Difficulty Concentrating

Discussion in 'Support' started by Brian32, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Brian32

Brian32 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      I was trying to study at the library a couple of days ago and it was extremely difficult to focus. The ringing was not exceptionally loud that day but it was still enough to make it very hard to concentrate on what I was doing. For those of you who have had tinnitus for a while how do you block it out so you can study? I should be at the library right now studying but my tinnitus is so loud today I can barely think.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, Brian,

I know what you mean! When mine first started, it was so bad I couldn't concentrate, or read anything. I'm an avid reader, and was really depressed over not being able to concentrate on anything for any length of time.

How do you block out the noise? Well, I think for me it was a gradual process. First, I had to get myself over the fear associated with tinnitus; just the sound of it made me anxious and upset. I didn't want to take any prescription anti-anxiety drugs, so I found some natural supplements that were calming: Magnesium, holy basil, and pharma GABA. Also, reishi mushrooms. It took some time, but gradually, I was able to calm down, and my concentration improved, too. Now, I'm back to reading books again! It's about retraining your brain to focus on something other than the tinnitus. You can train your brain gradually, by doing simple things. In my case, I started out working crossword puzzles, and reading short articles. I slowly worked up to where I'm at now.

It isn't easy or quick, but it does work. Give it your utmost patience and time, and I believe things will improve for you, too.

• Hug Hug x 2
    3. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      ok my topic :) at the moment I am studying for my final exams at university and spend every day at the library. I think for you the problem is just that you are not yet used to it... you only had it since November. Don't worry it will get better with time. For the beginning you can bring an ipod with you and listen to nature sounds or quite music. I am usually not bothered my my T anymore when I'm studying, so it gets better. also you can try to focus on background noises like the cars outside, the air condition,... that always helps me when I'm having a louder Tinnitus day.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Brian32

Brian32 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      I appreciate the tips girls. I've tried several supplements including magnesium. I'm not sure if any of them have helped. GABA is something I've considered but have not tried. Mainly because I'm not sure where to find it. Where do you get your GABA from Karen?

As far as listening to music while studying I don't know if that would work for me. The nature soundtrack is interesting though. Can you recommend a place where I could download them Seal?

I guess as a last resort I can always go sit in the library bathroom next to a running faucet. :ROFL:

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      but the idea isn't so bad after all, you can also use the sound of running water on your ipod. What I also like are fan noises. I would suggest to take your laptop with you and listen to those sounds directly via this page where you also can adjust them
      http://mynoise.net/noiseMachines.php (acutally @yonkapin showed me this page, can't thank him enough)
      or browse on youtube for the nature sounds you like and download them from there. And I guess even the itunes store has nature sounds which you could buy and download.

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
    7. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hi Brian: I have the iPhone White Noise app by TMSoft. It has dozens of different sounds -- nature, white/blue/pink/violet/brown noise, typical background noise (fans, air conditioner, train on railroad tracks). You can listen to individual sounds or even do mixes, which can be very effective. I am not a student but I am a professional writer, so must concentrate and work for long periods of time. My phone and app go with me everywhere.

Concentration is hard, especially in the beginning. But it will get better, promise.

• Like Like x 1