Does Anyone Else's Tinnitus Change From Ear to Ear?

Discussion in 'Support' started by geg1992, Mar 10, 2015.

1. geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure + Antibiotics
      When I first got T, I noticed my left ear was very muffled after the concert, my right ear seemed fine.

My left ear is where the ringing began, now it seems to transfer to my right ear sometimes and the left will be silent, sometimes it's both ears, or the left on it's own again.

It seems to change all the time which is really weird. Anybody else experience this or know why it happens?

2. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      yes, and seems completely random.

3. NiNyu

NiNyu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma? stress?
      Concert, so probably both your ears got damaged?! Although, sometimes my T (left ear) is sooo loud it feels like I hear it on my right as well.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure + Antibiotics
      Yeah but it's just strange that my left ear went muffled and was ringing, but the right ear was completely fine. Then the right ear joined in a couple of weeks later! And now it varies

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. NiNyu

NiNyu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma? stress?
      @geg1992 could be an after effect. Let's hope it recovers ASAP.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Giovanni
      Insomnious

Giovanni Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Woke up one morning.
      Yea
      mine was completely fine all day. And I was sitting in class and it came back 7/10 for 20 seconds then died down in my right ear, and afterwards both ears beeped for about a hour, and now I'm completely fine. Absolutely puzzles me but, isn't stopping me ;)

7. Evian

Evian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Just wondering really, sometimes it seems to be one side sometimes the other and sometimes both.

Has it any significance? Maybe two parts of the brain damaged?

8. Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      mine started out on my left after two years and constant sound exposures that made my T severe it hoped to the right.. after my doctor said that is impossible, the experts huh

9. Evian

Evian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015

It's odd how the experts think they know what the suffer is going through.

Also just why do they think we would lie about something like this, we are going to them for help so we are going to be telling the truth. Mine started in the left as well.

10. Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      because they think we are over exaggerating.. i told my ent how my t kept changing dramatically and how noises hurt which later i found out it was H no thanks to him. basically when they hear T its like a death sentence they cant fix it so they just tell you to live with it like if it is that easy especially when it ups over time.. ohh and they think everyones t is mild for some reason

• Like Like x 1
    11. Evian

Evian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      So true. I also wasn't made aware of what H was by them. It wasn't until I had my first attack of H in a restaurant that I then had to use forums and the Internet to find out what the heck was going on from other sufferers.

Thank goodness for the Internet as at least others who go through this can inform you what the heck is happening

12. Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      yeah i wish i was smarter and actually looked for answers instead of just going by the doctors now i know theyre full of shit but too late i have severe reactive T and severe H...i probably know more than they do

• Like Like x 1
    13. Evian

Evian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      I'm sure you do, I think they find us difficult to deal with but they could show a bit of support, rather than the learn to live with it.

Doesn't help my view of them is that I was waiting for a sinus operation date for ages and the T came in while I waited and feel that if I had received more timely treatment I might be in a better place than I am.

14. jeannie
      Stressed

jeannie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced, Ear Infection, Medication... Who knows?
      mine started in right ear then shifted to both ears and yes sometimes it feels like I can actually feel it moving from one side of brain to other, lately it has been in my whole head.. ugh!!!o_O it must be all over my brain right now...

• Hug Hug x 1
    15. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      T is definitely a brain thing for me. I am sure my ears are ok. I have hearing loss in high frequencies, but this was already long time before T. A very stressful moment switched on things in my brain. So probably those are overreacting neurons in the brain.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    16. Evian

Evian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Oh well at least I am not alone, I can't see how I will habituate when I can feel it is in places like the back of my head, plus I have the blocked ear feeling a lot, and can hear myself swallow louder in my right ear than the left and it was the right ear that started off with the ETD.

What a nightmare, it also annoys me that I am still trying to work out what gave me it, as I know it doesn't make a difference, I am stuck with it till my dying day and just need to find ways to cope

17. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      It is still early stage for you. I also had this blocked ear feeling a long time. This was because of being hyper-sensitivity. My brain and ears were on full alert all the time. Of course it can also be something else. But I know my ears are ok. It is just my poor brain doing those sounds. Give it more time.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    18. Evian

Evian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      It was a bit complicated I actually had the blocked ears for ages, Oct 2014 before the T kicked in six months ago. I was tested for ETD but it was actually inflammation caused by some dental implants that I has put in that kind of mimicked ETD and blocked ear feeling, as ENT found nothing. I've had them removed but the blocked ears and tinnitus and Hyperacusis remain, which I thought they would as I know once the brain has heard T it can't really unhear it.

Yes that's how I would desscribe it hypersensitivity, brain and ears in full alert

• Funny Funny x 1
    19. Naddesh
      Sunshine

Naddesh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Just wondering, my ear which got a kiss is actually the one that developed T because of the loudness/suction. But this morning it was almost a 1/10 but my other ear which didnt developed T from the first beginning was maybe a 5-6/10. How???? It has been my good silent ear since i got T. What happens in the brain? Now its back to normal. Is this some good progress? Just curios about the switch!

20. uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Yeah when my t first started , it was only on the right but like few weeks later my left ear got a different tone not louder but just a different tone like a fan running at full but in my case I really think it was just a physiological issue because of how much I was stressing but now I almost don't hear it anymore unless I really stress out I think my brain just produces that sound ( that's my in case) maybe same with you

21. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      Two years on its still isolated to my Left.

22. Karl28
      No Mood

Karl28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2001 bad since 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music via headphones
      I think it's just weirdness in the brain ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Agree Agree x 1
    23. Judith7

Judith7 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Ive only just joined them group so I'm 18 months late answering and I don't suppose you will see my answer. but yes, after 20 years of having a hiss in the right ear and a sort of breath in the left ear, they have suddenly changed sides. I am rather frightened. I know that if I tell a doctor, they just wont believe me. very grateful to know that someone else has the same experience.