Doctor Wants Me to Change from Citalopram to Mirtazapine

Discussion in 'Support' started by Bazan, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Bazan

Bazan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi all,

I've been suffering from intrusive tinnitus for 11 months, it’s been the darkest year of my life, things are slowly improving, doing mindfulness everyday / just finished CBT on NHS.

My doctor wants to change my antidepressant from Citalopram to Mirtazapine.

Has anyone done this and has Mirtazapine helped at all?

Feel like I have plateaued on 40 mg of Citalopram, any advice would be appreciated.

Best

2. BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I'm currently coming off Mirtazapine. The first thing you will probably notice is good sleep. They don't knock you out, but after an hour you will drop off and wake up 7 hours later.
      Some people get hungry on them and put on weight.
      15mg is a good amount for sleep. Strangely higher doses don't work the same.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      If you don't mind me asking, why are you coming off? Does it not work for you?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bazan

Bazan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @BobDigi how are you doing these days? I remember reading you had habituated then you were in a bad place again? Hope yo are in a better place now? Strangely the only thing Tinnitus has not affected is my sleep, I will be taking 15 mg of Mirtazapine too, did you find it any help with the depression and anxiety?

5. Bam

Bam Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/stress
      Hey mate. Mirtazapine is great for sleep. You could pop even 5mg and drift off to sleep in no time. If I took anymore I always woke up feeling hungover until midday. Did nothing for T, neither increase or decrease. But did have the unpleasant side effect at 15mg of inducing intense rage. Not good for me in that respect.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bazan

Bazan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Bam cool think I'll just stick with the citalopram, as the only thing that has not been affected is my sleep, just reading your story and posts exactly how I feel, I have a 3 year old and the strain it's put on my family members is so sad, they do not deserve to also suffer like we do, I hope you are in a better place, all the best to all of you

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. Bam

Bam Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/stress
      Cheers Baz. I truly understand but so should they. This condition is beyond belief. Let’s pray it gets easier mate....in whatever form.

8. BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Hi Bazan, I'm doing well thanks. I've had 2 spikes over the last 6 months or so, so yeah i went downhill during them. But I'm glad to report things have gone back to baseline. I'm greatful, and long may it continue!
      I don't personally feel like mirtazapine has had much of an effect on me either way. So I'm currently working on phasing the mirtazapine out.

9. Tinniger

Tinniger Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain, now very somatic, started with noise?
      Mirtazapine is a very good sleeping pill. But its ability to lead to weight gain is true.
      It is therefore not suitable for people with an obesity problem.