Delayed Onset of Tinnitus After Noise Exposure?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Cyberdrink, Jan 27, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. Cyberdrink

Cyberdrink Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      hello all. sorry for the frequent questions! i'm just trying to get my thoughts organized regarding tinnitus and this forum is proving to be extremely valuable. thank you so much to everyone!

so i've talked with some people (both in the open forums and in some private conversations) that report their tinnitus had a "delayed onset" or even a "very slow onset" after their noise exposure.

so, i thought i would open the question up to a broader audience by posting a specific thread for it on the board...

@erik even turned me on to this great link http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2686891/ : "It is hypothesized that a reduction in auditory nerve input leads to disinhibition of the DCN and an increase in spontaneous activity in the central auditory system, which manifests as tinnitus.49This mechanism could explain the temporary ringing sensation that can follow exposure to loud sound.50The plastic readjustments in the DCN are slow and lead to tinnitus with a delayed onset. IHC damage prevents hyperactivity in the DCN"

so, here's the question...

Q: for those with noise induced tinnitus, how long after the noise insult did your T start? also, what was the speed of onset?

as i've noted in other threads, for me personally, there was a solid week or two between the time of my noise exposure and the time of my T onset.

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    2. RaZaH
      Not amused

RaZaH Member Benefactor Team Tech

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      In my case I think it was a week or so .

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. daniel1111
      Shitfaced

daniel1111 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, repeated exposure with loud headphones.
      Mine was cumulative, I suspect over about 6 months. I only started to notice it a few weeks after I started meditating (spending a lot of time in silence) and just couldn't unnotice it!

4. ceauses97
      Speechless

ceauses97 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/12/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music/chemotherapy/hypercalcemia
      No idea. Before the onset of my tinnitus, I had been blasting a lot of loud music, almost daily since i buyed my headphones in late October. My tinnitus occured 4-5 hours after listenting to loud music December the 6. I remember laying on bed and playing chess on my phone at night all in silence for 3 hours, and then I went to sleep and woke up 1 hour later with a loud firealarm in my head. at that point, I knew i was fucked, and hear I am...

• Hug Hug x 2
    5. Cyberdrink

Cyberdrink Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @RaZaH interesting... i think this is more common that i initially thought.

at first i thought the slow/delayed onset meant that my T could not have been caused by my noise exposure (chainsaw use and log splitter use for hours without protection). so dumb! it was so loud my ears were seriously in pain with intense burning while using the equipment.

6. RaZaH
      Not amused

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      For me its hard to tell , i was quitting benzo cold turkey so I shut off my studio .
      Then I went in to listen to a trailer that I made that was just out , pretty loud to be honest.
      Then about a week later , i go this INSANE headache (probably my ears burning away the hairs)
      A few days after that , boom , woke up with the demon in my head.

7. Cyberdrink

Cyberdrink Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @RaZaH it may bring us some peace knowing that just because we didn't notice our T right after the noise exposure, it is still probably caused by noise exposure... at least that means it probably wont get any worse (as the vast majority of T caused by noise exposure is stable over time). see the below study of over 500 T patients.

"The vast majority of patients with noise trauma described their tinnitus as high-pitched and stable over time."

link: http://www.tinnitusjournal.com/detalhe_artigo.asp?id=125

8. Mithrandir
      Ape-like

Mithrandir Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma + NIHL
      when the grenade burst, my ears became fulled and right one whistle. One week after, the music began...

• Like Like x 1
    9. RaZaH
      Not amused

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Well, yeah ...mine could have been caused by Benzo withdrawal, munching on boatloads of Ibuprofen during that withdrawal or noise exposure...or all three . Im kinda fucked. :)

10. walkthroughwalls

walkthroughwalls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possibly noise
      One to two days.

11. Buckaroo
      Curious

Buckaroo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 10, 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @RaZaH Did you have any T at all right away from the onset of noise trauma? I, like you (I believe) are a musician and have been playing unprotected for quite some time up until around 2 years ago and then intermittently for a few months at a time but the last time I was around loud music was 6 months ago. Never has the T been delayed for me. Always right after rehearsal or a gig. I'm still tryin to figure my T after it arrived 24/7 two weeks ago. Perhaps some other source frequency tipped it off after a long duration of repeated noise - I was around a tile say a week prior to T but its so hard to speculate.

12. Starlord

Starlord Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Mine showed up 2.5 weeks after a one and only day where I listened to headphones and surround sound music for a pretty long time. Does anyone have input on if the onset time correlates to severity?

13. Sparkle92

Sparkle92 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/16, constant since 3/1/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus, Allergies, TMJ, Stress
      Mine happened after a virus. I knew I had high frequency hearing loss two years prior and didn't have tinnitus until after the virus I got a couple months ago.

14. Dave AUS
      Depressed

Dave AUS Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Too Loud Indoor Rock Concert
      Good question @Cyberdrink and interesting responses.

For me i had no t to start with. Went to loud concert and left with ringing ears. Next morning deaf in left ear. Hearing came back later in day but badly distorted. Ringing got worse and more nasty over the first month but mostly heard in left ear. By the second month my right ear joined in the racket but at a lower average frequencies.
      So sudden onset tinnitus but damage severity was delayed. Hyperacusis too in 3rd month for a few months. That was awful (not that t isn't but that is a different kind of awful).

Hope this helps. Interested to read others noise induced tinnitus stories.

• Hug Hug x 1