Depakote (Valproate)

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by Golly, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      • Like Like x 2
    2. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      If there is one good anecdotal experience, there's often a bad one too. Just to give some perspective...

Valproate-induced tinnitus misinterpreted as psychotic symptoms.

and

Valproic-acid induced hearing loss and tinnitus. (caused tinnitus in two patients)

Further studies on the safety & efficacy of this substance is definitely warranted.

With what little I could find, I'm not holding my breath, but thanks for bringing it up. Who knows...

In any case, funding a study exploring the effects of a substance like this would be much more welcomed than giving continual handouts to treatments such as Neuromonics and SoundCure. In my humble opinion.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      I agree Markku, further studies on these would be good as well as other drugs currently available. There is a history of some successes with anti-convulsants like Lamictal, Tegratal with some types of tinnitus, but also do nothing for others. Some people had their T eliminated using them, others had it get worse. Acamprosata, was once thought to be promising for tinnitus after some Brazilian studies found it be highly effective for tinnitus but further studies found the opposite to be true. Unfortunately, the downside is that most anti-convulsants is bad side effects, often worse than just having T.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
    5. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      The quoted link and the first link you gave us ( http://jnnp.bmj.com/content/65/5/803.1.full ) in your first post are related to one and the same case study.

A 53-year-old with viral cardiomyopathy.

The case study seems to have been published in 1998, so it's been a long time and it hasn't sparked further studies.

Which is a shame. I suppose researchers may consider one or two case studies too coincidental and not worth pursuing for unless more data becomes available. It's been 15 years since the published case study and very limited amount of data is available today regarding this substance and tinnitus.

@erik is also right about the side effects of these type of drugs.
      On a related note, I remember the Brazilian study. The expectations because of that Brazilian study were quite high for Acamprosate. The OHSU study concluded it wasn't effective at all.
      Maybe the study design in the Brazilian study was faulty or prone to bias (or then the OHSU one, which I don't think so with their excellent track record).
      More about Acamprosate here: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/acamprosate.394/

:(

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      Right you are, Markku---I guess the existence of a solitary data point is a bit disappointing! -G

7. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      I am still trying Depakote 125mg delayed release, although I didn't take it last night. I woke up this morning with bad neck pains shooting into my shoulder blades and upper arm area and also loud hissing. So I thought I probably needed neck surgery, even though the orthopedic doctor said I was not a candidate for that several months ago.

I then took Gabapentin 600mg +Clonazepam .5mg ( my standard dose) and also got busy working, and the neck pain and tinnitus pretty much went away. I was very happy with that of course and felt pretty normal. I don't know if the Depakote in my system is helping me or not, as I will continue to experiment with it. I do not want impaired thinking that could come as a side effect of some meds, and will weigh out the pros & cons.

I am also using the ReSound Alera TS hearing aids and believe they are of some benefit. I am curious how well the microphone will work for wireless streaming from my mp3 player to the hearing aid. I will have to wait a few more days to try that.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      @just1morething:

Are you working closely with your doctor? I expect that (s)he would have some insight into what is causing what in your case.

As for the Gabapentin/Klonopin cocktail, do you take as needed? My understanding is that one needs to build Gabapentin up in the system, which can take weeks. Anyway, I am happy to hear that your neck pain and tinnitus subsided!

-Golly

9. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Golly

I am working somewhat closely with my doctor as she prescribed 30 days of generic Depakote at my request. I called today to see if there were blood tests needed while on this med. I was prescribed delayed release Depakote 125mg. I see there is a extended release also, but I am not sure if that is the same thing or not.

I guess I pretty much take it as needed on the Gabapentin+ Klonopin. I usually take a Gralise 600mg at night to try to eliminate my awakening tinnitus. I will continue on the Depakote also as 2 seizure drugs may be better than one, as I see McMurdo mentioned.

You may want to titrate up on the Gabapentin... maybe from 100mg to 600mg gradually. BTW, the Gabapentin somehow magnifies the Klonopin effects and could make you quite tired early on. The renowned tinnitus doctor in New York , Dr. Abraham Shulman still recommends that combo for tinnitus, I believe.

Side effects such as dry mouth and fatigue should also be considered before trying these meds.

-just1morething

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      @just1morething;

I believe that we are attempting to do the same thing through different medications. I have yet to take a drug that actually reduces tinnitus per se. Instead, I attempt to mitigate the tinnitus that sets in upon waking. I find that Xanax or Klonopin in the evening helps me in that regard. When I used to take Remeron infrequently (I now take it nightly), it had the same effect of giving me silence upon waking.

As for using two seizure drugs to control sleep-related tinnitus, there is a guy at TSMB who has had success with Oxcarbazepine and Keppra.

-Golly

11. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
    12. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think I will discontinue Depakote as it does not seem to help. Probably drop hearing aids as well and will see what the Tinnitus Clinic in Edina, MN has to offer. If they think hearing aids are the answer, I will find out. I will update on my visit to them, but they probably are 2-3 weeks out for a appt.

My tinnitus seemed to start after a airplane flight in 2008 fom Chicago to Minneapolis, when my left eustachian tube could not handle the descending of the flight. It is all second guessing as to what I should have or should have not done. It is time for me to move on, because my present hissing sound is not satisfactory, not satisfactory at all!:(

13. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      I'm sorry nothing is working for you. That tinnitus clinic in Edina, MN, seems first rate. I know you'll have good luck! :) Try to stay positive and keep us posted!

• Like Like x 1
    14. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks @jazz for your support. I hope you are doing well. I may have too many stressors in my life now that could be a factor in my current tinnitus as well as my poor diet (pizza w/green olives yesterday). I may try meds again to try to dampen the noise.

I am wearing the ReSound hearing aids but am not sure they are helping. It seems that meds have more effect but you have to deal with some side effects such as dry mouth, sleepiness, etc.

• Like Like x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      Stay strong, @just1morething. I am confident that, with or without the clinic in MN, you will figure out a solution. In any case, your tinnitus will subside once diet and stress are under control. As you know, these are key factors affecting the perception of tinnitus and how we deal with it. Keep us posted! -Golly

16. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks @Golly

I am much better today and at times quiet. My latest thing is to quit the proton pump inhibitors, such as Protonix which I was on until a couple days ago. There is some chance that they could affect your tinnitus, especially if you have anxiety and/or depression, from what I read.

I am trying to get away from pop and drink milk at night, as I read can help with acid reflux. Pop has too many calories and I read that diet pop with the aspertame can be bad also, so I will drink mainly water.

On a side note, I have not commented on my RF Neuro Ablations of my neck, as the results can take can take 6-8 weeks. I will assess it later, if there might be a connection with tinnitus. I know the back of my neck is sure numb!

I took a Gralise (24hour Gabapentin) tonight and will see if I can mitigate the morning hissing sound. I will look at the Yuku sites later, as I was never a member there. I hope you are doing well!

-just1morething

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      @just1morething

Glad you are feeling better. When things get bad, remember to take a step back (so to speak) and know that it is temporary and that you WILL feel better again.

As for PPIs, I have been on and off of them for years (I suffer from a disorder called eosinophilic esophagitis). I have closely monitored my tinnitus in relation to Protonix and have never noticed that it made my tinnitus worse. But see for yourself as everyone is different.

Best, and stay in touch, Golly.

PS. There is a lot of information at TSMB; but the bickering is rife and I find that detracts from the overall experience.

18. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Golly

Yes, I have heard of some negatives relating to that website. I have tried going off PPI's also with no benefit....but you have to try something. I was out and about today, but unfortunately I was not feeling normal. My "supersonic ears" still trouble me.

I agree with you on another thread that sleep starts and stops your tinnitus, but have never heard anyone state it that way....well done! I don't know why some people say they have 24/7 ringing, when sleep shuts off your tinnitus. What a nightmare it would be if we dreamed about tinnitus also!

I will try CPAP tonight because my body really ached today and sleep is usually the problem. It seems that when I use the CPAP my noise is better the next day also. For now I will treat the sleep apnea and stay away from the Protonix, but will probably get bad acid reflux and go back on it then.:(

Until medical science comes to are rescue, the battle will continue. I had my left ear injected with dexamethasone here in MN and also in Memphis at Shea, so I am not too keen about AM-101 working, or at least skeptical of it "curing" us. My right ear rings some as well, probably from my noise exposure.

Harvest is near so I will again be tested by noise, and hope to have some success in dealing with it. We will stay in touch. To all mankind & beasts as well (including felines :) ) Goodnight!

-just1morething

• Like Like x 1
    19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      @just1morething:

Have you tried H2 blockers, like Zantac? Admittedly, they are not as good as PPIs; but they do work to some extent. One thing I have done is alternate between these drugs on a daily basis (i.e., Protonix one day, Zantac the next, etc.).

Anyway, I hope you enjoy some good sleeps and quiet days this weekend!

-Best, Golly

• Like Like x 1
    20. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      @just1morething Be sure to wear earplugs when you're at your machinery! I'm glad you're feeling better, but I would still think about some other type of treatment, like a sound therapy. Unless, you want to go back to your hearing aids, which enable you to do a TRT. And, of course, avoid foods that contain MSG and apertame. :)

• Like Like x 1
    21. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Golly,@jazz:

Thanks for your great advice....now I have to get it thru my thick head.:DNo, I have'nt tried Zantac, but that would be a possibility. I am trying to back off on the soda, so I don't get too much acid reflux. I actually been drinking a lot of milk and its working quite well. I read that the PPI's have some effect on calcium intake, so there is increased risk of bone fractures and decreased vitamin B12 deficiency (Wikipedia)

Lately I have been going to the local mall and testing how my tinnitus acts in the real world and not just at home. I have been having a Wetzel Dog craving lately and go there to test out my tinnitus. The first time I failed and my ringing overwhelmed me. But the most recent Wetzel Dog experiment went very well and I felt like normal. I also began to notice people walking by me.....why do most of the women wear skintight jeans or black tights, if thats what you call them?@jazz. Golly & I would probably look silly in them. lol.

Anyway, I am hoping to get 2 out of 3 good Wetzel's, because that ain't bad!:)

I likewise am wishing @Golly,@jazz a quiet and happy weekend.

My best,
      -just1morething

22. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      This morning I have very bad awakening tinnitus, especially in my left ear...very disturbing. I forgot to use my elastic mandibular advancer last night and that could be partially why. The TMJ doc said I have TMD on my left side, but I didn't believe him. He said it could be one of the tinnitus causes.

Did not mean to offend on the Wetzel post if I did.:( BTW, I like them with pizza sauce.:D

23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      @just1morething

I agree that I would look silly in black tights! I am glad your Wetzel dog experiment went well. Sorry to hear you are having a rough day, though. Know that it will pass and you'll feel fine again soon.

I have been told that I have minor TMJ. I pursued this avenue a year or two ago. Treatments did not seem to affect my tinnitus, however, so I gave up. The fact that my face gets sore at the end of a bad day and that I can make my tinnitus louder by pressing on my right jaw bone makes me think TMJ is a contributing factor in my case. Maybe I should try a mandibular advancer, too?

-Golly

24. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I am not the best for advice, being I have loud hissing in my head right now. I will definitely use CPAP and/or the mandibular advancer tonight as I am bad today. My neck is also sore, as I was doing a lot of physical work yesterday.

I don't want to sound silly, but I did have 2 Wetzel dogs today and my hissing is about 9-10 right now. I was also feeling kinda light headed today, so I don't know if it is all diet. Tonight my only way to shut off the noise will be sleep.

Thanks for your advice and support.

25. J M

J M Member

Tinnitus Since:

Bump.

What's wrong with TSMB, anyway?

You can't even have a decent discussion about tinnitus and its causes over there without being jumped on by a handful of know-it-alls. Especially if you mention anything about ototoxicity.

Thank goodness it's not that way here.

• Agree Agree x 1
    26. Kyxwz
      No Mood

Kyxwz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      x
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      x
    27. RachelP

RachelP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss
      I realize this is a very old post, but I have just recently started to wonder if my tinnitus is related to or caused by the Valproic Acid that I took from age 16-28 (for epilepsy). I do have a hearing problem and now am completely deaf with insanely maddening, constant, low frequency tinnitus. Being deaf, I have very few treatment options available to me (masking, noise therapy, etc). I no longer take Valproic Acid, and would never go back on that crap.

But the reason I wonder if there is a connection is because I have 2 brothers and 3 cousins that are all deaf, and I'm the only one that has horrible tinnitus and I'm also the only one with epilepsy. Coincidence??

• Hug Hug x 2
    28. Vin

Vin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      Hi,

Upon further discussion with my Doctor, he has discussed several medications to try for stabilizing my mood and depression.

Has anyone here been on Depakote / Sodium Valproate?

If so, what effects has it had, positive or negative on your tinnitus and mood?

My concern is that all of the mood stabilizers list ‘ringing in the ears’ as a side effect (Lamictal, Tegretol, Depakote, Lithium, Trileptal etc.). There are anecdotal reports scattered online that report both negative and positive experiences with Depakote and others, as it relates to tinnitus.

I am just looking for some further experiences. I am willing to try the medications but am very nervous about it making my tinnitus worse. Just our luck, some meds that can help even out our moods and anxiety all have ‘tinnitus’ listed as a side effect to one degree or another. Hmph.

Thanks to any and all responses.

29. Codaz

Codaz Member

Sorry for the late reply but yes I have been on 500 mg Depakine / Depakote (brand name Enteric). It was prescribed to fight my Meniere's disease and/or vestibular migraine attacks. Long story short, yes, it affects your mood. It is a mood stabilizer. I was more of a zombie when I took the 500 mg. When you take less of it your mood becomes better. But the effects that you take it for become worse. For the tinnitus there was a spike in the last months but I'm not really sure it is related to Depakote. In the first months I did even think that my tinnitus was lower because of the Depakote.

FYI: Prednisone is also used to combat tinnitus and sudden deafness and yes it lists tinnitus as a potential side effect.

I'm not sure what to take and what to not take. The Meniere's and facial pain I have drove me absolutely insane so it was either that or taking some medication.

What you can do is start very low. Take half a pill of Tegretol. Depakine cannot be sliced, only lowered in dose. The lower dose of Depakine is called Natrium Valproate (Valproic Acid) and in 150 mg these pills can be sliced to 75 mg. Or you can take 2x 150 mg which is 300 mg. I tapered from 500 mg to 3x 150 mg to 2x 150 mg to 1x 150 mg and then stopped. Now I'm taking Tegretol 2x 100 mg per day. Not for tinnitus per se but for TMJD which has a huge effect on my tinnitus and Meniere's.

• Winner Winner x 1