Do Computers Make Tinnitus Worse?

Discussion in 'Support' started by MarmiteKFC, Aug 1, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. MarmiteKFC
      Amused

MarmiteKFC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      ????
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unkown
      I am just wondering if computer makes tinnitus worse. Because I see people saying that Tinnitus makes it worse? Is it true or does it happen to some people Because I game on my computer a lot and I am just worried. My PC is almost silent, my fan cause some noise but thats it. Also, if I focus or test my T does it make it worse?

2. Hopeful1
      Depressed

Hopeful1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Only if PC fans make noise I guess

3. Owen
      Disappointed

Owen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unclear. Inflammatory allergic reaction/AIED
      A PC would have to be extremely loud to make tinnitus permanently worse, but fan noise could irritate it - it irritates mine a little. Oddly though, computer games are very good for my tinnitus. Because I am so focussed on the task, I totally forget about it when playing.

4. walkthroughwalls

walkthroughwalls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possibly noise
      No, unless the fan's ridiculously loud or possibly when your posture is bad. I have to watch out for the latter myself.

If you focus, on the game you're playing I suppose, you will most likely forget about your tinnitus, which is a good thing :) Stress can make the tinnitus spike or appear louder.

5. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      I find that anything which is exposing me to a lot of practically inaudible high frequency noise can cause a significant spike; this is stuff like flat-screen TVs, laptops (especially HDD spin and fans), some wifi routers, etc. My living room has all of these devices, and generally if I watch TV for a few hours, the high frequency tinnitus stuff will really be going bonkers as soon as I think to look for it.

6. quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accustic tramma due being too close to a fire craker when I was a kid
      I have the same problem when I watch TV on my big Flat screen, any high pitched sounds like sirens, or that beep beep sound when people are in a hospital bed with the heart monitor, and worse if they die and the beep on the machine turns into a Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep, If I don't catch it right away and mute my TV it past that part, it really spikes my tinnitus for days. So I watch most new moves with CC on and no sound. The movies that I watch over and over don't worry too much because I know where the loud high pitch parts are at and I'm ready to mute. It really takes the joy out of watching TV these days. Even though My TV has smart sound on it, ( that keeps the sound at one level ) and does not increase even during the commercials. Any High pitched sound at even very low volume will effect my hearing, I really have to be careful and I am.

Louie

Quieatnight

7. Sebastians

Sebastians Member

Tinnitus Since:
      13/10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Guitars, loud girls and guns
      In the beginning 6 months a lot of hi-freq appliances would somehow irritate my T, i would also pick up frequencies from lamps and electronics.. Most of that went away fortunately. I did visit a museum with modern art a few weeks ago where there was this installation around an old crt tv, had to leave that room rather quickly..
      Guess it's some form of H or sensitivity.

8. Elgringo32
      Depressed

Elgringo32 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic traumatism
      Yes for me this sensitivity is linked to the shit side effects of AM101. Computers , fans, electronic devices increases the level of my T instantly.
      When you work in an office with a lot of computers it is a nightmare.