DIY Low-Level Laser Therapy for Tinnitus on a Budget — LLLT Under 100,-

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by Cityjohn, May 14, 2016.

1. Ian Mac

Ian Mac Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vestibular Nueritis, loud music (dubstep)
      I hope it does work even for auditory nerve damage. I've got nerve damage T from labrythitis and hair cells damage from loud music, even with my hearing aid I can always hear my right ear, I hate not being symmetrical, it steals my attention constantly. You could say I've got double T.

2. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      Dr Wilden does not claim light will cure tinnitus - all he says is that you get improvement in hearing range ( average 20%) and improvement in hyperacusis.

It's not a tinnitus cure not sure why people still say that.

The subject should be " DIY phototherapy for regeneration & prevention of inner ear injuries" not tinnitus

Yes if you use it in the first week after acoustic trauma provided this is the only cause - you may restore your hair cells and thus avoid permanent tinnitus but not months after once it has become chronic.

3. Bobby B
      Fine

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I plan to use it on a regular basis to avoid the everyday damaging effect of noise and for future prevention of hearing loss to my already weakened inner ear so it does have tremendous value in this regard - as for repairing something that happened months or years ago you cannot expect it to do a lot of fixing . Especially if the damage is in the hair cells.

It may give you some incremental improvement in nerve damage which may translate into a slightly softer tinnitus over time but it's not going to turn it off completely.

My hearing range and H improved a lot but the T is pretty much still the same or a bit softer maybe.
      It did cure me of reactive T though - so I can pick up a phone and not have T spike from sound but baseline constant hiss is still there after 6 months of daily treatment

• Informative Informative x 1
    4. Marlino
      Cowboy

Marlino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      @Bobby B: if there was any other treatment available I would do it instead.
      Btw here in Germany healing promise is taken very serious. So Dr. Wilden is smart enough not to advertise too obviously but uses imho faked patient websites, where former sufferers report of their effective treatment with lllt and somewhere on this sites dr wildens name apears

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cityjohn
      Inspired

Cityjohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5:10 PM 03/02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Scombroid food poisoning.
      This is true, but in this case the laser with included optics was cheaper :)

The library on LT is quite extensive these days, a new paper or two comes out every day. I don't know how much you've committed to reading but the mitochondria contain redox proteins that contain http://www.jbc.org/content/238/8/2859.full.pdf

Even though the snellius equation looks a little stupid... in that Harvard paper I quoted they have hundreds of publications on LT proving its efficacy. It doesn't require laser light, that's why my head rig will have 10 LED flood lights.
      The lasers I bought to influence just the cochlea and see if I can improve my otoacoustic emission test (repair hair cells). I also don't want to manufacture a led mount with a focusing lens, and lastly I don't think I can find leds as powerful as these lasers in the same form factor.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cityjohn
      Inspired

Cityjohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      This has become more of a diy neurogenesis venture, maybe we should rename it appropiatley. The thing is, everyone still confuses LT with ear lasers..

If it works a little, it can work a lot once we understand it better. I'm trying my hand at the simplest approach to aking something work better, I'm going to use more of it :)

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cityjohn
      Inspired

Cityjohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have examined Dr. Wilden, he really believes it works and has done studies, even presenting the results at anual meetings. His results are in the order of 20% improved T, 80% improved hyperacusis.
      If Germany takes medicine seriously then why can you do all sorts of crap there like buy 3000,- red laser pointers, and do sheep placenta cell treatments... You guys have a lot of dubious private clinics :)

8. Marlino
      Cowboy

Marlino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I just meant there are restrictions for medical advertisements. Unfortunately not for scamming people.

What Wilden believes or not only he knows himself ;)

9. Marlino
      Cowboy

Marlino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I'm doing 3 days with my 10€ 100mw laser now. Every day around 40min. Last two days were extraordinarily awfull. T was loud and even I don't really believe in the effect I was scared that it might change it to the worse. Also I suspected the heat of it might harm my ear.
      Today it is better. T is at average or below again.
      Will continue and report...

• Informative Informative x 3
    10. Marlino
      Cowboy

Marlino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      V2.0:
      20160630_165415-1.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cityjohn
      Inspired

Cityjohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      This may hurt a little for everyone that spent a few hundred on a laser light therapy device but as some of you know I order my parts directly from China, and have been developing some in depth knowledge about LT and the different fields in which it is used. I've also been looking into patents and have found that Konftec and Wilden both have a patent on the things for ears specifically.
      :) Funny enough, and boy is this a good joke; LT is also being used for the nose to combat rhinitis but since nobody really seems to care about those devices they're cheaper.

http://www.banggood.com/Rhinitis-Therapeutic-Instrument-Red-Light-Treatment-Device-p-937992.html

So.. if you cut the laser head through the middle with a small saw, and stick both of them up your ears, you can go buy yourself a present with the remaining 700+ dollars.
      It's worth noting that according to some spectrographical analyses the mitochondria react to light close to 600nm, not 660, or 650. Hence 630nm would seem to be the better choice.

Important notice; I don't think anyone should buy this device though, I just wanted to illustrate how something that sounds as complex as LLLT can be reduced to two leds and a battery box with an on switch. If you really want to do it even cheaper go to you local hardware store and buy 2 leds, 2 resistors, some wire, and a battery. It will cost you 5 bucks total.

My personal DIY neurogenesis project is a little more involved than anything offered by Konftec or Wilden, this and the fact that I'm ordering surplus parts and working the problem in multiple ways are the only reasons all the parts have cost me over 100,- E.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cityjohn
      Inspired

Cityjohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      What kind of light source are you using? what are the specs?

13. Marlino
      Cowboy

Marlino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      660nm and 5w power. Use 5v power supply. Quite impressive the light density of this part. It gets as hot as hell and I can only use it pulsed like 20s on 20s off not to overheat

14. Marlino
      Cowboy

Marlino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Limiting/focussing the light to the ear works well with aluminum foil btw. But I'm thinking about seperating the led from the laser to have a circular spot of led light

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cityjohn
      Inspired

Cityjohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      LED floodlight spectrum.

I went to uni yesterday but I really should have called ahead, I ended up waiting three hours to hear that the labs are only read next week on Tuesday which is fine...

I couldn't wait though so I fashioned a spectrograph at home this morning to check the LED floodlight spectra with a third hand, a fiber optic cable from the list, and a transmission grating I had left in my astronomy toolbox. Because I don't want to do any calculating and measuring I'm simply going to compare the spectrum to the 650nm laser diode.

_MG_7731.jpg _MG_7732.jpg
      _MG_7731_overlay-s.jpg

As you can see here the 650nm laser creates a point, and even though it covers many pixels the circular shape tells us the light is just bright, not smeared out after passing through the diffraction grating. The LED on the other hand makes a nice smear.
      I'm going to eye-ball it and say it comes down from 650nm to 600nm, with a peak intensity at 625nm (all +- 5nm)

• Like Like x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cityjohn
      Inspired

Cityjohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      _MG_7739.jpg _MG_7742.jpg

These get way too hot.. I'm going to try and dissipate the heat using silicone tubing and a water cooling system.

• Like Like x 1
    17. gotyoubynuts

gotyoubynuts Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      What are those? Looks sci-fi.

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cityjohn
      Inspired

Cityjohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It's the light emitter I fashioned. Going to make a different one because this doesn't quite cut it.

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cityjohn
      Inspired

Cityjohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Oke, so I've determined the spectra of the different light sources I have at my disposal as ordered from BangGood.
      They sent me some beautiful replica seventeenth century brass light fixtures instead of some Arduino wiring yesterday... Which is fine because those are expensive.

To facilitate ear lighting I simply bought a commonly available red LED, as you would find in bicycle lighting. These will draw around 50mW, they won't get hot and can easily fit all the way inside of your ear.

_MG_7754.jpg

On to the spectra, the order is; Laser diode 662nm peak, LED 10W floodlight 635-640nm peak, IR security LED camera floodlight 840nm peak (these are very powerful, they will burn your skin at only 0.6 W), and finally the ear LED's with a peak around

_MG_7758.jpg _MG_7757.jpg _MG_7760.jpg _MG_7759.jpg

I had a really, really shabby old computer to get these spectra off of... but this was the setup, there's a spectrograph fiber optic cable in the back measuring the incoming light, the background light was subtracted obviously.

_MG_7756.jpg

As I discussed with someone and it would be a good idea to use a wide spectrum instead of lasers. The reason is pretty simple. Molecular structures have odd and widespread absorption spectra, a laser would only serve to quickly saturate one absorption line and then do nothing with the remaining energy. There's also no coherency benefit once you enter the skin layers. For this reason I'll be using LED's with very high energy rates. In total I'll probably be irradiating my head with around 50 Watts.

Now that may seem like much but to put that into perspective the sun puts down 1000W/m^2 but only about 3 W/m^2 in the right wavelengths. Out of that 3W your head will only acquire 0.003 of it if you're outside in full sunlight due to size and slopes.
      My device will hopefully reach around 10% at the skin so the difference will be a thousand fold increase. If the bio-energy deficit theories are correct this should have an observable impact in neurogenesis.

• Like Like x 5
      • Genius Genius x 1
    20. Ears Hurt

Ears Hurt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Whiplash or Buzzer (abuse from ex)
      @Cityjohn are you using a regular red LED?

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cityjohn
      Inspired

Cityjohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sorry for the delay again people, I was busy creating my LT device which was more involved that I previously thought it would be but still fun to build.

Yes those are ordinary red LED's. They go straight to the eardrum and shine straight onto the cochlea. As you can see light is emerging from my temporal bone.

In total my ear LED's cost me 20,- Euros;

Three AA batteries,
      some 28 gauge wiring,
      a battery box with an on switch,
      two red 2.2-2.4 V LED's,
      and some heat shrink tubing.

Now the question on everybody's mind would be, but are they of the same quality as the Konftec laser?
      I haven't had the opportunity to test the Konftec laser with a spectrograph but since we know what laser diodes they use from the specs I can say with certainty that my LED's would probably be better because they provide a wider light source. As I mentioned previously Wilden uses a 632nm tube laser, Hamblin has shown that 650nm does very little, never mind 662nm, and most result were gained much closer to 600nm. The problem here is that nobody has an endlessly variable light source so we have to pin down efficacy by means of spectrographic analysis of the mitochondria themselves. The elements and molecular structures in the mitochondria have a peak absorption at 600nm.
      I currently have a watercooled system that provides around 20 Watts of power before heat losses directly into my head from 600nm to 700nm with a peak around 630nm, this thing costs a little more.

22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cityjohn
      Inspired

Cityjohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I made some graphs to calculate certain things off hand;

Graph01.png Graph02.png Graph03.png Graph04.png

• Like Like x 1
    23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cityjohn
      Inspired

Cityjohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      So I've begun my treatment that I'll keep to for about three weeks and do periodic testing of my hearing. The key thing was to make sure everything can be done comfortably and powerfully. The ear laser I can literally wear anywhere all day long, the great thing about those LED's is that they fit perfectly and then the bottom edge keeps them in without blocking any sound. The full crown I can only wear for three hours around my desk.
      As part of the treatment I'm daily taking Pyrroloquinoline Quinone (PQQ) and eating a varied and rich diet including all the vitamins in surplus making sure my body has the fats and carbon chains necessary for neuro- and synaptogenesis.

I've also noticed that while I'm doing it my tinnitus goes up slightly, maybe 15% which is odd. I don't currently have an explanation for this but I think it's worthwhile to find out.

• Like Like x 4
    24. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Nice. Hope all goes well.

I doubt it would show anything, but have you done an ABR?

25. ehrfried

ehrfried Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Originally: Club (I don't have tinnitus anymore)
      Hey!
      Thank you for your regular and comprehensive reports!

I am pretty sure that it will help if you do it right. I have already been at Dr. Wilden's clinic once and it helped me a lot. Another interesting clinic by the way is the one of Mr. Robert Kroll (http://www.robert-kroll.com/).

I got mine in 2008 and I have been working on a cure since then. I would say I am 99.8% cured now.

What helped me was not only laser therapy, but:

-Silent room to sleep
      -Positive Live Situation (fucking forget stress in your live. Better get "problems" than problems!!! And "Important" and "asap" does also not matter in the end ;) )
      -Lots of nutritional supplements:

-fitline activate & restorate
      -omega3
      -b12 via injection and lozenges
      -whole vitamin b complex
      -lecithin (50-60g daily)
      -as much silence as you can get - during the day: no disco, concert, etc. during night: DEADsilence!

It took about a year to get there using what i have written above, in the same year, I was at the laser therapy.

26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cityjohn
      Inspired

Cityjohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'll do several this Tuesday, all day long.

Could you elaborate a bit on why you took those supplements?

I keep a fan on at all times, would you say complete silence helped you more than a fan would have?

27. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Several all day long? :eek: I found the clicks to be uncomfortable to say the least. I hope you don't have H too.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    28. Ian Mac

Ian Mac Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vestibular Nueritis, loud music (dubstep)
      @Cityjohn do you think a laman could repeat this based on your posts here, someone with no knowledge? I did graduate high school but dropped out of college. I know nothing of lasers it all seems futuristic.

Let us know what the ABR's show. Why do you need multiples?

29. ehrfried

ehrfried Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Originally: Club (I don't have tinnitus anymore)
      @Cityjohn : Yes, with pleasure!

One part is that imo Dr. Wildens Theories are very plausible for me:
      http://www.dasgesundeohr.de/pdf/Neuer_Text_Dr_Wilden_en.pdf

Nerves need rest to recover -> inner ear needs silence to recover.

And I can tell you from what I know already that the big improvements can only come overnight.
      however, after the first few weeks of supplements intake, i had an improvement of ~50% OVER NIGHT.
      I still remember that day.... And it was a wonderful day as all my doubts about the curability vanished, and I knew that all the bullshit artists telling that it is incurable are terribly wrong! Haha! I felt like if I was born a second time, as if I now found the exit from the hell. And this is the good think I can tell you all here. I know that it is curable! And with it the hearing loss, etc. btw! In my opinion, and this is also what Wilden says....Hearing Loss, Morus Meniere, Hyperacusis.....all those cure on your way to recovery....and the Tinnitus is the last one to vanish....(unfortunately....but at least I now know that this is correct as I posted on my own experience: I made several hearing tests and I know that my hearing is excellent (0 dB HL) again already while there is still a little little tinnitus left).

The whole Vitamin plan is:

Morning (7:00-11:00):

Vitamin C (without significant side effects)

Vitamin B-Komplex (B12, B1, B2, B3, B6, B8, B9) (energizing)

The Essential Amino Acids (e.g. „Aminos8“ available at paracelmed.com)

[Q10 (energizing)] - optional

[Alpha Lipoic Acid (anti oxidant)] -optional

L-Carnitine (energizing, very important)

Phospholipids (for the cell membranes) (energizing)

Noon (12:00-13:00):

If it is too much for you in the morning, you may postpone some things to this time slot.

However, it is important that you don't take the energy boosting things too late in the afternoon or even in the evening.

Evening(18:00-20:00):

• Magnesiumcitrate (supposedly relaxing (Source: Dr. Ferdinand Silberbauer) just try yourself when it's the best time for you to take it)

• Olive oil or linseed oil (because of the Omega 3 and Omega 6 acids, due to the unsaturated fatty acids - you buy one with a high proportion of unsaturated FS and low in saturated FAs) or better linseed (very high levels of Omega 3) or even better: special Omega 3 emulsions such as "Omega 3" of Fitline. Better be careful and take good fish oil because of the mercury that could be contained.

• Vitamin D3 (24000 IU per day)

--------------
      All the supplements are here to support the function of your mitochondria.
      the efficacy of this therapy is even stronger than the one of Dr. Wilden in my opinion, however, the laser is still a great energy for your inner ear energy supply imo.

Lecithin and Omega3, as well as Amino Acids (eat healthy food!) are important because the cell membranes of your hearing cells are built from that. That is why the body needs them to build up the hearing cells.

What you furthermore can try is that PQQ stuff. And in general, there are a lot of nutrition's that looked interesting for that case And I will also try them ;) and tell you my results!

To make your sleeping place more silent, first it is very important to live in a quiet area and have silent neighbors. I think this can be very very difficult to achieve but unfortunately there is practically no way around that if you want good improvements.

Seond, I recommend you not to use the fan at night and to close the window ( let fresh air in in the evening before you go to sleep and in the morning after you slept).

Third....improve the acoustic properties of your sleeping room: Remove any resonators like piano and that like. Put some acoustic foam on the walls to reduce the sound level even more.

Oh and one more thing: Check the status of your gut flora.... And if necessary, clean your gut! Detoxify your body (mercury in your teeth?), de-acidify your body (=eat/drink a lot of bases).

The reason why the fit line products can be more effective is that they are well absorbed from the body.
      If your gut is in a bad state it may not absorb all the supplements...or only 3%. .... and since most of us eat too much sugar, wheat and so on, the gut of most of the people is in a really really bad state....

Oh and even one more thing:

If I was you, I would protect my ears using earplugs all day long and only take them off at night to prevent infections, etc. If you take them all day long and keep your ears clean you do not have to be scared of infections as I do that already four years and I have never had any infection. This is the way my hearing improved so much by the way.

And endurance sport is a very great thing to improve your overall health, immune system and blood flow and thus also your hearing! So take the bike instead of the bus to your workplace or university :). It changes your live :).

Oh and take a look at your blood if you have any infections like Lyme Borrelliose or Epstein Barr Virus. Those can have negative impact on your overall energy level and can even damaged the nerves. I for myself can tell you that I had the former....got rid of it in 1,5 years using homeopathic stuff and I had the latter.....I took MMS against it..... I did not take my blood until now but I already feel if it was gone..... Even though doctors say it is chronic and can never disappear....... but doctors are also only human beings and I think most of us already know more regarding the ear as they had it in maybe one course at University and we were researching for several years already :). And books are never as up-to-date as the Internet is!

And I have to tell you it is a pity that Wilden does not admit that a combination of laser and supplements is a lot more effective than the laser alone as there are people with deficiencies of so many vitamins and minerals that the laser has practically no effect on them and his success rate would increase dramatically if he took this aspect into account in my opinion.

:)

• Informative Informative x 3
      • Useful Useful x 1
    30. Bobby B
      Fine

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @ehrfried
      How did you get T ? Do you have any hearing loss and how much (db@khz)