Do You Have Myopia?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Sam Bridge, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Just wondering how many people on Tinnitus Talk are short sighted?

My prescription is -5 and -7, what is yours?

2. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      In one eye. The other is farsighted. My eyesight is awful.

3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      -2 and -8, but I have keratoconus (it is like astigmatism, but on steroids) in the eye that is -8, so the vision in that eye is much worse than -8: it is impossible to get anything in focus in that eye, no matter how close I am to it.

Unless I am driving, I don't wear glasses. :) I am sure that the vast majority of the people around me who wear glasses, have vision that is better than my vision.

Doesn't that mean that you can see everything (see the objects that are far with one eye, and see the objects that are close with the other eye)?

4. MBH

MBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overloaded stress
      My eyes have astigmatism and have stayed the same for awhile, but will get worse over time. I wear glasses all the time.

5. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      No. The brain does not do well receiving such a mixed message — as anyone with uneven hearing loss can attest to, too.

Individuals with mixed anisometrophia usually have very blurry vision. Essentially my brain decided years ago to ignore the input from one eye. It never developed correctly as a result, making my brain continue to predominantly rely on the myopic eye. What I do see from the hyperopia eye is rather jumbled. I lack depth perception and my peripheral vision is limited, too.

Not fun. But I have had this condition my entire life. I can imagine it would be incredibly frightening and upsetting for anyone to suddenly acquire it. I’d say I’ve habituated to it; however, that thought never occurred to me. It’s just how I am. I suppose my hearing loss will eventually feel the same.

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Bill how do you manage not wearing glasses with the -8?

I take it you have hears about the dreaded possibilty of retinal detachment? I am -5 and -7 so i know what to look out for but its damn scary.

7. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I wear Verifocal glasses..
      love glynis

8. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      The same has happened to me - my brain is ignoring the input from the eye with keratoconus. In your case, can you close the dominant eye (say it is the shortsighted eye) and all of a sudden be able to see the things far away with your other eye?
      I am lucky that I have -2 in one of the eyes, so that is the eye my brain is relying on in order to see.

One time I found a beautiful rock on a pebble beach. It was too large to take home, so I decided to smash it into pieces. It had ricocheted and the fragments came very close to my Good eye... One wrong move, and one's whole life can totally change.

I did a 23andme genetic test and found that I am predisposed to age related macular degeneration. I am now doing all of the tests to catch it early, I am also eating the foods that might help to prevent it.

I just read up about retinal detachment and I see that it could be caused by extreme nearsightedness. I will make sure to ask my eye doctor about it, the next time I see her. Thank you.

9. cspc
      Studious

cspc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I have something similar but with myopia and astigmatism. I have higher myopia and astigmatism in on eye. My brain relies on the other eye even with glasses. Anisometropia gives you a lack of depth perception and peripheral vision.

10. Spiral
      Balanced

Spiral Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Oh shit man, sorry to hear that! Hopefully that doesn't happen. I don't think I could live without eyesight.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. Spiral
      Balanced

Spiral Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I'm lucky enough to have astigmatism in only one eye, far sighted.

• Like Like x 1
    12. Strife_84
      Energetic

Strife_84 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mixing music for long and too loud.
      About -6 in both. It would be interesting to see a chart if eyesight affects tinnitus level somehow. Any knowledge about tests like that?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    13. Agrajag364

Agrajag364 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      About 40% of Western adults have myopia. It would be difficult to draw a connection between this and tinnitus.

14. Strife_84
      Energetic

Strife_84 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mixing music for long and too loud.
      It would be interesting to see if there is any connection how bad eyesight you have . I am half blind myself without glasses. I've had glasses since I was 8-9ears old

15. Agrajag364

Agrajag364 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      About -3 in each eye so pretty mild. I think a connection is pretty unlikely.

16. Nathan
      No Mood

Nathan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music, Concert, Bad Luck
      I’m -3.75 in the right eye, and -5.50 in the left. I’ve worn contacts since I was 13, and glasses since the age of 7.