Do I Have to Wear Earplugs When I Go Out Now? How Do I Know Where to Wear Earplugs?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jason37, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Jason37

Jason37 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot
      Do I have to wear earplugs when I go out now?

My kids scream in my house all the time and it doesn't affect my tinnitus at all....I mean how do I know when to wear them. At the store, in the car... I mean everywhere has noise.

I don't go to any places that are loud at all. I even skip worship part at church service. This really sucks but now I see people here say to wear the everywhere for the rest of my life.

In 7 months no noises have triggered it any worse. Only my fear and anxiety do. Jesus help me!

2. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I've had severe tinnitus for 7 years and I only wear earplugs when I'm in particularly loud places such as a movie theater or concert venue. I'm not a believer in wearing earplugs everywhere I go and I'm not going to stop doing the things I enjoy for the sake of tinnitus. I suggest that if you miss church service you should return.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I have been wearing earplugs whenever I am outside of my home. This policy had protected me against many spikes. I believe it had promoted my healing.
      If you get T spikes or a full ear sensation following being exposed to noises like that of a slamming door, an ambulance driving by, etc, then that is your body's way of telling you that you need to protect yourself. If you are not getting any spikes, then perhaps you are not as sensitive as many of us here. If I were you, I would still stay away from power tools, vacuum cleaner, blender, hair dryer, etc. I would also avoid any places with live/loud music.

4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Try only use hearing protection around extra loud noise or if have to shout to be heard.
      Love glynis

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. joester

joester Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 1978
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Really big explosion.
      I have to agree with Glynis. I carry the cheap disposable foam plugs for high volume situations and always use hard shell protectors for lawn work or anywhere I expect excessive noise.
      You can download an app on your phone to provide you with a decible reading. Around 85 and above, you'll see foam plugs in my ears.

• Informative Informative x 1