Do Computers Make Tinnitus Worse?

Discussion in 'Support' started by MarmiteKFC, Aug 1, 2016.

1. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      I haven't had to reach for the benzo bottle in months either Michael. Been gutting out any moderate levels of tinnitus. A pretty low day today. Yipeee!! Tomorrow? I would bet nothing on what it will be....more mercurial than a change in weather. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    2. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      I mean no ill toward the poster in question. I find humor in his posts honestly. I mean it gives trolling even a bad rap. ;)
      He actually made some absurd allegations about tinnitus in terms of blood sugar, diet and other things which have no foundation. But generally he trolls away and is disarmingly hapless in his approach. How's that? :arghh:

• Funny Funny x 1
    3. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      When the person in question breezed in here the other day and started shouting from the hilltops, that he devised a treatment that was going to help people with their tinnitus, and that he was going to be submitting an article. I thought, WoW. Little did I know it was just hot air..lol Guess it's true what they say Stophiss: empty cans make the most noise... :LOL:

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Samir
      Obedient

Samir Manager Staff Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      I'm not sure if I should cry or laugh...

A computer is the very cause of my tinnitus! :popcorndrink:

Does using a computer make my tinnitus worse? I think it may have a negative effect on my tinnitus. It's a psychological thing! It's like sitting at the same table and eating lunch with the guy that tried to kill you one year earlier.

Do I think computers can cause tinnitus? Definitely! I'm like a living proof of that. Using a computer can cause you harm in more than one way.

Do I think computers can have negative effect on tinnitus? Yes, in more than one way. If your tinnitus is caused by a computer you will have a psychological attachment to it. You can't run away from that. You will need some kind of psychotherapy to get over that.

What about physically? Yes, even if you got tinnitus in other ways than by using a computer, if you use a computer it may cause your tinnitus worse. Computers emit all kinds of sounds. It's not just the spinning fans. You also have spinning disks, coil whine, etc. Every electronic circuit naturally emits some kind of noise. It may not always be audible, which is desired and sought after when designing the electronic device. But they all have it, more or less. If these noises match your tinnitus frequency and character I think they can trigger your tinnitus and make it worse.

5. Samir
      Obedient

Samir Manager Staff Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      It doesn't have to, but it can. See my previous post.

Tinnitus makes what worse?... computers? I don't think computers can have tinnitus! :D

My tinnitus is caused by a computer. I'm not really afraid of computers since the incident, but I am cautious about playing sounds on computers.

Also, the sound card or a spinning hard drive, or some other component in one of my computers may be emitting this high pitch sound that seems to match with my tinnitus. This seems to make my tinnitus more pronounced. I have checked for this sound and I am confident now that the sound I hear is not my own tinnitus sound in my head. It's an external sound coming from the computer. It's barely audible. I had to put my good ear against the computer to hear it. This sound makes my tinnitus worse and it make me feel worse.

I don't always notice this sound. But I'm pretty sure now that it's not in my head. It's coming from the computer for sure. It doesn't mean I don't have tinnitus. I still have tinnitus. It's just that they are both of same frequency so it's confusing my brain.

Stop worrying, and for your own well being try to find a new interest. Preferably one that doesn't involve computers and electronics. Try to cut down on gaming.

You can fanless computer. But that doesn't mean it won't make other kinds of noise. See my previous post. Try to cut down on the number of hours you spend at the computer.

Yes, thinking about tinnitus does make it worse. The mind is a weird thing...

6. VRZ78

VRZ78 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral Infection
      @Michael Leigh Maybe try to use your laptop with earmuffs of foam earplugs: if your T still increases it means that you have EMF but if it doesn't it means that's the very high frequencies emitted by the computer electronics that make your T louder.

Your Samsung tablet, although it emits way less EMF than your laptop, doesn't make any very high pitch noise either.

7. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Thanks for your suggestion @VRZ78 Tried using foam earplugs years ago made no difference. Tinnitus increased to very high levels after 2008 when it got worse due to noise exposure.
      Thanks again
      Michael

8. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      @Samir

I game alot and it doesn't affect my t , its a very good distraction!

9. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      I personally do not believe computers cause tinnitus. I have been around computers for all my life, my entire career and I have T. My brothers have also been around them almost as long for their careers. They do not have T. My dad can barely use a computer and has severe T as I do.

Computers are low level non-ionizing and put out extremely low amounts of radiation unless you are still using a CRT monitor. If we are measuring radiation EMFs, then the ultraviolet light from the sun is exponentially more damaging than any computer. X-rays are also in the ionizing (bad) category and put out far far more radiation then a computer ever could.

I am not saying that it is not possible that computers and EMF's cause T but "credible" evidence is lacking at least with the use of small electronic devices. Most of the EMF studies are from the 90's on power stations and microwaves and outdated.

I would say not to live your life in fear of these types of things (woulda, shoulda, coulda, instead to just live your life.

10. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      if you're suffering from energy disregulation, I've got some reiki crystals I can sell you for $3000.

11. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      that said, I'd be lying if I didn't admit that getting away from EMFs is one of the many reasons I moved out of the city. It's a pretty small one, but it's there...

12. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      I was wondering after reading through this topic if those who grew up without computers verses those who have always had computers have any difference regarding tinnitus and tinnitus severity.

I have severe intrusive tinnitus. Sometimes at night it can knock me out of bed. After so many years though I have learned to deal with this.

The only concern for me is turning off all devices by 8 pm to sort of calm my mind. No I Phone. No computer. We will watch television and I should mention we had to disconnect our surround sound (drove my tinnitus nuts).

13. Mike TerMaaten

Mike TerMaaten Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 20, 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2013 GMC Sierra pickup truck

That's exactly what my tinnitus sounded like also. I still have it just a little bit.

14. Mike TerMaaten

Mike TerMaaten Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 20, 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2013 GMC Sierra pickup truck
      I got mine from the modern electric fans ( completely new technology ) in the Delphi satellite radio in my 2013 GMC Sierra truck.

GM Bulletin #PIT5166C High Pitch sound from Dash

I suspect 1,000s and 1,000s of people got their Tinnitus from that.

It was in several 2012 and 2013 GM vehicles. Including their half ton truck ! ( Silverado and Sierra best selling truck only next to the Ford F-150

15. Shiwa

Shiwa Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Artificial sub-infrared light
      All electrical devices and electric wiring generates sub-infrared light, this is what affects one not necessarily the electromagnetic field. This light is measurable, and the effects of it on life are measurable.

Also, infrasound is generated—one needs special equipment to measure it.

16. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      iMacs don’t put out much noise, at least in the audible frequencies. EMF emissions I am not sure about, but you could look these on the internet I’m sure. PCs with the old 1990s style tower combo seem to put out a lot more noise due to their fans. I’ve never had any issues and I also am on a Mac all day. But sedentary sitting hour after hour and poor posture seem to be more likely culprits to me. Also staring at a bright screen containing a lot of blue light is going to have effects too, at least on quality of sleep.

17. Kelvin

Kelvin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Work
      I think you are spot on. For me it has to be neck / jaw neck related. A lifetime of neck problems ( drafting as an Architect ) resulted in T and H after a dental visit. I hate them both
      and nothing helps - which is frustrating

• Agree Agree x 1