Do I Have Hyperacusis? Periodic Constant Earache

Discussion in 'Support' started by Aching Ears, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Aching Ears

Aching Ears Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphones
      Hi,

I'm not sure if this is hyperacusis, but this is how it started. Years ago stupid me did a frequency test with my headphones. Afterwards, I felt a constant 24/7 ache in my ears.

I found that I couldn't have headphones on for too long without ear pain. Speakers were fine as long it was not too loud. This went on for 3 years. I got accustomed to it. I could still hear very well but any loud screaming or any high pitch sound made it worse for a week or two, then back to "normal" .

Now this month I went to a funeral. Pastor's mic was really loud. I tried to endure it but couldn't, 2 days later my tinnitus is a little louder and ear pain a couple notches worse.

I'm trying to deal with but am I doomed for life? Never knew what hyperacusis was till I looked it up after all this time. Is this it?

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. arctic loon
      Dreaming

arctic loon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music
      That sounds like hyperacusis. I'm sure if you protect your ears and give them quiet rest, your pain will lessen. Just be more careful in the future. You definitely aren't doomed! Start using hearing protection, avoid headphones and loud places and you'll be fine.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Labyrinthine
      Moonlighting

Labyrinthine Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      It does sound like relatively mild (pain) hyperacusis to me. Have you ever visited an ENT or an audiologist? An ENT can rule out any underlying pathology that might be causing your symptoms.

I genuinely understand your concern, though I don't think you're doomed for life. I'd strongly advise you to avoid loud environments for a while and give your ears time to recover. The key to progress is to minimize the amount of setbacks (avoiding loud mics being a good example). If you unexpectedly find yourself in a loud situation, you can use earplugs or earmuffs to protect your ears.

• Like Like x 2
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Aching Ears

Aching Ears Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphones
      Thanks for the replies. Where I ilve, there are like 4 good ENTs. And they are all expensive. I'll try to be more careful.

• Like Like x 2
    5. arctic loon
      Dreaming

arctic loon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music
      Not to scare you, but it's very important to be careful with noise when you have hyperacusis. Ears can usually bounce back from setbacks if they get time and quiet to heal, but sometimes noise exposure can lead to a permanent setback. For example, I had mild hyperacusis for 4 years but couple traumas made my sound tolerance decrease a lot.

Don't be ashamed of having tinnitus and hyperacusis. Tell your family and friends about it, so they know not to be loud around you. You have a disability and making adjustments is crucial in managing it.

Having hyperacusis is very hard, because managing it in a socially acceptable way can be difficult. Don't try to bare loud situations just for the sake of others, when your health is at stake. Earplugs are tour best friend :D but they aren't always enough, so sometimes it's just best to leave if a place is too noisy.

If you go to an ENT, be sure to research the test they would do beforehand. For example tympanometry and acoustic reflex test are way too loud for someone with hyperacusis! If any of the tests feel uncomfortable, stop immediately. In my opinion ENT visit isn't obligatory, since they can't usually do anything to help you.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Aching Ears

Aching Ears Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphones
      I get you, that's why I'm afraid to go to one. I don't want to make it worse. I think maybe the best thing to do is just try to be extra extra careful.

I really miss listening to music. Is it ok but with low volume?

7. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I get ear pain frequency but I don't know if it's hyperacusis, nerve pain or some other TMJ/jaw/dental problem or a combination of all three. I also don't know if it is possible one ear suffers from one, two or all of those and my other ear is suffering from some different combination.

My left ear is more frequently in pain than the right. My tinnitus is extremely loud and intrusive and the ear pain makes everything worse.

I would recommend to you not to use headphones and use speakers instead but always at low volume and be careful: have a way to mute or turn off the sound within a split second. Whatever method you choose, keep the volume down.

8. arctic loon
      Dreaming

arctic loon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music
      This is something you have to figure out yourself. When I first got tinnitus & hyperacusis I found I couldn't listen to "loud" music like rock anymore. I got more into acoustic and gentle music and listened on low volume through speakers.

If I could choose again, I would've completely dropped all music after developing these ear issues back in 2015. At least for me electrical frequencies are very bad for my ears. I really don't know why, but low quality speakers etc I can't tolerate at all.

If you do continue listening music, don't do it through headphones/ear buds. Be sure to keep the volume low and not listen too long. If you feel discomfort, stop listening altogether. It sucks leaving music behind if it hurts you, but trust me, it hurts a lot more to have bad hyperacusis. There are still many good things in life that you can enjoy, apart from music :)

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Aching Ears

Aching Ears Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphones
      Thanks a million for your reply and tips articloon. It's going to be tough but I won't give up.

• Like Like x 1
    10. arctic loon
      Dreaming

arctic loon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music
      No probs! If you need any more advice let me know if I can help :) You can do this!

• Like Like x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Aching Ears

Aching Ears Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphones
      Hope I'm not bothering you but I fudged it yesterday. Forgot my earplugs. Got on public bus which was louder than expected, now my left ear feels a little full. And when I talk for a while it seems to be affecting one or sometimes both of my ears.

I feel stupid because all of my talk of being careful fell through, I should have never left the house.

• Hug Hug x 2
    12. Labyrinthine
      Moonlighting

Labyrinthine Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      Don't feel stupid, we all make mistakes! Whenever you leave home, make sure that you have your earplugs with you (treat it as if it were your keys or pin card, something you never leave your home without). Setbacks will inevitably happen, even at home you can accidentally drop something on the floor that would make a lot of noise but like I said in my previous post it's about minimizing the amount of setbacks that will eventually lead to progress.

• Like Like x 1
    13. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I want to commit suicide. I want this ear pain to end.

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Aching Ears

Aching Ears Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphones
      Don't even think about it. I used to have to have those thoughts, it's not worth it. Do you have family that understands your situation? That's how I'm getting through.

15. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      No. No one understands.

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Aching Ears

Aching Ears Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphones
      How long has this been going on for you?

17. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Constant ear ache? Since I got tinnitus. Around mid February but severity usually varies and my left ear would be in greater pain than the right and for longer stretches too.

Lately, my left ear has been in severe pain with only brief periods of it subsiding but not going away fully. The severe pain would return too. It's bad right now.

18. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      My pain lessened today. Then, suddenly, with no apparent cause, my left ear suddenly has fullness and increased pain.

Does this sound similar to anybody?!?

I can't recall reading something similar here.

Usually, there was an obvious noise exposure for people or?

This sort of thing is always happening! :(

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Aching Ears

Aching Ears Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphones
      Yea it happens, sometimes you try too be very very carefull but it happens. Eventually it may go back it happens too me often.

20. Oabmarcus

Oabmarcus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/30/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress and years of using earbuds/headphones
      I find that a warm press and/or infra-red light that warms the ear helps me to soothe the pain.