Delayed Tinnitus Spike After Deejaying

Discussion in 'Support' started by Sash, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Sash
      Doubtful

Sash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      cleaning out wax
      I have had tinnitus for a year and it's definitely increased gradually.

I don't often deejay but played at a gig on New Year Eve.

It was a loud event for four hours, normally we have a break for dinner etc so my ears get some rest, unfortunately this one went on without any stoppages.

The event was loud and I wore custom earplugs and didn't notice a spike. Unfortunately, around 10 days later I got major spike. I am trying to understand why.

The only 'loud' events in the intervening time was around 4 sessions in gym where the music was around 75 decibels (without earplugs).

It's been 10 days since the major spike and it is noticeably loud though it doesn't affect me too much in day to day life.

I had thought spikes occur instantly?

2. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      The inner ear is a fragile organ, it's great you wore musicians ear plugs but over all it's just a risk DJing as tinnitus is a sign that hearing is already damaged and once the inner ear is damaged I believe noises below 85 dB can do harm.

What originally caused your tinnitus?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sash
      Doubtful

Sash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      cleaning out wax
      Thanks for the message. Yes ears are probably vulnerable to all noises and so difficult to keep away from noise unless one becomes a recluse

I got tinnitus by stupidly sticking a match to clear ear wax. Though ears maybe sensitive at the time due to loud music.

Looks like my deejaying days are numbered which I can live with. I have a few gigs coming up which I have to decline. Music is everything to me and still want to go to music festivals around 4 times a year. I have stopped go nightclubs due to my hears and trying to sensible to persevere my nights out. I am sure someone will say don't go at all but thats my only real big enjoyment in life.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @Sash

I advise that you keep away from loud sounds and that includes no deejaying or using headphones even at low volume, as you risk your tinnitus getting a lot worse. Please read the post below which you might find helpful and click on the links for additional information.

All the best
      Michael

Are spikes from loud noise permanent?

Someone recently asked me, whether a spike in tinnitus caused by loud noise would be permanent? I don’t think there is a definitive answer, because tinnitus is a complex condition and if hyperacusis is also present it can complicate matters further. Some people habituate to tinnitus but their hyperacusis hasn’t fully cured and this can cause tinnitus to spike.

When a person first develops tinnitus and it was caused by loud noise they have to be careful in future. Tinnitus can and does spike for many people and this is not necessarily caused by loud noise or sounds. After a while it usually returns to baseline or into its normal rhythm. Danger can present itself after a person habituates and the tinnitus has reduced to mild or moderate levels for most of the time. If one isn’t careful, it can be easy to forget and slip back into the old lifestyle of: listening to music through headphones. Attending clubs, concerts and the cinema where sound levels can be quite high.

I believe a person with tinnitus should attend clubs, concerts and the cinema if they want to, providing they use noise-reducing earplugs to protect themselves. However, one should remember that nothing is one hundred percent safe. My advice is to stay clear of large standing floor speakers and if you’re at a concert don’t go to near the front stage where the music is likely to be booming out at high sound levels.

In many instances people will get a warning when visiting these places. If the decibel levels are too high their tinnitus might spike. Usually the tinnitus will return to baseline. However, some people do not pay attention to these warnings and continue to subject their ears to loud sounds and think they are perfectly safe because they are wearing earplugs. Under these circumstances the tinnitus might spike again and this time it might become permanent. I am saying might because nothing is for certain. In my opinion a person with tinnitus needs to follow the warnings their auditory system and tinnitus is telling them.

Regarding headphones. Many people have contacted me after they have habituated to tinnitus and returned to using headphones and listened to music through them at low volume. All of them have noticed an increase in their tinnitus. Some of them noticed their tinnitus spiked but carried on listening to music through headphones and then the tinnitus increased to a higher and more permanent level. It must be said that some people with tinnitus use headphones and have no adverse effects and that is perfectly fine. My opinion on this is, anyone that has tinnitus shouldn’t listen to any type of audio through headphones even at low level.

It saddens to say, if a person doesn’t heed the warning signs their auditory system and tinnitus is telling them, then they will eventually feel because tinnitus is very unforgiving. It is fine when some people are telling others what they want to hear: "listen to music through headphones because life is for living".Go to the club as often as possible you’re safe with earplugs. If your tinnitus increases you will be the one that will be in the suffering.

I have read many posts in tinnitus talk, where people had habituated and the tinnitus is low. They returned to listening to music through headphones and clubbing during the week and weekends. Some are now regretting this because their tinnitus has increased and they are in distress. Just because a person habituates doesn't mean they can forget everything and carry on in some instances recklessly. You can of course do this but my advice is to do things in moderation and not to excess, because the end result is often returning to ENT for help and visiting tinnitus forums because you are unable to cope.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/new-to-tinnitus-what-to-do.12558/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/

• Like Like x 2
    5. Tinniger

Tinniger Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain, now very somatic, started with noise?
      I have not found any information in the scientific literature describing the duration from noise exposure to the onset of tinnitus.

By the way: The term spike is also unknown in scientific literature.
      ;)

6. rdz
      Gloomy

rdz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      What would be considered too loud? I'm going to school to become a mechanic and now I'm worried that my tinnitus my get worse even with ear protection.

7. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Use proper ear protection and take breaks and you should be fine, but honestly no guarantees.

I'm making an assumption you won't be exposed to super loud noise for several hours.

8. rdz
      Gloomy

rdz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      The loud noises would mostly come from using power tools or an air compressor but it's only for a few minutes never hours. Do you know of any good or trusted ear protection?

9. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      If a person has tinnitus caused by "exposure to loud noise" and experiences hyperacusis too, almost any sound can feel too loud but this won't necessarily cause damage to the ears or auditory system, although an increase in the tinnitus known as a spike is often felt.

The best way to know if a sound or the environment that you are in is too loud, is by assessing how your ears feel. Please be aware, if you start using ear protection regularly, whether foam or noise reducing earplugs, then you risk "lowering" the loudness threshold of your auditory system and your ears, will become more sensitive to sound and other problems such as phonophobia and misophonia may result. I know two people in this forum that developed phonophobia and misophonia, in addition to their tinnitus and hyperacusis because of overusing earplugs.

Please click on the links below that you might find helpful.
      Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/the-complexities-of-tinnitus-and-hyperacusis.25733/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    10. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      Auto Mechanic is not too bad not too loud you can keep a pair of earmuffs at hand and just quickly put those on much better than plugs especially with dirty hands

DJ is going to be dangerous the powerful bass sounds can bypass hearing protection and cause damage

You won't be protected with earplugs in a loud club for sure, maybe peltor x5 is a much better choice but you need the "balls" to go with that appearance

11. Emperor-Drax

Emperor-Drax Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud bang on metal with a mallet
      Wear a set of Pelters to a DJ gig. People will just think you're wearing a cool set of headphones.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      If external sound is loud enough it will pass through the head/skull and be transferred to the inner ear by bone conduction and spike the tinnitus making it possible, to increase to a new and permanent level. Not even the best hearing protection can stop this happening. The same applies to low frequency bass; if powerful enough, it will pass up through the body towards the head and spike the tinnitus.

Michael

13. Emperor-Drax

Emperor-Drax Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud bang on metal with a mallet
      I DJ'd at a restaurant over a decade ago with hearing protection and never experienced anything like the Krakatoa blast.

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sash
      Doubtful

Sash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      cleaning out wax
      Hi @Michael Leigh

I have deejayed a few times since I have got tinnitus but not had a spike. I think the problem with the recent event was there was no break and was rather loud. I have tired to stay away from headphones for the past year apart from when deejaying after reading your previous informative posts. What I can 't understand is the delayed reaction from the event

I agree deejaying is probably have the most impact on the ears, I will have to give up deejaying but may just go clubbing ocassionally and be sensible which I have been for the past year

15. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Tough environment, but at least not super loud. You could go with a pair of 3M ear muffs, and put them on. When you use the compressor or a power tool.

My other concern is that there would be noise from adjacent workers with similar tools nearby. Would need to measure the ambient noise, and decide if it warranted foam ear plugs for protection continuously.

Truth be told, your employer should have a noise assessment, and advise you how to be safe.

Sometimes it is easy to underestimate the noise exposure of these types of environments, and it fully protect and end up with more damage compared to the factory workers with the loud machine running continuously it is more obvious of the need for continuous protection.

Although somewhat basic, this has some useful info on the topic.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAAegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw2mIjztHn8OUkOq1Lf99t5G

16. rdz
      Gloomy

rdz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Do you think using musician earplugs could be better than the big ones?

17. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      It all depends how loud it is. Musician ear plugs let you have some hearing, but are less protective. This is why need some hard numbers on how loud it is.

18. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @Sash

Thank you for your kind comments.

I am pleased to hear that you haven't had anymore serious issues with tinnitus spiking. It is something that can be very unpredictable and affect people differently. I am referring to the delayed reaction that you mention. Please be in no doubt, if you expose your ears and auditory system to overly loud sounds, or start to use "headphones" on a regular basis even at low volume, you are putting yourself at great risk of making the tinnitus increase to a new and permanent level.

I am sorry to sound so sobering and do understand your passion for music. I am an Audiophile and enjoy listening to music replayed on high-quality audio equipment. I have gone to great lengths to retrieve as much musical information from my Turntable/vinyl records and CD player using the best mains and audio cables that I can afford and acoustically treating my listening room, as anything less just doesn't cut if for me.

I wish you well.
      Michael

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sash
      Doubtful

Sash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      cleaning out wax
      Hi @Michael Leigh

Thanks gain, you know so so much and helped so many people. You should advise on a professional level as you know more about tinnitus than any medical professional I know.

Apologies I didn't ask you - how is your tinnitus. Do you go to music events etc ?

Actually there is a possibility I could continue Deejay around couple of times a year but not using headphones. Not ideal but better than nothing.

I take the view now tinnitus is for life and just need to protect them so they do not get worse and thats' the biggest concern. At the moment I can do the large room music festivals taking the necessary precautions but that would be devastating if tinnitus takes that away from me too.

20. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @Sash

Thank you once again for your kind comments they are much appreciated. You, I and others in this forum know a lot more about tinnitus than any ENT doctor and I will explain my reasons for saying this.

ENT doctors are physicians they are not tinnitus experts. They know about the anatomy of the Ear, Nose and throat and able to treat these organs medically or surgically and this I believe the majority will do well, as this is their area of expertise. Tinnitus is an entirely different kettle of fish. Unless a person has experienced, it or more importantly lives with the condition, they cannot possibly understand it or be able to empathize and treat a person that has tinnitus.

When there is no underlying medical problem associated with the ear and auditory system causing the tinnitus, a person will usually be referred to a Hearing Therapist or Audiologist. These health professionals that practice tinnitus and hyperacusis treatment and management with patients, were often (but not always) born with tinnitus or acquired it at some time in their life.

I do counsel and advise people with tinnitus that choose to contact me by: telephone, email and at tinnitus forums and have done so for quite some time. The only music events that I go to now is at the Theatre to see an opera or listen to a live classical music performence. My disco and raving days have long passed...lol

Take care
      Michael

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    21. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      I think it’s like playing with fire.
      You have T but you need to realise most of those top djs who have been abusing their ears for years not only have screaming T, but also massive hearing loss - in some cases they’re already pretty much deaf.

22. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I have fully habituated to my tinnitus and most of the time it remains mild to moderate which I can easily cope with. There are periods when it is completely silent. It can also increase to severe levels where I occasionally take clonazepam to calm it down. I have an unusual form of tinnitus according to my ENT consultant and Hearing Therapist, as they don't see many patients with this type. Completely silent, mild, moderate, severe and very severe.

Michael

23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sash
      Doubtful

Sash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      cleaning out wax
      Hi @Michael Leigh

Your knowledge of Tinnitus is remarkable and how you are able to put everything into perspective. I often agree with your views. Is counselling/support part of the services you formally offer ? I am not at that stage yet.

I am sorry you are suffering and perhaps resigned that it will always be the same . I too have resigned it will not get better and have accepted it. My issue is that it is getting gradually worse and I know from this forum it can get unbearable for some .

I still want to go out say once a month be it clubbing or deejaying (which happens max 3 times a year). Actually, with the deejaying I may just setup everything up for my mate to play including playlists but just be in the background to help out. Won't enjoy as much but hey at least better than nothing. I darn't touch the headphones anymore as that what caused the spike earlier which has not settled down and seems permanent especially as I have ear fullness on top. I can feel its like an injury this time round better take it easy for the next month or so.

24. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @Sash

Anyone that wishes to contact me for counselling or advice about tinnitus via telephone, email or PM I will happily do so.

Noise induced tinnitus which I suspect you have, will only get worse if a person exposes themselves to overly loud sounds or uses headphones. Some people with NIT, use headphones without any adverse effects but this is often not the case. The tinnitus only needs to spike once and it's gave over!

All the best
      Michael