Dealing with the 4th of July with Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mystery Reader, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Mystery Reader

Mystery Reader Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still Under Investigation
      The Fourth of July in the states with its huge parades, loud traffic, celebrations, outdoor parties with live bands, platoons of motorcycles driving by, and explosives (firecrackers, fireworks) is of special concern to me this year. I’m not dreading it, but I am concerned – it’s the first time I’m ‘celebrating’ it with tinnitus and sound sensitivity.

This year, I know I won’t be attending parades and events. I know I won’t be standing outside watching fireworks explode and listening to people screaming appreciation as each one goes off. I know I will not be attending the cookout I have been invited to with over one hundred guests and loud music.

I’m okay with all of that.

I am not dreading the next few days, but I am concerned about them enough to know that there are things I will have to do in order to reduce stress and try and keep myself as safe as possible.

If I’m out, then I will need hearing protection with me. Period. I will need to make sure I can get at it quickly, because the explosions, loud crowds, sirens, and music aren’t confined to one area – they will be going on all around me and for several days. (In fact, it has already started.) I live very close to where the town fireworks display on the 4th will be shot off. If it’s too loud, even in the house, I intend to use my ear muffs until it’s over. It’s a drag, but at this particular time, I think it's what I need to do for myself.

In these first months of dealing with this condition I’ve had to re-think a lot of things.

I recently opted not to go to a reunion that had been over a year in the planning, because I knew it would be a loud event. (The Facebook videos proved me right!) It was disappointing, but it was the right choice at this time. I’m simply not psychologically ready for those kinds of environments. I will be, eventually, but I’m not there yet.

Still, I know with all this preparation, things can go wrong. I hope they don’t, but I know they can. I could be standing out back, and that might be the moment when someone decides to blow off fireworks two yards over. Who knows? We can’t control these things. I’ll have my muffs with me at all times, and hope for the best. I’m not planning on being outside a lot, anyway (the weather here has been very hot the past few days) but will do what I can to make myself feel safer and less stressed as the next week unfolds.

I don’t intend to ‘overprotect,’ but I do intend to protect if need be, and I won’t be second-guessing any decisions I make regarding that over the next week!

I’m about halfway through a clonazepam taper, and my t has spiked a bit. I was expecting this, and am hoping that, once I’m off the benzo, things will settle back. The next cut is due tomorrow, but I’ve decided to hold at the current dosage for at least another week, just to remove the stressor of handling the next reduction during what I know is going to be a loud and potentially stressful timeframe.

It’s what I have to do now. It’s not necessarily forever, but it’s what I have to do now.

To all in the states dealing with t and h – keep your ears (and yourselves) safe during this celebratory week. Do whatever you have to do to reduce your own stress levels – and enjoy the celebrations in the safest way possible for you!

Best,

Mystery Reader

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. emmalee
      No Mood

emmalee Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      @Mystery Reader

I hear you loud and clear (pun intended:)) about the 4th of July and all the loud activities that come along with it. This is the Canada Day weekend here and I am avoiding all of the same events that you are.

Let's talk heat! It is crazy hot here and will be for the next week or so. The humidity is out of the ball park high, too.

Good luck with the taper.:huganimation:I hope the spike will be temporary.

• Like Like x 1
    3. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      I 100% understand your concern. I would avoid being around parks and beaches. Have good ear plugs in hand and protect your ears. I feel bad for the little children, that don't know any better and having them being exposed to fireworks. I hate this holiday because people can be foolish. Just take care of yourself...

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mystery Reader

Mystery Reader Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still Under Investigation
      @emmalee
      Thanks for your good wishes on the taper. I know the benzo thing can be tricky, so I'm going slow and am okay with holding before the next cut if it's going to take some of the stress off of the upcoming week. I think we're due for several more days of this heat, although I have to say it has been cooling down nice at night. Stay hydrated, and thanks again for your kind thoughts. I hope all is well with you!

@fishbone
      Thanks so much for your support! I know you're going through a rough time right now, and the fact that you took time to reply means a lot, and says a lot about you as a person and your commitment to the people here on the forum. We're here for you, as well!

Mystery Reader

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Thank you for your kind words. My dog's situation is day by day and she is able to walk and be normal these past 2 days. I am just taking it slow and enjoying her for as long as I have her. I will always support this forum and try to help. It just makes me feel better knowing, that I may have helped one person have a better day...

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    6. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      A big hug to you fishbone. I've always felt the same with treatment discussion thoughts for others to discuss with doctors, but I also need to focus more on my many physical conditions.

I'm involved in a tinnitus awareness area that I think is important. That area is for care givers to give proper needed treatment and safe treatment for those with tinnitus. Even if I'm unable to have continued involvement with that, I glad that I did take part in some initial guideline recommendations.

• Like Like x 1