Damn Fire Engines! Can They Permanently Damage Already Fecked Ears?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Bear0211, Jul 28, 2017.

1. Bear0211

Bear0211 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      25/02/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced....
      Hey.

Can they permanently damage already fecked ears?!

Waiting at the lights to cross and 2 + 2!! Come zooming down. Wasn't straight past me though as they had to manoeuvre past a little bit of traffic!

I plugged my ears but feel it did nothing! I had nowhere to go expect to throw myself in front of the traffic :(

Sounds appealing these days!

They had to zoom right past as well :(

2 blaring the sirens!

Panicking now!!

• Hug Hug x 5
    2. Vicki14
      Panicky

Vicki14 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      @Bear0211 Awh hugs to you Misses. These unpredictable situations are so stressful and combined with the anxiety, it's no wonder we feel overwhelmed by it all xxx

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bear0211

Bear0211 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      25/02/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced....
      @Vicki14
      Just about ready to haul myself off a bridge! I keep messing up with these damn ears :(
      Finding the stress too much to handle. Really making me ill!!! Xx

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      Hi @Bear0211

If you plugged your ears there shouldn't be any problems. It's a short term burst which technically wouldn't damage you even if you hadn't. Although try telling me that when I get ambulance sirens right next to me...

These things are way louder than they need to be, I've had spikes from them but never felt like any permanent damage has been caused.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bear0211

Bear0211 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      25/02/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced....
      Grammar ^ Wrote this in a panic. Still am.

Thanks @Steve ... My ears are definitely louder but my heart was pounding!! trying to get home from town was just a nightmare. Dodging leaf blowers and contsrtuction work everywhere!! Oh the stress! I ended up getting crap foam plugs from boots! I do have custom made plugs but my audiologist told me to try and not wear them too much...shopping ect. As I have hypercausis too. Meh.

But Yeah they didn't just zoom past as well. As some cars had to move out the way, wasnt just one. 2 fire engines!! So blasted twice really! SO LOUD . oh man. This is so relentless!!

My audiologist used to tell me ambulances and fire engines won't damage the ears unless your sitting under it for a good 5 minutes! Ppfftt.

These sirens are extremely loud and I just feel my ears are broken as it is :(

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. Bobbie7
      Wishful

Bobbie7 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Extreme stress, sinus infection
      Hi @Bear0211 -

I'm sorry to hear of your experience and I can well understand your discomfort. In my area there are many private homes and since it is now summer, it seems everyone is engaging landscaping companies who use these extremely loud devices to trim their hedges, shape their trees, mow their lawns and clear leaves away. Add to the mix construction of new homes and/or renovations which are constantly being carried out in my neighborhood where your senses are constantly being bombarded and, indeed, it is maddening. At times you simply cannot cross the street unless you are prepared and who wants to walk around with earplugs in constantly! Of course, there are always the shrill sirens of ambulances passing by as well which add to the cacophony of deafening sounds. Oh ... life in the big city!

I hope that any after-effects you experienced have subsided now. It's impossible to protect ourselves against every sudden unexpected noise although it's only natural to cringe when we are nearby when it occurs.

Wishing you a pleasant day.
      Barbara

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bear0211

Bear0211 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      25/02/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced....
      Thank you @Bobbie7
      My ears have definitely spiked. Hope to god this isn't more permanent damage!
      I've read they sirens can hit 110 db!! 2 trucks went past! And it took a little longer as cars were in the way.

This is crazy! Seems I can't step outiside the door these days! And as I have hypercausis I've been warned not to over protect. Yet I seem to get caught out lots. This was the absolute worst today though!!

Finding the stress of all this very tough to deal with, and it's manifesting itself physically now. Constantly feel ill and rundown and the depression is too overwhelming now. :(

Oh the regrets with this.... :(

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      going for a rim shot on the snare drum.
      im sure the spike is due to stress... since my onset i have had dozens of loud moments...no spikes at all really (nothing noticeably different). Just to give you an idea i was walking out of a restaurant a few weeks ago and a women was getting into her car and accidentally hit the hazard button with me right in front of her car. She then got it to stop but accidentally turned it back on again and well you know what happened to me after that lol. I wanted to kill her lol

• Funny Funny x 1
    9. Bobbie7
      Wishful

Bobbie7 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Extreme stress, sinus infection
      Time for you to try to relax and do something you enjoy. Easier said than done but what else can we do when these things happen. Take care.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bear0211

Bear0211 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      25/02/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced....
      @Jomo haha!
      Hope so. My ears just feel so broken and fragile :( read they sirens can reach 110 db!
      And there was 2 fire engines! Think it must have been for about 20 Seconds or so! I did plug my ears. But I was freakin shaking so bad I don't think it helped much. Still so loud! Meh!

• Like Like x 1
    11. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      I can completely sympathise as I was similar when I was in the worst of my hyperacusis. That horrible feeling that these sounds are seriously damaging you.

The situation you described though is not something that will cause you harm. You have to ride out the anxiety. Those sirens may hurt and may feel horrible but they won'thave caused permanent damage. They will have spiked you and there isn't much you can do about that other than ride it out.

Having been in a similar place I know it isn't easy. I remember having a blast of compressed air one time. To me it felt like my eardrums had been perforated but nobody else was bothered. I was spiked for the rest of the day and I struggled to shake the same feelings you have right now.

It will get better.

• Like Like x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bear0211

Bear0211 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      25/02/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced....
      @Steve
      Thanks so much.
      Yeah they have definitely spiked. And I'm trying to keep calm but boy it's tough. Trying my hardest not to pop a freaking diazepam! I wouldn't say my T is mild at all too! Hypercausis seems worse too. Boke.

Yeah and because they were trying to get through a little traffic so they didn't zoom past right away! No one else seemed bothered! I must have looked a nut! But guess this is what happens when you give yourself T the way I did :(

It's hard to get my head around the fact this won't permanently damage, since they were right by me and I couldn't exactly cower anywhere. Straight road. Meh.

Ride it out I'll have to.
      Thanks again

• Funny Funny x 1
    13. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I feel the same if an ambulance has caught me off guard or a fire alarm at work. I get very stressed, anxious and angry about these things at the time. I don't think they have done any permanent damage though. If you look up the safety guidelines the ears should be able to tolerate 110 decibels for about 1 minute without damage. Hopefully your tinnitus will settle down. Today I had a work function. A smallish room with 60 people talking and loud music in the background. I lasted about 10 minutes and had to leave. It was stressful leaving as folk tried to convince me not to leave and that they would turn down the music. By then, I felt too anxious and just needed to leave. I usually avoid these situations but thought I would give it try this time. Lesson learnt. I know my limitations and need to stick by them. Living with tinnitus can be difficult.

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It is a good idea for people like us to carry Peltor muffs with us everywhere we go...

I hope your spike is only temporary.

15. jjflyman

jjflyman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise (Concert)
      Before the siren today have you had any improvement in you T in the last 5 months?

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bear0211

Bear0211 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      25/02/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced....
      @jjflyman
      Well Not really. It does fluctuate sometimes like. But my anxiety is so bad with it and depression too so no I wouldn't say so. The actual volume... no I wouldn't say it's went down. That's what distresses me. But like I say I can have one decent day. Then a bad day ect... then days like today. Boom. Hope this is just a spike :(

17. Ron Robles
      Confused

Ron Robles Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept 4 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      • Agree Agree x 1
    18. Vincent R
      Caffeine

Vincent R Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Last autumn, an ambulance started its sirenes just behind me. My T didn't get worse afterward, at least not as I could notice. I had foam earplugs inserted deep enough to cut five decibels and maybe a bit more. You plugging your ears should generate a comparable protection.

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bear0211

Bear0211 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      25/02/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced....
      @Vincent R
      It's so nervewracking. Didn't previously bat an eyelid at ambulances and fire engines before this. The stuff we need to freak over now!

My ears have definitely spiked. Maybe because there was 2! :(

20. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Hope you feel better :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bear0211

Bear0211 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      25/02/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced....
    22. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      Bear0211..did your spike subside ?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bear0211

Bear0211 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      25/02/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced....
      @Sean
      Well yeah they had calmed down....
      Better day yesterday but this morning they have spiked back up!
      I have a bad migraine (chronic migraines) so I don't know if that's playing a part. Plus I clench and crack my jaw in my sleep so Im also unsure if that's affecting my ears!

24. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unless you're actually riding in them I don't think they're going to cause any permanent damage; it's also pretty unlikely that they'd be 110db at the street level as they drove past.

• Like Like x 1
    25. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      If they were that loud, that would probably cause some serious damage to the firefighters' hearing! I don't think we have a lot of members who drive ambulances or fire trucks.

26. Joel31

Joel31 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      The smoke alarms for me are the worst. I hate them.