Do Earplugs Work When Chewing?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Elfin, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Elfin
      Wishful

Elfin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Hear me out...

I have my brother's 30th coming up which is looking like a meal out at a restaurant in London. Obviously, I would like to go, but not at the expense of worsening tinnitus.

I have a set of ER earplugs which I intend to wear - my question is though, do these work when chewing? The reason I ask is that having tried them in and around the house, when eating the jaw moves and I seem to get this popping sound in the ear, as though the seal is breaking as I move my jaw. It sounds like when you put a finger in your ear when there is water there, that momentary pop sound.

I try and push the plug further into my ear, but on chewing again the same thing happens. The plug doesn't come out, just appears to be moving within the ear as my jaw moves to eat. I also get this when I have worn the plugs for some time.

Does anyone have a similar experience? Are the plugs still working in this case?

Are there any that are better suited and do not behave this way?

To clarify: I am concerned about external noise and the plug not working as I chew, not the popping sound it makes in my ear.

Cheers guys!

2. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      If noises are below 80 dB I don't think your tinnitus or hearing will worsen permanently unless you have noise induced pain.

I'm not a fan of being paranoid to leave the house when one has tinnitus, one kind of hyperacusis may be a sign that the inner ear is damaged like an open wound and needs to heal. (yet I can't prove my hypothesis)

You can just put the ear plugs back in manually few times if you must wear them.

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Elfin
      Wishful

Elfin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      I can't control the environment though regarding noise level at somewhere public like a restaurant. There is no way of knowing how loud it will be until I'm already there. I could go beforehand, but then there are uncontrollable variables on the night - how many people are in the restaurant, the behaviour of the other diners (what if it's someone's birthday and a table erupts in song/lets off party poppers).

I'd like to wear the plugs the entire evening. I am overly paranoid around sounds at the moment, which is having a limiting effect on my life, undeniably, but the prospect of worsening tinnitus fills me with a sickening dread. I'd like not to end up there for fear of having to kill myself.

Any idea as to the efficacy of earplugs when the jaw moves to eat?

4. Holly1987

Holly1987 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hey @Elfin

I have worn earplugs many times when eating out and have never had a spike. I know what you mean about the popping noise, I used to find it a bit unnerving.

I think it will be ok especially because you won't be chewing the whole time you are there.