't. I was told it might go away on it's own soon but it never did. And it still hasn't, it's been 9 months now. Don't panic though, I know it seems impossible to live with it but you will. I don't think about my T that often anymore and it doesn't bother me either (some days are better and some are worse). Precaution for future loud noises and extensive use of headphones at loud volumes should be avoided. I haven't been to a club or concert since my onset, but then again, I rarely did it before T so it doesn't change my life that much. Hang in there, it will feel and get better!

12. rzhang
      Transparent

rzhang Member

any ringing even temporary is a sign of hearing damage. hearing damage is cumulative. idk why people dont say this as often as they should but ASK FOR PREDNISONE. a steroid is literally the only possibility for noise trauma tinnitus

• Informative Informative x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      red9350
      Sad

red9350 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      So yesterday another doctor put me on Medrol (metilprednisolone) but it's been 9 days since the noise exposure. Am I still in time? If yes, how long will it take to see some improvements?

14. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      90's kid here. I thought discos were a 70's thing.

15. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      For some reason i thought you were older D:
      were you born in the late 80s?

in some places they call disco to bars or clubs lol

16. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I'm 31. For what it's worth I feel a lot older. :(

17. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      You are still very young!
      maybe its your avatar, but 31 is still very young .

18. quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma / firecracker
      Red9350

I love your avatar,,, LOL ...

Thanks for the laugh :)

Louie

Quietatnight

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      red9350
      Sad

red9350 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      No luck for me. When I take prednisone, after a couple hours my tinnitus fades away, but the day after it's there again. It's been a week...