Didn't Wear Earplugs — Regret It Big Time :(

Discussion in 'Support' started by geg1992, Apr 17, 2015.

1. geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure + Antibiotics
      Hi all,

I had been coping really well over the past two weeks, and I start my new job on Monday so I thought everything was getting better.

But then, yesterday I went for a meal for my leaving do. We went to a restaurant which was fairly loud. I recorded the decibel and the average decibel was about 84-85, then when people spoke it got to about 94-95. But there were also people laughing really loud on the table behind us which recorded 100 at one point.

I was too embarrassed to put in my ear plugs, but after an hour and a half I did, and everyone was making jokes about it. I instantly noticed my T was louder, and I woke up this morning hoping it would have gone back to baseline. This hasn't happened, instead I have an extremely high pitched and uncomfortable noise in my ear - it's about 16khz, compared to 12-13khz before. My ears also feel full and I can't pop them properly, they keep crackling like I had when I had a bad cold.

Really hope it goes down, just need some reassurance if possible. I feel like such an idiot. :(

Thanks for any help.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      Dude you will be ok . Just because your T gets irritated doesn't mean its going to morph into another beast. Just wear your plugs next time if it gets that loud. You will be ok . I promise.

• Like Like x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks! I'm so easily paranoid, still in the panic phase of all of this.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I know how it feels. For me the journey out of the panic phase is still active but I truly believe that after sometime your emotional system just ends up getting bored of freaking out and stops reacting so harshly.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. Johnster
      Fine

Johnster Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      Made a similar mistake. I went to a movie with my earplugs in - I seemed to be OK during the movie, but the day after, my anxiety and ringing increased.

Not doing that again . . .unless I have some of those heavy duty cups that landscaper workers use .. .

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi Johnster, has your ringing gone back to baseline now?

Going to the movies with ear plugs shouldn't cause any damage at all! Some people on here go without plugs. (I personally wouldn't.)

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      One thing that sucks is that movies have, unquestionably, gotten LOUDER over the years. It used to be, that people were expected to just shut the fuck up and watch the movie. Now they just crank the volume so you can get that ear-splitting THX at 100db.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. Johnster
      Fine

Johnster Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      Yeah, it's about the same now. Didn't realize until now how LOUD the movies are. If I watched at the same volume at home, my neighbors would be giving me dirty looks . . .

• Like Like x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah, it's a shame they're so unreasonable! But surely plugs with a movie would expose you to max of 75db so wouldn't cause harm?

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That's great to hear yours is back to normal, hopefully mine will go back down too.

What ear plugs did you use?

11. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, I do not personally believe that movies I've been to could possibly be damaging with plugs in. It is not the same as being at a rock show or something.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I may try going to one, I've been so hesitant until the last couple of weeks where I've been coping better - that was until last night.

I just feel like such a burden on my girlfriend, we used to love having date nights at the cinema!

• Hug Hug x 1
    13. Johnster
      Fine

Johnster Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      I used the orange spongy ones. There were times where it was super load, so i put my hands over my ears for extra protection . . .we were in the back row :woot:

14. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      I agree with others that you will be fine. The increase was more due to your anxiety then the actual noise level. Get some custom molded ones. They do cost $$$ but are more effective than foam and are not as noticeable.

• Like Like x 1
    15. Rhea
      Volatile

Rhea Member

Tinnitus Since:
      100db??......and the rest!!!!! My local movie theater reaches 115db in some action movies! ....It is truly ridiculous.....someone should open a nice reasonable max 85db cinema so all us T people can go :|

• Agree Agree x 2
    16. physics13
      In pain

physics13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      antibiotics
      I really regret not wearing earplugs and I practiced thousands of hours on loud church organs and pianos.
      Is there a good ear plug, hearing protection to save the rest of my ear cells? I'm just going to have to wear hearing protection for the rest of my life

17. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Musicians plugs. Custom molded to your ear are good. The have filters that attenuate the sound with a pretty 'flat' response .

18. physics13
      In pain

physics13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      antibiotics
      I'm having improvement in hearing now taking medications and vitamins that I posted on this site.
      that's really fascinating, church organs are just terrible for the ears with those mixtures, I felt I had to make this sacrifice as an act of service. I had an organ professor tell me that his colleague from Curtis went deaf from mastering both the piano and the organ but I was just a little kid and didn't know what a horror that would be

19. Karl28
      No Mood

Karl28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2001 bad since 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music via headphones
      I think to myself: look stupid or suffer And then put in the earplugs

20. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Man, some people can be horrible...I'd never tease someone using ear plugs..Sorry that it's gone up, hopefully it's only a temporary thing. To be honest, I had a bath with no ear plugs once and it freaked me out as I was scared of another ear infection, as that's how I got tinnitus. I can't explain why ears feel full, but hopefully it will subside. Keep us posted.

21. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      I've had T for 40 years. It took me about 20 years to smarten up. Sounds like you're way ahead of me.