Difficulty Riding in Car?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Blujay, Nov 15, 2015.

tinnitus forum
    1. Blujay

Blujay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1900
      Does anyone here have difficulty riding in cars? If so, how do you handle it?

Or, did you once have difficulty, and are now OK with it? If so, how long did it take?

2. Natalie Roberts
      Depressed

Natalie Roberts Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregnancy or mild hearing loss.. Who knows.
      I have difficulty if the radio in the car is on. For some reason my ringing seems louder or reactive to certain noises ie the radio or the televison.. I ride with the radio completely off.. I've only been dealing with this for over 2 weeks so I don't have a ton of advise. I'm sorry

3. Sgguy46
      Jaded

Sgguy46 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      What kind of difficulty? Noise? Motion sickness? Inability to concentrate on driving? When my T was new and screaming i could not trust myself to drive as i was a mess. Now i have no.problems driving short distances and durations.

4. Blujay

Blujay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1900
      Does riding in a car make your T worse?

5. Sgguy46
      Jaded

Sgguy46 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      No

6. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Makes mine worse. It's the steady road noise that seems to drive my T up and react. If I go longer trips I wear ear protection.

7. noisebox
      Loved

noisebox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      West End show. Came back 2015 vitamin D overdose prescribed
      Yes I can now do short journeys with low speed, but long journeys above 30 minutes one where higher speeds are allowed then my T will crank up. The faster the speed the faster my T spins and it gets louder. The road surface makes a difference too. I also drive our petrol car now as the diesel 4x4 was too loud and tyre sound was louder too.

8. Mark Beehre
      Facebooking

Mark Beehre Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2008 // 11/2014
      Driving made my tinnitus worse. It was so bad I moved to be closer to work so that my daily drive (round trip) was 5 minutes versus an hour. Lived away from home for six/seven months occasionally traveling back home and with ear plugs.

I have now moved back home almost a month ago and I am now able to drive without tinnitus reactions. Time was what dealt with my reactive tinnitus. I am still not 100%, but I am significantly improved.

9. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      A year ago I was not playing music in the car. But then I started doing an exercise / method I learned here, now I play music in the car all the time. Sometimes it's kinda loud. I'm OK.
      I did this.. https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/back-to-silence.7172/

10. Laurie1961

Laurie1961 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown--Suspect dental work
      When my tinnitus first began, it was definitely worse in the car until I got quite far from home. Now some long trips tinnitus it gets very loud and by the time I get where I am going I have anxiety bad. Driving by certain places I hear the same predictable piercing noise. My old car (a ford) was worse in some ways-which might account for my disconnecting the radio and speakers. (which of course didn't help fyi)

11. Mike L

Mike L Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      I was the same way when I got T again.

I had to learn to not react to the noose of my truck or music.

The inside of a vehicle isn't loud enough to cause damage unless you have no frame and the exhaust is next to your head.

As far as music just keep it at a reasonable level.

The best thing to do is reintroduce these things back into your life so they don't become a worry for you and your T won't react to it anymore.

Think about it the inside of a plane is about 80-85db your car isn't anywhere near that loud.