Does Anyone Else Feel Facial Pain from Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Theezy, Sep 8, 2022.

1. Theezy

Theezy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/Rave?
      I have a high pitched electrical squeal in my right ear and it feels like it causes a burning sensation and tightness in the right side of my face. It is quite generalized but typically the pain is most prominent in the ear, cheek, and near/behind the eye, sometimes it’s a headache on that side. It developed over the years with my original tinnitus but after my recent increase it’s noticeably worse.

Is this normal with severe tinnitus?

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Wrfortiscue Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Wow I have exactly the same thing left side. Thought I was going nuts.

3. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      Excitement. Several conditions can cause ear pain or cheek pain, but with also having pain behind the eye with a one sided headache, often relates to rising blood pressure and blood flow with less oxygen. In moments of extreme excitement (pleasure or stress), it's easier for sound to cause sensory nerve reactions. Some are more prone to have this as part of their make up.

4. SmallRonnie
      Ape-like

SmallRonnie Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      H since 2018. T since 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      It might be trigeminal neuralgia.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. arctic_penguin

arctic_penguin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Get an MRA from a neuro interventional radiologist.

6. Kay Cee

Kay Cee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown perhaps sinus and allergies
      I had facial burning of neurogenic rosacea before tinnitus. Both diseases appear to be neuro-vascular. Although I can sometimes get the flushing of rosacea, I only occasionally blush. I sometimes get burning and swelling but no redness.

I also have hyper acuity to sound - most sounds, even sounds that don’t bother other people drive me insane. I can hear conversations from three tables away in a restaurant. I dislike it when people are eating popcorn in a movie theater and go crazy with sounds that are loud like leaf blowers. I despise gas leaf blowers. I’m also blessed with a sensitivity to fluorescent and certain LED lights. My wiring is off. Like an old lamp.

I agree with the poster who warns it could be a medical condition so to be safe, do seek help. My ENT told me six months of tinnitus and pain on one side is criteria to warrant a CAT scan. If your tinnitus is in both ears, I think that precludes them from prescribing a scan (if I understood him correctly). insurance dictates medicine IMO. I think I have had enough going on in my head with the vascular system to warrant a scan, but who am I to argue. They only treat, they don’t cure. $$$$$.