Depression and Anxiety

Discussion in 'Support' started by derpytia, Aug 28, 2014.

1. derpytia
      Pooptoast

derpytia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014 (many increases since then)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Progressive hearing loss / noise / ETD
      So I've been diagnosed by a therapist with severe depression and anxiety. I think to some extent I've always had anxiety but never have I experienced the absolute beast that is real depression until after I got the T. I don't want to take anymore medications than I'm already taking for my health problems, plus I know that a lot of depression and anxiety medications are ototoxic when taken for a long period of time. So I'm here asking, if any of you are going through the same thing how do you deal with it or combat it and how do you not let your T play into it and make it worse? Any tips or strategies or personal stories would be most appreciated.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      I had on and off depression due to prior condition of anxiety and panic disorders. When I felt my life trapped by the A & P attacks which I was sometimes powerless to stop by my will power, then depression set in. I had to use SSRI AD like Prozac & Tricyclic AD like Amitriptyline to help cut off the edges. But honestly, I find the outdoors the best medicine. Things like hiking, camping, fishing, bird watching, these are just the best medicines for me and there are no side effects. The brain is dying to have some stimulation to cheer itself up. LOL. And getting active in doing things which interest you is the best way to put life force back to the depressed brain. T used to cause depression during the initial days. But now the brain just doesn't care about T high or low. Habituation can help do that when T is no longer perceived as a threat. I now live life abundantly filling it with fun and meaningful things to stimulate my brain to stay active and positive. It has been a few years since I need the meds. A change of approach from negativity to positivity has helped immensely.

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      @derpytia i've read some of your posts and you seem quite troubled by your tinnitus.
      If you've actually been diagnosed with severe depression, maybe you should start thinking about going on an AD and maybe an anxiolytic. It's a vicious circle ... tinnitus -> depression -> anxiety -> tinnitus.

A decent anxiolytic will help break that circle. Then the AD will kick in and you'll have a much better chance of fighting off your T for good.

Don't be scared about ototoxicity and such... Anxiety (in large doses :) )can be ototoxic itself.
      There are drugs that are in no way proven ototoxic (Remeron comes to mind).

Talk it over with your doc. Sometimes drugs are necessary. If you had severe pneumonia, would you risk trying to fight it off without medication?

Also, billie's advice is golden. Go out, enjoy life, try to take your mind off the sound, it can't and won't harm you in any way because it's just some stupid noise. Nothing more.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    4. kevin b
      Fine

kevin b Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2014
      I am sorry for your pain-The BEAST of depression is horrible. I am going thru a relapse now of 9 months after having it under control for a good ten years. I know a lot of people are anti drugs and I understand that. I will only say that if you have "true" depression it is not a illness that you can just will away. People with diabetes don't like to take insulin daily but they need it, real depression usually needs meds to help, maybe not forever but at least long enough for you to stabilize. I might have gotten T from ADs, I don't know but right now I don't care. I can gurantee you this no matter what you do, if you get your depression and anxiety under control you will have an easier time dealing with your T. I know these meds have saved my life before and I am now trying my third different med to try to beat the BEAST. Trust me, these meds have helped more people than they have hurt, that is a fact, but yes you will hear people who have had bad experiences, just like people will on ANY drug. If you go the med route find a doctor you trust, discuss your fears and concerns and hopefully you will find the right med. You must have a positive mind set, be ready to go thru some annoying side effects and give the medicine at least 4 weeks at the right dose to start helping. Good luck, getting help in the most important step.

• Agree Agree x 3
    5. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
    6. Mark McDill
      Curious

Mark McDill Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely stress, anxiety, an antibiotic and nsaids
      derpytia
      I think knowing the core cause of your depression is important; if it is physiological/biological then ADs would be a consideration; however, if it is a direct result of your T (and the trauma) then I would hold out as long as you can (for habituation) because, like you say, many of the ADs are ototoxic (and you really don't need that now).

Mark

7. 111

111 Member

i have been through the same path, and still going, i dont take any more anti d at all, tried 8 different ones, everyone had some serious side effect to me so not doing them any more. Got some xanax over a year ago and have used less than half of them, again dont want to get used to using these addictive meds. Exercise is good for releasing the good chemicals in your head, i have just started to take st johns wart ( as recommended by my Dr, some reports say it is as good prozac, and been used for years ) and believe it or not if you eat a carbohydrate before you go to bed it has an effect on the good chemicals in your head as well ( eat a potato and try it, cooked of course )