Dirk De Ridder: Dreams Can Unlock Ways to Cure

Discussion in 'Research News' started by mick, Sep 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    1. Joeseph Stope
      Innocent

Joeseph Stope Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise? infection? negative stress? other?
      Nail right on the head, Tracy. That's just the one. But as this thread is the research one, I was homing in on the theories of the causation of tinnitus. Pipeline Therapeutics, Frequency Therapeutics and Otonomy are (seemingly perhaps) going on the assumption that deafness and tinnitus are related to damaged inner hair cells, outer hair cells or damaged synapses.

And, so the assumption is extended to the idea that the loss of these and the resultant loss of stimulation in the hearing nerve causes the brain to have something akin to phantom pains just like when you lose a limb.

The great hope is that restoring the hair cells and synapses will restore hearing and remove the corresponding tinnitus.

One other theory is based on an experiment from back in the 1950s where a sample of people were put in an absolute silent room for a time interval. Nearly all of them when they got out reported having heard some sort of noise.
      So it was theorised that tinnitus may be due to some filter that got damaged which the healthy, non-tinnitus brain has to get rid of the unnecessary noise.

It's not that far removed from De Ridder's theory of dreams being connected with your tinnitus.

Well I know that this sounds mighty complicated. But I was only trying to keep it simple... :bag:

2. David S

David S Member Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      For me it is like 3 stages:

1) Not aware of tinnitus
      2) Aware of tinnitus but no negative reactions at all (could not care less)
      3) Aware of tinnitus and it creates negative emotions

When I have my tinnitus under control it's like:

-30% not aware of tinnitus
      -65% aware of tinnitus but no negative reactions at all (could not care less)
      -5% aware of tinnitus and it creates negative emotions

Now it's more like:

-5% not aware of tinnitus
      -60% aware of tinnitus but no negative reactions at all (could not care less)
      -35% aware of tinnitus and it creates negative emotions

The goal for me would be something like:

50% not aware of tinnitus
      50% aware of tinnitus but no negative reactions at all (could not care less)

SSRI helps me a lot with the emotional part.

3. David S

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Do you feel that the sound of crickets etc. in both ears are connected, synchronized?

To me it´s not. Even if they have similar pitch and rhythm, they are totally 2 different sources. Therefore I suspect the inner ear for that.

4. AfroSnowman
      Balanced

AfroSnowman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nonnatural energy source
      Pretty similar for me. The not aware of tinnitus part is just being too distracted to engage with after 2 years of constant noise, but it is still clearly there just as much as a knife in the leg would be.
      Maybe. I don’t know. I really don’t try to listen intently at my noise but listening to it now I guess it is similar cricketing/mobile noises in both ears but I think the sounds aren’t synchronized. It is hard to tell because there are so many sounds.

I know that my original damage included outer hair cells as you could see the hearing loss on the audiogram, but much of the hearing recovered so I don’t know if that means my tinnitus is due to synaptic damage or what. It does change throughout the day, typically worse as the day goes on so I don’t know if that means that neuroinflammation is part of the story.

5. IntotheBlue03

IntotheBlue03 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cervical/TBD
      Hi @David S,

Just curious but did you have any OAE testing? The tinnitus sounds you describe fit my pattern (centralized head tinnitus with high frequency (14-15 kHz) oscillating continual tinnitus) but my OAE is normal at least up to what they can test in the 8 kHz range along with all other tests I have had (Tympanometry, Acoustic Reflex, ABR, two regular audiograms showing normal & one HF Audiogram with loss at 16 kHz).

Also is your tinnitus reactive like mine?

6. David S

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      @IntotheBlue03, my OAE come back normal. My tinnitus is also very reactive even if it varies a lot over time. I believe my damage is related to outer hair cells, malfunction in the spontaneous activity or damaged nerve ends. I do not think the brain or any somatic cause is involved. It is said that the cause of tinnitus only stays cochlea based for around 6 months. I do not agree with that. It can be much longer.

Sometimes I have an intense sound followed by a few seconds of silence. I have a feeling that this is my body’s way to try to reset thing but it constantly fails. Just hoping that this will start to heal over time but for now I am not too optimistic.

I am trying to change diet and periodic fasting.

7. Brian Newman

Brian Newman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting/loud noise
      Wonder where Dr. Ridder is on his research.

• Good Question Good Question x 5
    8. star-affinity
      Wishful

star-affinity Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1993, increase in 2020, then new in 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure about the first. Too many beers? Music during sleep.
      He's dreaming about it. That's where the cure is. :)

"Is a dream a lie if it don't come true?"

Bruce Springsteen I think.

Ten years old thread makes you wander how much more time is needed.

No, but I know this is complex stuff and I think and hope Dr. Ridder is doing his best to find a cure for this insane condition.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    9. Gb3

Gb3 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
      He’s in a K-hole.

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    10. Brian Newman

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting/loud noise
      Yeah who knows. I think Thanos is making some progress? Dr. Ridder is afk. I did speak with somebody who met Dr. Ridder a few weeks ago. She said he was amazing and was testing pain receptors in her brain. She has bad noxacusis.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    11. DocTors_94
      In pain

DocTors_94 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise/ Covid? / Benzos / Ototoxicity
      I e-mailed Dr. Thanos a few days ago and he didn't specify exactly when clinical trials are going to start... He just said "soon"...

• Funny Funny x 1
    12. Brian Newman

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting/loud noise
      Hahaha the "soon" we get from everybody.

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    13. Padraigh Griffin

Padraigh Griffin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Stress
      Everyone thinks De Ridder is ‘amazing’ yet all he offers is Clonezapam and Deanxit.

Yea... amazing stuff buddy.

• Genius Genius x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    14. Brian Newman

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting/loud noise
      Lol better than most ENTs that say "ahhh sucks, live with it. Get out of my office."

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Funny Funny x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    15. Padraigh Griffin

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Stress
      Is it really?

A highly addictive benzo and a drug banned in most countries.

Disgraceful ‘doctoring’ if you ask me and if that is the best De Ridder can come up with after so much time investigating tinnitus then he is defo a ‘catch me if you can’ situation with Frank Agnables charm. It was embarrassing to see @Hazel gushing over him whilst he spouted some amount of horse manure in the Tinnitus Talk Podcast episode.

Just to add I think @Hazel and @Markku are amazing and appreciate their work but this charmer has been pulling the wool over many people’s eyes for years with his theories.

None of which are proven.

16. Hazel
      Dreaming

Hazel Director Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one-sided hearing loss (of unknown origin)
      Hi @Padraigh Griffin,

Since I was mentioned, I feel compelled to respond.

I don't have a strong opinion either way on Dirk de Ridder as a clinician. I have read some of his academic papers and found them very intriguing, but I'm not an expert on either neurology nor clinical care. My personal non-expert opinion is that benzos make sense in some extreme situations, as a temporary measure only and under close monitoring. But my opinion hardly matters here. My point is that I don't think it's fair to assume that Dirk is just offering these drugs like candy (which is what you're implying). I also wonder what you are expecting from him (or any other clinician for that matter), since the clinical options are currently still so limited? The best a clinician can do is to work with you to understand the root cause of your tinnitus and its peculiarities, which might offer some clues as to what might work for you, and to help you manage tinnitus related anxiety. I don't have enough information to know how Dirk deals with patients on a day-to-day basis and whether those patients' experiences are positive or negative, but I don't think you do either.

As for me "gushing over him" in an embarrassing manner, I do take offense to that, because I treat all our guests with equal respect and deference. We wouldn't have a podcast much longer otherwise. I understand it's my role to ask critical and well-informed questions, and this is one of the reasons we usually solicit questions from the community, as we did for this episode -- In fact, the question I asked about benzos came directly from a Tinnitus Talk member. And of course, I also do my own home work. But in the end, I am not an expert, and I never pretended to be; I'm a podcast host, and an amateur one at that, doing this in my spare time next to my day job (and along with a lot of other tinnitus projects we have going on). I don't see it as my role to 'grill' our guests; to do that, I would need much more prep time than I actually have. Instead, I aim to get as much information as I can and let the community make up its own mind. I also try to remain neutral, in the sense that I have never recommended a particular healthcare provider or treatment to anyone. The way you were speaking, it almost seemed like you were implying I was promoting Dirk commercially, which I most certainly was and am not.

Finally, we've always made it clear that other members of this community are welcome to help us prepare behind the scenes and even take my place as interviewer; while a couple of people have done this, and we are very grateful to them, it remains near impossible to get others to 'put their ass on the line' as it were. So, I will continue to do the best I can for this community, knowing that I'm not perfect, but also knowing that it's impossible anyway to please everyone.

• Like Like x 8
      • Agree Agree x 1
    17. Padraigh Griffin

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Stress
      @Hazel,

To address your first point. Yes, he is prescribing these like candy. 15 minutes into my consultation he had recommended discontinuing ALL my existing medication and going on Clonazepam and Deanxit. Let's take Clonazepam first. It is the 13th highest drug linked to triggering tinnitus according to FDA database records, and has not proven any efficacy in treating most tinnitus apart from Middle Ear Myoclonus, which is an extremely rare type of tinnitus affecting less than 1% of tinnitus sufferers. Deanxit is a hybrid anti-psychotic that has been banned for good reasons (Tardive Dyskinesia) in most countries. Do you not see from an objective point of view that this is terrible medicine. There is no evidence on the community that this combination works. I have not seen one post where it has worked for any member. He mentions committing to a lifetime of Clonazepam if necessary, whilst stating there is a cure coming. He does not have a clue in MY opinion. To recommend discontinuing all existing medication without mentioning 'tapering' is crazy. What a mad man. DYOR on this guy.

As for you taking offence, that is fair enough, but it is what I saw with my two eyes. I am not weak enough to not say it despite it being unpopular. This guy is a charmer, even I was initially taken in by his charm after watching his interviews and presentations on YouTube, etc hence why I arranged a consultation. He is held in esteem as the 'world's leading tinnitus researcher', but what the hell has he contributed? Nothing, zilch, only a bunch of theories. Many of which that have already been proven wrong. He has a brain zapping clinic in Belgium, that offers nothing of benefit to tinnitus sufferers. It states it can help depression, but I have not yet seen any solid evidence. Nothing along the likes of the Stanford Research on TMS this month, which is revolutionary.

I appreciate all your efforts, as does everyone else on here, but my messages are not designed to attack you in the slightest so no need to go on the defensive. I have 100% respect for you, but was a bit sad to see you listen to the utter nonsense this man was spouting and putting him on a bit of a pedestal. I just mean Dr. Ridder says "everyone works together and share data" and then says "should have a competition, with prize money" which is the exact opposite of collaboration. I just could not believe what I was hearing and he should have been taken to task on stuff like this, but hey no one is perfect and in 99.99% of the Tinnitus Talk Podcast interviews the content is excellent and the questions are too. My attack is on Dr. Ridder. He is a charmer, a catch me if you can (2002) film character, and we are all taken in by him. Even Debbie Featherstone who is the CBT expert for the BTA, and as hard nosed/experienced/pragmatic a lady as you will ever meet was overcome by him. "What a man Dirk De Ridder is". Yes what a man, BUT what has he done for the tinnitus community in reality. Nothing, zilch, not a sausage.

I repeat Clonazepam and Deanxit. Jesus... Take an objective look at this and say that's it? Two crappy meds combined. God help us.

Maybe I will be wrong and he will crack tinnitus, but I highly doubt it.

Finally, thank you for all the work. I mean that from the bottom of my heart. If you took offence then I apologise, but it was more directed at the snake charmer himself, than you. I was charmed by him too, as are most others.

I really think this guy is not all that but was built up to be a super tinnitus researcher in the interview. That is just my opinion. When/if he delivers I will be glad to be proved totally wrong.

In the meantime someone should stop him prescribing Deanxit and Clonazepam with such little thought. 15 minutes into a first consultation. That is crazy. I presume I am not the only one.

Thanks again. I truly mean that. I think you are amazing and appreciate your work. Dirk on the other hand needs to up his game.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    18. 2noist

2noist Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Get off your high horse, 99% of tinnitus researchers are worse than Dr. Ridder and do much less. I'm a big fan of him prescribing Clonazepam when needed, most doctors are scared of prescribing it even when a patient desperately needs it or another benzo. There are many on this community who do well on Clonazepam including @linearb.

I'm very excited about Dr. Ridder's latest trial for one:

Dirk De Ridder Explores Ketamine and HD Transcranial Infraslow Pink Noise Stimulation (HD-tIPNS)

We would be MUCH WORSE OFF without Dr. Ridder.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Useful Useful x 1
    19. Padraigh Griffin

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Stress
      How are we better off? Clonazepam? That’s it. What a contribution! Wow. No mention of Deanxit? Do your research. Clonazepam is the 13th most tinnitus inducing med! Do a bit reading about Deanxit whilst you are at it. No high horse here. Just facts.

Yes his trial. When will we hear about that. It is minuscule compared to Susan Shore’s well designed trial yet he openly questioned neuromodulation but offers nothing himself.

Nothing yet apart from Clonazepam and Deanxit. That is a fact! Nothing apart from that. Absolutely nothing.

I’m signing off from the debate. The FACT is he has produced no treatment for tinnitus and the treatment he recommends in my opinion is highly dangerous and bad medicine.

That is my opinion and I am entitled to it and I am not going to argue anymore about it. Facts speak for themselves.

20. Gb3

Gb3 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
      @Padraigh Griffin, I have taken 0.5 mg of Clonazepam for about two years at night before I go to bed. I don’t know why it has such a stigma. It helps me a lot.

• Like Like x 1
    21. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      This is not acceptable. You said you have a day job, but have you ever thought about putting a few night shifts in for the Tinnitus Talk community? Working all day is no excuse when you still have the early morning hours available to you.

Why should anyone else become involved or help out? It’s much easier to judge from the sidelines, and this kind of criticism is much more important. Haven’t you learned this already?

I’m going to watch a movie now, and by the time I’ve finished, I’m expecting you to have posted a few more blog entries or something. Don’t let us down as the fate of this cause is now resting squarely upon your shoulders.

• Funny Funny x 5
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Genius Genius x 1