Dirk De Ridder: Dreams Can Unlock Ways to Cure

Discussion in 'Research News' started by mick, Sep 28, 2013.

1. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      sometimes when I wake up it is really quiet ... but the moment i`m aware of the stilness suddenly i`m aware it`s not quiet at all and the bloody thing is still there ... what to do ...

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Mo_Mo

Mo_Mo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      25/11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, Started A Week After A Cold
      But doesn't everyone hear sound kind of noise in total stillness,
      I have asked couple of friends and family members to sit in a still room where it is about 18db and they all say the hear a low buzzing noise, but that they don't give it much attention

3. tomm
      Thinking

tomm Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (club drumming)
      Used to go walking in in the Peak District with my family when I was younger. Sometimes when we set out in the very early morning and got to the top of a small mountain, it used to be perfectly still. We would all sit and try and keep as quiet as possible.

I distinctly remember straining to hear and the resulting sensation of hearing absolutely nothing, not my own heartbeat, not a rustle of fabric or wind.

My own T has definitely shifted to the inside of my head since about 3 months in. I went caving a few weeks ago - my friend, the leader and I sat in a pitch black cave under 30ft of solid rock. I still 'hear' nothing from the environment (probably less than I would have when younger!), but the sensation of sound is still there, bordering on being a 'feeling' rather than noise.

Could see how if you had faint T you wouldn't even notice it if you were trying, you'd just think that was what silence sounded like.

• Like Like x 1
    4. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      There are many people without hearing lose that have T/H.
      Whats the hypothesis on that?
      Sleep is everything. A good shot of Calm Magnesium seems to help.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Dubbyaman
      Angry

Dubbyaman Member Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Excessive loud noise
      Interesting theory but what about the people that have alot of hearing loss but no t? There are even deaf people with no t.

6. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      So about tinnitus we can say: that there are people with no hearing loss with T (at least by standard audiogram standards), people with mild hearing loss and T, people with mild hearing loss and NO T, people with tons of hearing loss and T, people with tons of hearing loss and NO T, Deaf people with T, Deaf people without T and people dreaming with no T.....hmmmm, no wonder we can't cure this thing!

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    7. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      I dont get it , sleep will make it possible to cut you open and operate on you ...so.?
      Makes sense to me that you do not hear your T while asleep.

8. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      The hypothesis now is that the kind of hearing damage that triggers tinnitus is not visible on a normal audiogram. It is thought that the damage/dysfunction is in the neural connections between the cochlea and the central nervous system. Those nerve endings are thought to be much less resilient that stereocilia as well, with damage occuring below the limit of 85 db for 8 hours.

This was found recently and has been coined under the term ''hidden hearing loss''.

General reading about hidden hearing loss:

http://www.actiononhearingloss.org....st-blog/tinnitus-and-hidden-hearing-loss.aspx

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/05/140507142804.htm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...ading-probably-suffering-silent-epidemic.html

And for a more Academic reading:

http://www.jneurosci.org/content/31/38/13452.full

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    9. Hania
      Hurting

Hania Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      A cure? In your dreams! hhahhhaah see what i did there

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    10. Samir
      Obedient

Samir Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      This comes as no surprise to me. I have had episodes where I hear no tinnitus at all when I find myself in a state between sleep and consciousness. It's what you would call drowsy or "half asleep" in English. I'm not talking about simple reduction or not paying attention to it; I'm talking about total submission. But this of course does not last for long. If the duration could be extended then I would more or less be cured. I know I am not the only one to have experienced this. But how do you keep this state of mind? What's the plan?

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    11. Samir
      Obedient

Samir Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      My short episodes of tinnitus submission usually last less than about 30 seconds. To tell you the truth, it's hard to tell if it's real or of it's my mind playing tricks on me. But I have experienced it a few times by now, and I have managed to cross the line and walk deep into the conscious side more than once to know that what I have experienced is real and not a dream. Each time it felt heavenly, and I wanted to hold onto this feeling. But each time the tinnitus crept back in as I became increasingly conscious. So I say go ahead Dr. Riddler, do your magic trick and make this moment of trance and tranquility last forever! :blackalien:

12. Codaz

Codaz Member

Strange thing is that over the years I do naps and after a nap my tinnitus sometimes turns into a hiss instead of a beep. I wonder why.

13. Steven__

Steven__ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure, TMJ
      Usually when I take sleeping aid as I start to pass out my ringing is almost gone. Something I don’t usually get when I go to sleep naturally

14. Frédéric

Frédéric Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      http://www.freepatentsonline.com/10201708.html

Title:
      Method of treating a neurological disorder using network stimulation

Abstract:
      Methods are provided to treat a neurological disorder in a patient by adjusting connectivity between network nodes in a brain of patient using electrical stimulation. Connectivity between network nodes may be increased by synchronous stimulation at multiple network nodes depending upon the neurological disorder. Also, connectivity may be decreased by asynchronous or randomized stimulation at multiple network nodes depending upon the neurological disorder.

15. Ehren M
      Nerdy

Ehren M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/24/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Lately, I've noticed that in my memories, even my memory of yesterday, I cannot recall the sensation of tinnitus alongside whatever else I did that day. Similarly, I don't have a good memory of pains that I've experienced. I am actually very comforted by the fact that I don't "remember" tinnitus plaguing my lived experiences.

16. Codaz

Codaz Member

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    17. Codaz

Codaz Member

That is because our mind has a very bad history of pain. Luckily for us though. We don't remember the pain that we fell on our knee as a child.

18. Nobody19

Nobody19 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Clubbing
      Brain research is still in its infancy, but I personally believe it's the key to curing chronic tinnitus and hyperacusis.

• Agree Agree x 2