Do You Consider Your Tinnitus a Disability?

Discussion in 'Support' started by martin12, Apr 12, 2015.

?

Do you consider your tinnitus a disability?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Bambi

Bambi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown

OK, I checked ibuprophen, and they only listed "hearing problems". Lorazepam listed hyperacusis.

But I do know I´ve seen it on other medications.

2. robinbird
      Fine

robinbird Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      high pitch hearing loss, both ears, right is worse
      Ok. Thanks. Next time I will make sure of side effects. Thanks for the heads up. I think my T may be due to eustacian tube. Not sure. Getting a CAT scan.

3. RoadToSilence
      Busy

RoadToSilence Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Completely agree. Seriously, would it be possible to set up a research fund for potassium modulators at T.T? Is this something that a large number of us would be willing to support?

Just brainstorming here, but could we create a fundraising campaign (for example with GoFundMe: http://www.gofundme.com/tour/) not just for TT members, but for us to share with others (family, friends, etc.) as well?

$60,000 sounds great, $100,000 even better. I really think this worth trying. Thoughts everyone?

Mods: Feel free to move this to a separate thread if it is too far off topic.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Thank you for your interesting opinion. I appreciate it.

5. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      If you cut down on the number of messages you post and actually read the ones that were alerted to you, you will notice that your questions have been answered already:

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    6. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      See bottom of this post that was alerted to you just a while ago:

www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/team-trobalt-update-%E2%80%94-april-9-2015.9064/

I should also remind the tinnitus community that there is no shortage of "good ideas" from members as to why don't you do this and that. But when push comes to shove, no one is there to carry the burden.

Except Team Trobalt.

• Funny Funny x 1
    7. NiNyu

NiNyu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma? stress?
      Let's do it! And invest in a clinical trial with HIFU on T.

8. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Sorry, what I meant is these drugs need to be on the market, trobalt isn't precise.. The main target is KV3.1.

9. Bambi

Bambi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown

Can I ask how you yourself feel about this?

10. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Sure.

I cannot speak for anybody else - only for myself. I was totally disabled by tinnitus that was absolutely SCREAMING in my ears 24/7. The sound was like a cross between a teakettle and a roaring jet turbine. On a loudness match it was louder than the tinnitus of 90% of individuals with tinnitus that is so severe that it led them to seek evaluation at a university tinnitus. And NOTHING could mask it. I spent most of my time in bed rolling from side to side holding my ears. On a very good day I might be able to accompany my wife on a very short trip to the grocery store - or drive my children to school. Not only did I contemplate suicide, I had even researched method. I was on enough drugs to put a small elephant to sleep.

Today I am well. I participate in all that life has to offer. Moreover, I do it with great joy and with great enthusiasm. But my tinnitus? My tinnitus has not changed at all. It is still absolutely SCREAMING in my ears 24/7. The sound is still like a cross between a teakettle and a roaring jet turbine. On a loudness match it is still louder than the tinnitus of 90% of individuals with tinnitus that is so severe that it led them to seek evaluation at a university tinnitus. And NOTHING can mask it. So my tinnitus has not changed at all. What has changed is ME! And while my tinnitus can still distract me - totally unpredictably - it causes me little, if any, distress.

So, Bambi, when you post: "I think it is the person affected with tinnitus ways/possibility of coping with it that determines whether it's a disability or not," strictly from my personal experience, I would have to agree with you.

11. Bambi

Bambi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown

Thank you for your answer, Dr. Nagler :)

I´m sorry to hear your tinnitus is so bad, but I think it´s really good to hear that you´ve found ways to live with it :)

12. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      But my tinnitus isn't bad! It's very very loud - but it isn't bad. It used to be incredibly bad, but it's not bad any more. And the reason it's not bad anymore has nothing to do with my tinnitus, which hasn't changed at all. It has to do with ME.

That's the point I was trying to make.

It's not a very popular point to make on a board such as this one, which is why I was speaking from my own experience only.

13. Bambi

Bambi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown

I see I chose a bad word. I totally agree with you. The correct word is "loud", not "bad". The connotation of words sometimes stick in a bad way. Though me myself also think of my tinnitus as loud, I often find myself thinking the word "bad", though what I actually mean is "loud" *phew* :)

To sum up; I totally agree.

14. Champ
      Woot

Champ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma from headphones
      As bad as it sounds, I am trying to not broadcast my struggles with tinnitus to everyone I know. It's hard enough to have it, and it has a big impact on my life, but I don't like pushing that negative energy onto others.

I have donated and will continue to donate money to these causes along with helping work behind the scenes, but not everyone is comfortable with broadcasting awareness of this conditions :(.

• Like Like x 2
    15. Brianna
      No Mood

Brianna Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No clue - too many causes.
      I answered your poll with a Yes because you didn't have an option that says, "Depends." (Not the adult diapers...)

I'm not functional enough to ride my motorcycle today due to lack of sleep. If I am okay when I wake up, it's typically a reasonable start for the day. I know if I have house work to do, I get it done sooner rather than later because I may not be okay later. I have to push through fogged thinking - not something one can afford to be working in info tech in the north.

T impedes what I used to be able to do. My spreadsheet with my tax info is a great determiner that shows how effected from T and the cochlear implant I am. I didn't miss a lot but compared to prior years, it was sloppy. Lessons learned and it won't happen next year. My work in info tech would have gotten me fired had I worked with part of a brain. In that sense, it's a disability.

16. Brianna
      No Mood

Brianna Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No clue - too many causes.
      I'm past the implant stuff and now just wear it on any shirt I have rather than hiding it. I only make my T known to people who see me more frequently. So, it's less than a handful of people in my life. My neighbors know about the implant, they don't know about T.

17. robinbird
      Fine

robinbird Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      high pitch hearing loss, both ears, right is worse
      I just gave a donation to eye floaters this way. I would give a donation and more than $10!

18. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      Dr. Nagler, I was habituating doing well then the T/H went up a notch. Im really having a difficult time dealing with the new levels. I dont know, have people who have had chronic T and Insomnia gotten better? I think part of my problem are the ototoxic meds Im taking Venlafaxine for depression and Trazadon for sleep. My huge problem was I was unable to sleep on my own for two months. I couldnt no longer deal and I got meds. I really with a having a hard time with 5-6 pm spike. I dont know if its the Venlafaine as thats what time I take it. I would hope theres a chance for me to get better. Im fighter but the new levels are taking there toll. Thank you.

19. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      I do not view habituation as "dealing with" anything. But regardless of how you define it - you did it once, so you can do it again.

Yes.

Sounds to me like you are trying to be the captain, the first mate, and the entire crew of your own ship. Sometimes it helps to have professional guidance as you try to sail through particularly muddy waters. You live in Tucson. Why don't you make an appointment with Dr. Alan Rohe in Tempe. He teaches the tinnitus course in the Doctor of Audiology program at AT Still University in Mesa. I know him well and feel very comfortable recommending him.

stephen nagler

20. marqualler
      Nerdy

marqualler Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection / Mild Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      As far as BTA funding potassium modulator research, here's a study they funded in that exact role:

http://www.tinnitus.org.uk/role-of-the-5-ht-system-in-tinnitus

I think that is a perfectly valid perspective. I probably got overzealous talking about fundraising for research given the realities of many people's individual wishes. But I think the point I was trying to make is we are uniquely situated as a large online community to make a big difference for ourselves and the millions around the world with the same condition. The good folks at BTA and ATA want the same thing, too.

21. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      I may be totally out of touch in the above regard, but I was unaware that the 5-HT system had anything to do with potassium modulator research.

22. stelar

stelar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1985
      If you were able to habituate to your tinnitus then it was not catastrophic tinnitus.
      Again, people like you trivialize this condition at its most severe levels.

23. Stink

Stink Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2000
      if you was in charge of tinnitus research and awareness we would be doomed.........
      you have mild tinnitus clearly

24. stelar

stelar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1985
      Really? What about your "spike" that put you in a tailspin after 20 years of your unchanged tinnitus?
      I guess it has gone down back to baseline then after using TRT maskers.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    25. marqualler
      Nerdy

marqualler Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection / Mild Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      Whoops--my mistake. As I understand now, the study relates to serotonin--not potassium modulators. Although I have learned a lot more about tinnitus research in the last six months than I ever thought I would in my lifetime, I have yet to earn a Ph.D. in neuroscience. :)

That said, the point I was trying to make is that a) the BTA, as it stands, does have an interest in research pointed toward curative drugs, and b) we as a community (both within Tinnitus Talk and in partnership with other interested parties) have a great opportunity to make a difference in making that happen.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    26. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      I see people with catastrophic tinnitus all the time. And most of them habituate very nicely. Some don't; that is true. But the vast majority do very well indeed. As I have written on a number of occasions: What it takes is Strategy, Determination, Flexibility, and Insight.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, stelar, but in this case the reality argues strongly against that opinion.

27. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      I habituated to my new level of tinnitus fairly quickly thanks to the devices. My tinnitus has not in any way returned to baseline. I have, but not my tinnitus.

28. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:

And what would you say to someone like me, for whom my personal "baseline" was to be completely riddled with anxiety to the point of being borderline non-functional for years prior to acquiring worsened T? My own assumption has been that I either find a different/new way of dealing with that stuff, or accept that my life is terrible. The former continues to elude me, but surrendering to the latter seems horrid.

29. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      No, I stopped a few days ago.

Well, it depends on the degree to which your tinnitus itself affects your life. If your tinnitus does not affect your life in any significant way, I would not do a thing regardless of how loud your tinnitus might be. On the other hand, if your tinnitus affects your life significantly, then if I were you I would do exactly what I tell every other individual with severe intrusive tinnitus to do - anxiety or no anxiety. And that would be to seek out the advice of a truly knowledgeable and experienced tinnitus clinician who can personally evaluate you and figure out what treatment program would best suit your situation. That's what I myself did back when I was suffering so severely in the mid 1990s. And it's what you would do right this minute if you had a cardiac condition that markedly affected your life. Or a pulmonary condition. Or a rheumatological condition. Or a hematological condition. Or an orthopaedic condition. Or a renal condition. Or a gastrointestinal condition. I mean, you might try a few stopgap measures that you picked up from friends, from books, or from the Internet. But if they didn't get the job done in relatively short order, then you'd get professional help. Well, tinnitus is no different in that regard. The only problem is that there are fewer truly knowledgeable and experienced resources. And that is definitely a real problem, but it's not an insurmountable one.

That's how I see it, anyway.

stephen nagler

30. pef

pef Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/16/2013
      Trivialize the condition? Hardly. Read my posts. When I got tinnitus I was a wreck. I thought every aspect of enjoyment in my life was over. I could not sleep, I could not concentrate, I was a walking zombie.

This is a support forum. People come here also to hear about success stories. It is unfortunate you feel the way you do, but your attitude hardly gives hope to people who are having trouble dealing with tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 1