Dentist Claims Dental Work Cannot Make Tinnitus Worse

Discussion in 'Support' started by Lynny, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Lynny

Lynny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, possibly stress
      I have to get 5 fillings and 5 teeth pulled (4 of them wisdom teeth). They don’t know why my teeth are that bad. I planned them some time apart so I can assess the effects on my tinnitus. I’m so so devastated as my tinnitus is already becoming worse without any exposure to loud sounds, let alone dentist equipment!

Expressed my concerns to my dentist and he said in all his years he’d never come across anything about it in any of the literature he’s read. I am terrified for all the procedures but they are necessary (according to him).

Does anyone have any reliable sources / links that I can send to him with information about hearing loss / tinnitus (increases) due to loud drills or dental work in general?

Thanks so much in advance.

2. Matas
      Amazed

Matas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Concert
      Hey,

I had 5 cavities recently filled as well. I separated them into 3 different appointments and my dentist was using air abrasion instead of the drill for cavities and it was not too loud. Air abrasion works only for small cavities tough, ask your dentist if you can do it. I had no issues with my tinnitus or hyperacusis.

• Informative Informative x 1
    3. boliston
      No Mood

boliston Member

Tinnitus Since:
      30th April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      As your tinnitus is still quite new (less than a year) I would probably delay the dental treatment for now unless it is causing you pain. It's similar to avoiding other loud noise (concerts, clubs etc) for 'new' tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lynny

Lynny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, possibly stress
      Problem is the cavities will get bigger and they’ll have to spend even more time doing the fillings:(

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lynny

Lynny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, possibly stress
      I haven’t heard of air abrasion, how does that work? Glad to hear it didn’t make it worse. I just got over my fear of dentists but now with t I’m very scared :(

6. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Yes, dental work can definitely spike your tinnitus if the procedure is loud. Find a new dentist.

• Agree Agree x 5
    7. Notch

Notch Member

Tinnitus Since:
      25/3/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dentist clean
      I got my tinnitus from a new dentist cleaning my wisdom teeth. It wasn't the noise, but the high frequency vibration which only those specific teeth seemed to bone-conduct straight to my cochlear. Unfortunately, I was tinnitus-naive and didn't stop him.

Before this incident, I'd been to other dentists twice a year for almost thirty years, and never had an issue. So your odds are good - just make sure you stop them if you think it's too much, like I should have.

--just reread that you're getting your wisdom teeth pulled - that's probably safer than getting them worked on!

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. Steve G

Steve G Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20th November 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Slap to left ear made worse by ultrasonic dental clean 2019
      Ultrasonic Dental cleaning has destroyed me.

• Hug Hug x 2
    9. Notch

Notch Member

Tinnitus Since:
      25/3/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dentist clean
      Yeah I will never let them use an ultrasonic scaler on me again.

Your profile says you got tinnitus from a slap - did you then go to a dentist and have it worsen?

10. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      No one understands noise can cause injury. Loud drills will make you worse. It's no different then avoiding a concert or a chainsaw.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. Steve G

Steve G Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20th November 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi, I went to the dentist on the 25 June 2019, had a check up and a clean, unfortunately I had never heard of a ultrasonic cleaner before. The hygienist asked if I had any medical conditions and I told them I suffer from tinnitus, however she still went ahead with the clean which took about 30-40 minutes, she kept hitting my rear molars which I kept having to stop her as the noise was terrible.

I have just returned to work after 4 weeks off, that machine destroyed everything for me. I was doing so well before this procedure. The tones in my head are all so different now and I also have ringing in my right ear as well. I cannot put into words how much damage that clean has done me emotionally. I am just so sad.

• Hug Hug x 3
    12. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
    13. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      Don't delay, have the work done with the wisdom teeth and fillings, and get a manual, rather than ultrasonic, cleaning - which they all know how to do because patients with pacemakers are not supposed to be exposed to ultrasonic teeth cleaning equipment.

14. Matas
      Amazed

Matas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Concert
      Its like a sandblaster that washes out the cavity instead of drilling. Its still can be loud for some people, but better than the drill. You should be alright, try not to delay it for too long.

15. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Lynny

It is unfortunate that you are in this situation. Teeth need to be checked regularly and if any problems are found they should be dealt with. Failure to do this could result in multiple tooth extractions and lead to gum disease. I have variable tinnitus which can reach very severe levels requiring me to take clonazepam to calm it down. Fortunately, I don't always have to rely on it, as the tinnitus can reduce by itself but it's nice to know I have this medication to hand.

I regularly have dental check-ups and have had root-canal work, fillings and a couple extractions. Fortunately, I haven't noticed any increase in the tinnitus. Over the years I have mentioned the tinnitus to more than one dentist and they casually brush it aside as unimportant. This cavalier approach towards tinnitus is not right but I'm afraid this is often the case. Many of us know the attitude of some ENT doctors: learn to live with it nothing can be done.

Try to calm yourself down and relax. You need to have this dental treatment and I agree that you should have it in stages. Saying that I think if you are not careful, discussing it in this forum and researching dental procedures and tinnitus via Google etc, you are setting yourself up for a whole lot stress and anxiety. Remember, tinnitus is intrinsically linked to our mental and emotional wellbeing. By worrying over it as you've mentioned in your post: Terrified, you're likely to make your tinnitus ramp up purely by the power of thought processing.

Please try and help yourself by not talking about what you inevitably have to have done in order to keep stress to a minimum.

Take care and I wish you well.
      Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Before you go for a traditional drill, make sure your cavities can't be dealt with while using a laser drill.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    17. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      Sorry to read this :/
      It troubled my tinnitus for about one week (this is the only dental work that affected my T).
      @Lynny Make sure the dentist avoids the ultrasonic tool if they suggest you a plaque removal/cleaning.

18. Notch

Notch Member

Tinnitus Since:
      25/3/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dentist clean
      I'm so sorry to hear that mate, I know how you feel. It sucks when you are trying to do something right, like getting a check-up, and it turns into a nightmare like this.

Here's hoping it gets better for you, and if not, hopefully a cure comes soon.

19. Steve G

Steve G Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20th November 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks. Normal dental drilling has never bothered me, however that ultrasonic machine not only made my tinnitus bad, it also had a massive effect on my whole body almost like every nerve ending had been over stimulated. This went on for a couple of weeks and is now starting to subside. It is so hard to explain, it was like I went rigid and was literally shaking inside from the vibration, not really sure what happened or how to exactly explain it but it had such a bad effect on me.

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lynny

Lynny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, possibly stress
      I’m so scared now. I don’t know what to do. I don’t have the money or resources to go to another dentist that might use different equipment. Train’s passing by make mine worse, let alone a dentist drill for longer 10 min.

(Off topic)

My life right now is being confined to my home to avoid loud sounds and complete silence. I lost 90% of my social circle and I’m a burden to my family. I literally have no life anymore.

I’ve been thinking a lot about going to the same place that Gaby did to apply for euthanasia, since that can be a long process (think, more than 8 years in cases like this) The truth is I want nothing more than to live. Just not like this. I’m already scared to live day to day, I don’t know how I’m going to get through these appointments

• Hug Hug x 2
    21. Cojackb
      Fine

Cojackb Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Lynny

I had a wisdom tooth pulled after my T got worse. They had to do A LOT of drilling as my wisdom teeth are generally quite planted in place.

My T was a bit aggravated for a few days but went back to baseline afterwards. I've got to get another wisdom tooth pulled soon which I'm putting off, not because of the T but I'm just in no hurry to let those mouth butchers back in there yet :LOL:.

The drills are tricky because even wearing ear plugs doesn't really defend your ears due to the bone conduction from vibrations etc.

Ideally you'd want a dentist who understands your condition better, but I did read somewhere that if they can do any drilling at intervals e.g. drill for 30 seconds / 1 minute and take a minute or two break it can help.

I think you'll be ok, either way I'm "rooting" for you....get it...I'll see myself out.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    22. Ricardo AM
      No Mood

Ricardo AM Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1999 / Hyperacusis since 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acustic trauma
      @Lynny,

Avoid lound sounds is a smart thing to do!......about the rest you should see the positive sides like as find your "real and true friends" when you feel down.....and im very sure your family loves you and support you!

What about read this thread:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/frequency-therapeutics-—-hearing-loss-regeneration.18889/page-148#post-461848

I guess we all have some hopes, dont you?!
      :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lynny

Lynny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, possibly stress
      Update: I may have found a reasonably priced dentist that uses laser techniques for drilling. It might fix my worries about the fillings but I have no idea what getting my wisdom teeth removed will do to my tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    24. Mal58

Mal58 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise? Headphones?
      • Informative Informative x 2
    25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lynny

Lynny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, possibly stress
      Thanks!! That’s exactly the type of information I’m looking for! If you come across anything similar feel free to share:) Very helpful, thanks again

26. GoatSheep

GoatSheep Guest

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sc...hows-fillings-aren-t-needed-in-many-cases/amp

Many dentists are eager to drill. One in Columbus, Ohio where I live told my soon to be ex-wife she needed 5 fillings and me I needed 3. I brush my teeth twice a day and use mouthwash.

I went to another dentists for a second opinion and ended up he said I needed no fillings and my wife only need 1-2 I can’t remember.

Dentists are like any other industry these days in many cases. All about the income.

• Agree Agree x 1
    27. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Totally agree; consumer beware! I've heard stories of people being told they need a root canal (and other expensive treatments), only to get a second opinion and find it that it's totally unnecessary. Hmmm, root canal, there's a $1,000+ pop right there. Sure helps pay the bills..........

• Agree Agree x 1
    28. Notch

Notch Member

Tinnitus Since:
      25/3/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dentist clean
      Great article on The Atlantic about it:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2019/05/the-trouble-with-dentistry/586039/

29. Kelvin

Kelvin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Work
      @Lynny
      Not sure I can help, or fully put your mind at rest...as my T started after a dental filling.:confused:
      However, for what its worth...I do think (in my case) it had more to do with trauma to my jaw.
      This was probably made worse by me being nervous and tense during the procedure.
      I honestly don't think the noise of the drill was to blame, although it is a horrible noise.
      In essence I was tense (as I always am at the dentist ) and something happened that day hasn't corrected since.
      I should say I can lower and change my T noise for a few seconds by tensing my jaw.
      So my advice would be...to make sure you head is properly supported during your procedure, and you are as calm as is possible.
      I have been back to the dentist since that fateful day and have had a further filling. I tried desperately to be more relaxed and the good news is that I did not experience any worsening of my T.
      I tried wearing foam earplugs but actually took them out as oddly they seemed to make the noise worse...no idea why but it was not pleasant.
      If I was you I would try some music you find calming ( played quietly ) through some over-ear NC headphones ( Bose or similar) as this might take the edge off the drill noise and more importantly make your relax and concentrate on the music and not the procedure.
      I wish you all the best, but try your best to relax and explain to the dentist that you have T.
      If your dentist offer free Vodka shots, and you have a ride home, then maybe consider it...:watching: :cool:
      Hoping your having relatively T free day today x

• Like Like x 1
    30. Mal58

Mal58 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise? Headphones?
      These days? I'm old enough to remember there was never a golden age.

In the 1970s/80s the NHS dentists in the UK were well paid to drill and fill. As a result I have a mouth full of fillings! More recently, the incentives to drill & fill were taken away, and I've had far fewer fillings since then.