Do I Have Hyperacusis?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Apocalypse77, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Apocalypse77
      Loved

Apocalypse77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/8/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (go-kart racing)
      Seagulls (mew seagulls) on this summer sound so unutterably loud. Everytime one of these things fly iver me I plug my ears.

Seagulls can not be that loud to cause damage, right?

Today a thunder strom went past us. It was porobably 1km away. (I didn't see any lighting strikes.) The rumbling sound that thunder storm make (it sounds like big metal plate/disk/panel being shaked) sounded so loud but I had to help my mother so I could not plug my ears. When I went inside i noticed a small spike on my T. Can a storm cause damage to my hearing or what is wrong with me?

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Your hearing is not being affected. However, if I were you, I would listen to my body and wear earplugs or Peltor muffs during thunderstorms, etc. You are suffering from H. In a couple of months it will most likely get better.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Mike TerMaaten

Mike TerMaaten Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 20, 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2013 GMC Sierra pickup truck
      regardings seagulls ..they are part of the natural world. The human ear can tolerate the sounds of birds.

What the Human Ear apparently seems to have No Tolerance for is ..the horrible invention called Electricity ..and then also folowed by an even more hideious Invention called the SPEAKER. ( head phones movie theaters concerts cell phones car Audio ..or just the tiny little scream noise that Most Network appliances make - try being in an enclosed space with some nasty electronics or network equipment and that could damage your hearing ..your Ears ..for Life

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. mattryp
      Alienated

mattryp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Trauma ~ Wedding Reception
      @Mike TerMaaten I was thinking about this recently while watching Game of Thrones. Sure, they had to deal with the harsh sounds of warfare / swords clanging, but at least there weren't any guns / speakers / harsh frequencies saturating the atmosphere. They were harsh times, but in another respect, they were also purer times. 5G scares the shit outta me. Those ultra-high microwave frequencies just may be the end of us. We're already having enough physical manifestations from the frequency soup we currently live in, so here's an idea... let's add more powerful bands! The ingenuity of 'modern' society. I have an IT background, but crave for simpler purer times.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      I have had similar thoughts reading Little House on the Prairie books to my kids. If you're not familiar with the books, they're about growing up in the Midwest in the 1800s.

To add to that, thunder can be incredibly loud.

• Like Like x 2
    6. Mike TerMaaten

Mike TerMaaten Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 20, 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2013 GMC Sierra pickup truck
    7. victoria9273
      Amused

victoria9273 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hyperacusis since 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Use of earbuds
      I don't know about the sounds seagulls make but I definitely know cicada's horrible sound at summertimes. It was definitely loud(85 decibels maybe, but in an open space it could be reduced), the flock of them, but strangely I thought the sound doesn't affect me much. Everyone tolerate them and I had my measure of blocking my ears. Everything that can be done was done for me, I think.....