Does Someone Experience a Worsening of Tinnitus with Masking Sounds?

Discussion in 'Support' started by ReyKalinic, Mar 15, 2016.

1. ReyKalinic

ReyKalinic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably vestibular neuritis in summer 1999
      Hi

Does someone experience a worsening of tinnitus with masking sounds? I use an app from playstore "whitenoisefree" that have many sounds of nature and not. Usually the only one that can mask my high pitched tinnitus is the "Violet noise" but I got always a worsening even with respect of the minimum masking level. Someone with similar experience? Suggestions for a best setting? Thanks

2. noisebox
      Loved

noisebox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      West End show. Came back 2015 vitamin D overdose prescribed
      Yes I agreed to try maskers supposedly matched to my T. I was told I needed them in both ears, even though I only had it in one, as T can jump.
      I wore them over 5 days for grand total of 16 hours and my T suddenly went very very high pitched, and in both ears. Over 9 months later, my old good ear still occasionally gets T and the T ear still s shocking high pitch.
      Gutted to say the least.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Atlantis

Atlantis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      It's reactive tinnitus

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ReyKalinic

ReyKalinic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Could be better avoid masking? Or insist?

5. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Yup. Me.
      Simply because I would mask then try to listen to and compare my T to see if was getting better. Which it didn't.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ReyKalinic

ReyKalinic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ok thanks. I agree. It is a disaster. It's more better hear the music. The huge problem is that with the high frequency tinnitus is very difficult to distract the mind. :cry:

7. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      I can't stand the typical white noise, it's too high pitched. I did find some white noise rain at https://mynoise.net/noiseMachines.php that is actually very soothing after I customized it. It's like a blend of white noise and brown noise. I recorded it with Audacity and imported it into my iPhone. You can also play any of the MyNoise audio directly from their website.

If you go to that link and click on whatever your sound preference is, you'll see a graph at the top of the page that allows you to adjust various things like bass, treble, mids, etc., to get the sound exactly the way you want it. I did that and can listen to it for hours at low volume without my tinnitus reacting.

8. smel

smel Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1994
      Whenever listening to notched white noise (the static kind), my T sometimes seems louder afterward but settles down within an hour or so.

9. Wolfears

Wolfears Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 20/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely accoustic trauma
      I have the same problem...any sound no matter how low whips it into a high pitched eeeeeeeeeeeee.
      I sleep with cotton in my ears as it at least somewhat blends with my breathing sound..still not much help.
      I firmly believe, that this is is the most brutal torture that anyone can experience on continuous basis.