Does Fleeting Tinnitus Scare You?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Hariz Nonis, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I get them about 1-2 times per day. Each lasts between 30 seconds and about 2 minutes.

2. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      I have read it just recently on more than one site relating to dental tinnitus. It's one of the first things mentioned. It has something to do with the 8 nerve that travels from the jaw to the ear. One site said that bending your neck will get you tinnitus way more than the drill itself. One site said that many dentists have a little tinnitus, but that is after years of treating patients. It's a slow development for a dentist to develop tinnitus. I guess it's because the drill isn't in their mouth. I remember reading that the sounds of the drill on your ear doesn't usually give a patient tinnitus and usually won't increase it for those that do. Although spikes sometimes happen lasting up to two weeks.

3. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sorry Bill, I posted my reply to you on the wrong thread.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Doesn't your posture in the dental chair depend on the shape of the chair? Is the default shape safe, as far as T goes?

5. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, I think so. The dentist that I went to for the implant, not my regular dentist had a head rest that was rounded. I had research dental chairs last weekend and many manufacturers make chairs where the head rest is like a hard pillow. So with those types, any bending of the neck forward will set one in a worse posture position. From the waist up - one's back, neck and head should be a straight line. I think the reason why I was bending my neck down was the pressure that the dentist was applying to place the metal implant into my lower front jaw. He was pressing really hard and my front jaw was killing me for several days. I can't take pain meds. At least the meds that dentists and ER docs give. --- Something else - two different kinds of metal in one's mouth can react with a positive and a negative causing high pitch tinnitus. My implant and crowns have two different kinds of metal. For those that didn't have tinnitus before or from another reason will lose their tinnitus if one type of the metal is taken out of their mouths. 20% of people who are older have more than one type of dental metal in their mouths.

6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      How old are we talking about?
      This is how I like all of my seats to be. Unfortunately, in the past 10 years or so, all of the cars seats and airplane seats force your head forward.

Would you say that one is more likely to be ok if one pushes one's head back into the headrest?

Is that because pain meds are ototoxic?

7. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think the article said 55.

The neck bending is a problem during drilling because that allows sounds to travel a wide open highway thru veins to your ear.

Yes, I'm one that can't even take magnesium.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    8. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      @Greg Sacramento The solution is to push one's head as much into the headrest as possible, right? Or should one visit one's dentist the day before, and check out the shape of their headrests?!

9. The Red Viper
      Curious

The Red Viper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 15, 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Current Theory: Neck injury (Tendonitis @ trap/SCM junction)
      It does scare me, but at least for me the frequency has dropped considerably. Used to happen quite a bit a year ago. Now, I can't remember the last time it happened.

• Informative Informative x 1
    10. lymebite
      Vegged out

lymebite Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Just before one starts, I get maybe one second of complete silence in the affected ear. That one second is golden and for that reason I look forward to episodes of fleeting tinnitus. I have one maybe one every couple weeks, but I would welcome them more often on account of the one second of silence.

Here is an interesting presentation by Dr. Robert Levine on fleeting tinnitus (also called SBUTT - Spontaneous, Brief, Unilateral, Tapering Tinnitus).

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...VzdGlubml0dXNzaXRlfGd4OjFkMjQzMGY3YTkzYjRjNDE

• Like Like x 1
    11. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It doesn't seem to explain why T sufferers seem to get these more often than the general population...

12. lymebite
      Vegged out

lymebite Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    13. MidnightOilAudio
      Ape-like

MidnightOilAudio Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Interesting paper. Thanks for the link. It lends credence to the idea of fleeting T as some sort of error correcting mechanism.

That doesn't take us from point A (having T) to point B (curing T), but it is yet another piece of the puzzle.

• Like Like x 1
    14. Applejuice

Applejuice Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20-3-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Is fleeting T dangerous? I had one a moment ago and one 2 days ago, before that I can't remember. Both in the same right ear. The tone went away the first time but it took time, I still have the tone now in my right ear (5 minutes) although it is a bit faded.

Does this mean there is any damage done, or is it harmless?

15. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      In another thread on this site, someone suggested that these fleeting spikes might be our brains trying to heal themselves. This hypothesis is consistent with the fact that people with T get these more often than healthy people.

The link in this thread states that fleeting T can be stopped by opening one's mouth wide. If these bother you, you may consider trying to open your mouth wide. I think I will not be doing that, just in case these fleeting T spikes promote healing...

16. Applejuice

Applejuice Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20-3-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Ok thanks. I had it a third time just now. Really weird because I had a relatively good and calm day today and my T didn't even spike once.

The tone is staying for now but I read that it is called prolonged spontanious tinnitus and it is harmless, big relief. Whats weirder is that the third time my T pitched higher in rhythm a couple of times and it sounded like that tinnitus relief youtube someone posted here where you hear random beeps.

17. Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      going for a rim shot on the snare drum.
      Get it from time to time...in the beginning i thought i was getting worse and sometimes it occured after exposure to loud noise. I did experience it for a few seconds today but i was in a very quiete room so its pretty much a totally random occurance. Havent had one in a while though.

18. Nikopol

Nikopol Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (sinuses, stress or cervical...doc opinions differ)
      My first fleeting tinnitus that happened 4 days after onset actually gave me a panic attack. I dont know exactly how, it was a new sound and my curiousity peaked and I started listening to it. Before I knew it I thought I am having a hearth attack.

But not anymore. It still happens from time to time. There were days when I got 3 or 4. And there were weeks when I didnt get any. I actually am experiencing now spike that last for second day and I got fleeting tinnitus again today, but it was first time since March, I believe.

• Like Like x 1
    19. Kibakiru
      Creative

Kibakiru Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 28 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown | PT: Unknown
      I get fleeting tinnitus every other day. It used to scare the hell out of me in the beginning but now I keep calm. Of course it still startles me because the pressure in my head seems to suddenly 'drop' along with the noise, but once I get over the initial shock, I remember that it'll go away. So It doesn't scare me anymore.

• Like Like x 2
    20. MajaC
      Not worthy

MajaC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      fleeting (2012) Chronic (end 2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Birth, hearing loss, hearing trauma
      When I had my hearing trauma, I started to have them aaaaaalllll the time (with another things that I still always have). Now that I have a constant tinnitus and hearing loss, it seems to happens less but I still have some sometimes so I guess I'm just used to it now :/