Do You Get Silent Days?

Discussion in 'Support' started by RaZaH, Nov 25, 2014.

1. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      I had nearly 3 silent days few months ago after chiro treatment.
      It didn't last:(

2. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      Good RaZaH. At least some time for breathing.

I remember that I had my quietest days when I had a bad night. Really weird.
      Also I remember people saying that once you have something else, like a bad headache, your T gets lower (I had the impression myself some time ago). I guess this is because one has to deal more with the headache than with T.

My T also gets low when I am listening to loud music (concert, circus, theater). It must be loud (I know not possible for the H guys here) that I do not hear my T. So I concentrate fully on the music. Afterwards T is very low. I guess some form of residual inhibition and also distraction.

How does it help us? I don't know.

Like @RaZaH said, we are in full T search mode (first-class detective). I guess we would hear even the slightest, faintest noise. But if T would be lower, we would be thankful and live with it. The problem is loudness of our T.

Here is my scale:
      1. Quiet days (0%)
      2. Better days (5%): T more in the left ear than head. Still loud and high pitched.
      3. Bad days (85%): T in the head, loud and high-pitched.
      4. Horror days (10%): Multiple tones, oscillating, unbearable.

Remember: Good and bad days are not about loudness, but about your reaction to T!

• Like Like x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      I have also noticed that when I do go to the studio and listen relatively loud , my T gets lower ??
      Makes no sense and I cannot be sure that it is not a coincidence.
      It also seems that after particularly bad T days , I get the good days , that might just be relative.

"Remember: Good and bad days are not about loudness, but about your reaction to T!"
      Are you being sarcastic ?

That is not my experience , I can kind of relate to that when my T is low , when its low my mood dictates how much it bothers me , when its bad then my mood doesn't stand a chance.
      My head is splitting open , got nothing to do with reaction.

4. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      I'm usually having 1 good day and 1 bad day.
      Sleep seems indeed to be the catalyst.
      I wish someone should look into that instead of developing yet another noise masker contraption.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. Asian

Asian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 weeks
      I used to get 0 T days in the first 5-6 months..I don't get them anymore and my T changes every month

6. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Well if I ever got a low day my first reaction would be to be really freakin happy. I prob wouldn't sleep because I would be too excited that I can live a day with it low and not have it distort my every thought. Not having to be in bed for 16 hours in a day because I can't handle the piercing noise would be amazing.

Well I can dream. Maybe one day.

7. Martin69
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      Partly. Like you, if T is lower (seldom), I try not reacting.
      But the problem is, like for most, the limbic system reacts automatically.
      So my tension, blood pressure and stomache react automatically.
      Therefore, unfortunately, my reaction is still strong like in the beginning. :-(

Nevertheless, people say one must work on the reaction and on the long run, things will improve.
      I don't know. Maybe I can tell you in some years - if I am still alive.

But man, the most important thing is: T can change and can become silent.
      Or Trobalt/Autifony will help us.
      Or whatever will happen...

• Like Like x 1
    8. Martin69
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      Maybe we should think about what we have in common that we have so many problems with T. Why do others can handle it better?
      Is it really loudness or just personality?
      I don't know, just wondering and trying, like you, finding a way out of this BS.

• Agree Agree x 2
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      RaZaH
      Cheeky

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      I am not sure , valid questions.
      I have days where I go " I could live with this" but then it just gets so piercing and loud .
      I have to assume that loudness plays a huge part , I am not even after a full cure anymore , if it would just stau put like it is on my better days I am sure I could move on.

• Agree Agree x 2
    10. Larry OT
      No Mood

Larry OT Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Volume, meds and motorcycles
      It's very odd that whatever changes happens during sleep like a quiet wake and quiet day, it's amazing that the quiet lasts for the entire wake day (usually).
      Something shut down not allowing T to act.
      For me, if I lay in bed too long on a quiet day, I can hear the T slowly start to kick into action. Like little spurts of neuron activity. Just from not getting out of bed, seeking a little dose time.
      When it starts up, it can turn a quiet day into noise.
      That's gotta be some chemical activity pushing through to activate T. The wake chemical called acetylcholine must play a part.
      I guess...

• Agree Agree x 3
    11. Larry OT
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @locoyeti

When you wake without T how do you feel. Is it a tired drowsy state?

A study should be make with all vitals and brain scans from a T day and non T day.
      The mystery must be evident in there somewhere.
      I hope...

12. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Who can handle this better? I'm confined to my home, I have such bad H that I can barely, I mean barely even have a conversation. My ears feel like they are infected and in pain even in the absence of noise (all the time I feel like I have needles being pushed into my ear/brain). My T is loud, like never ending loud and painful. I get migraines all the time. I don't get a break from this ever. Being in pain and in bed is not something in my personality. Even when I was very sick the odd time in the past I would never spend a day in bed.

If this is my personality or a personality flaw and the rest of the world can handle this better than I then people are not as weak as I thought they were. If this kind of pain and isolation that I endure every day doesn't bother a person than IMO they are not human. You could isolate a person with no physical suffering and they will crack. That is why they use isolation as a punishment in prison. Add physical suffering to that isolated person and see what happens.

Anyway I'm frustrated with all this. I'm frustrated with explaining this to people, even on here I'm not sure people get what I'm talking about or what I'm experiencing. I think I need a break from TT.

Take care Martin. Hope you get some peace.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
    13. sandra72

sandra72 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      may 2014
      For me is if it is a loud day and have more trouble coping with it. But still goes out to do mine thing. I have also loud days and silent days. Like now its silent. Also have days without T. I dont know why that happens.

• Hug Hug x 1
    14. OddV
      Assassinator

OddV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      I always wake up to louder T. Going into the AM-101 injections though, I was a constant 7. Now, I wake up to a constant 6 and then it starts heading south after I get up and about... takes about 1 hour for it to start going into the background.

15. MattMSP

MattMSP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      So am-101 has helped you oddv?

16. Martin69
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      @Telis, no offense. Sorry.
      I know how you suffer, I really now. You have it really bad and would probably swap with me.
      Man, what a BS.
      I only thought loud, because people tell me that I need to accept this, live with it and go on.
      And I ask myself, why can't I?
      Like you, trying finding a way out of this.

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      Have you been to the chiro since?

18. Larry OT
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Telis,
      The is a disconnect between how loud T is and how bad H is for everyone. It kinds gets unified as a singular experience of simply T or H but the levels are truly deciding factor in how anyone can manage with it.
      I communicate with people who suffer, and I.m sure they do, but you find they can mask their T with some ambient sound. Does that compare with unmaskable T and the degree of suffering it causes. I think not.
      So not every message can be related to, but the theme of getting past the noise and pain is the same. Its the only course of we can take to learn to live with it.

I can sit here on a quiet day and its easy to say. On a 10/10 bad day Im posting desperation pleas for support and direction in unreal misery and I feel like you, angry when a question of personality or perception is raised as to suffering degree. There is no relationship to me.

If you twist someone arm a little, its hurts a little. If you twist someones arm till its just about broken, its a whole different story. T and H is no different in degrees of magnitude. But I do get that everyones suffering is relative to their own tolerance.

It is not ours to judge in anger. I know how you feel, not as often as you do and probably not not severe, but I know from your suffering and others that there is no real comparison. When I saw the poll about "can you hear your T over the TV" I was stunned to see some people can't hear tinnitus over a TV!. Really?
      why are you here is what goes through my mind.
      While there may be few equals in this level of hell, we do have common needs:
      Acceptance, support, and information to share.

Easy for me to say this on an easy day. When the shit hits the fan for me and my knees buckle and my mind cant function and my body gives way, I'll be on the other side of that coin and all bets are off. Like Jeckel and Hyde the monster in my mind turns on me and bites hard. All the proverbs and concepts and definitions of habituation are very far away from relieving this misery.

Try and lose the anger, it won't help you. Some of us do get what you feel and we support you fully.
      Everyone here supports you.
      I know for sure, I do.
      peace,
      Larry

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. OddV
      Assassinator

OddV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
    20. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      Happy for you RaZaH..I do lot
      Of quiter days and when I get spike i really miss those days .

21. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Yes but with very mixed results, some occasional improvement but nothing lasting.

22. Sven
      Fine

Sven Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Never, since it began. I do have plenty of days when it doesn't bother me, though.

23. MattL
      Jaded

MattL Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's
      Excellent news RaZaH!

Do you have any updates now? Are you still feeling better?

• Like Like x 1
    24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      RaZaH
      Cheeky

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      well..it came back ... with a vengeance, for a while , it is however pretty low at the moment.
      Fluctuating like crazy though , was almost silence 10 minutes ago .
      Weird stuff.

25. Mark McDill
      Curious

Mark McDill Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely stress, anxiety, an antibiotic and nsaids
      RaZaH
      Awesome -- days off!!!

I know what you mean, my T is screaming every morning too.

Mark

26. Mark McDill
      Curious

Mark McDill Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely stress, anxiety, an antibiotic and nsaids
      @Martin69 @Telis
      I've been off the site for a while but implied in your threads is a reference to personality and how it effects T (and the implication that some think it is personality driven). Given the universal nature of pain, I don't think it can be necessarily placed in a personality framework -- by virtue of the fact that no matter a person's pain tolerance, once they experience pain THEN IT IS PAIN (duh!).

I lasted six days in solitary confinement (before howling at that moon) and you only lasted 5 1/2 days; do you have a character flaw or weak personality? Who cares?!?!?! It's an absurd, pointless question -- pain is pain.

By no means would I discount your pain nor attribute it to personality or character; I read your posts and feel (at least relate to) the pain I read -- my heart (and prayers) go out to you.

Obviously, personality plays out in any ailment (broken/missing limbs, cancer survival, etc.) since personality is inescapable (you can't NOT be you) but it is abundantly clear that both of you have 'go-getter, life-lover' personalities -- proof that personality does not play as much a role as some may imply. It would be foolish and very unproductive to attribute this ailment to some kind of personality issue.

Both of you are in my prayers; do not give up hope my friends, there is great hope in this life.

Mark

27. Martin69
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      Hey Mark.
      Good you are back. Missed you.
      Hope you had a good time off and enjoyed not reading about our suffering. ;)

I think that much is about loudness and type of T. For example today, my T was little bit lower. Much more bearable than when I have full blasting power plant in my head. I guess with a T from today, I could live on the long run. I do not react, I did my stuff today. Although it is still audible all the time, I could imagine habituating to this.

But loud T, high-pitched T and the T @Telis has (with H and pain) is another league.
      Don't get me wrong. One can suffer with mild T and people live fine with loud T.

I see our personality very strong in the way that we are strong enough surviving this until a cure is found or we habituate. It is a suffering I never could have imagined in my life - with anxiety, depression, loud T, my wife with cancer (I took the full package). Nevertheless I have met people who have it even much worse, for example with permanent strong pain.

Life is hard. And I am currently finding out how hard I can be.
      Thanks for your prayers.

28. kenny
      English

kenny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Went to a pink floyd tribute band Tuesday night there called "Brit Floyd", probably the nearest you'd ever get to the real thing, if you like pink floyd music and get a chance to see this group buy a ticket, you won't be disappointed, anyway everytime I go to a live music show my tinnitus is almost silent for at least a couple of hours after the show, where as a lot of people have to wear ear plugs to stop them having the reverse affect, man this condition is weird

29. Martin69
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      Same for me. When I am in loud environments (circus, concert, theatre, music), my T is low like never. I guess this is residual inhibition. The auditory system has other input to concentrate on.

• Like Like x 1