Does Tinnitus Caused by Loud Music Get Worse?

Discussion in 'Support' started by CarloZ, Oct 11, 2015.

1. CarloZ

CarloZ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      I was doing fine these past 3-4 days and I even got a perfect full nights sleep last night for the first time in 2 weeks. But this morning my tinnitus got a louder. Not TOO loud but pretty louder. I'm not to sad. I'm still going on with my day. Still playing video games and all but its bothering so much and my fear of tinnitus getting worse has increased. It is normal for tinnitus to do this on the first month?

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Tinnitus can change in strength and sounds and over time you will get to understand your tinnitus ad the quieter times will get better when dont notice the sound.
      Keep away from really loud sounds and always handy have ear plugs with you .
      Most people adapt to their sound over time but can still get setbacks with spikes.
      Stay positive....lots of love glynis

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      I still remember when I got T. It was 1974. It came on from loud music and was all over the place.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      CarloZ

CarloZ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Mine is all over the place as well. Did you get used to it eventually?

5. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Hopefully your T is not as bad as mine. I tortured my ears when I was young.
      I've played music all my life, mostly loud music. The T volume increased through the years til last year when I discovered a method here on the forum that knocked 99% of it out.
      If people try to get you around loud music, remember this story..https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/mega-tinnitus.3782/#post-35268
      The way I got long lasting relief, finally, after all these years was this .. https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/back-to-silence.7172/

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      CarloZ

CarloZ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Do you think listening to music through speakers at a moderate volume can increase tinnitus? I avoid headphones now but I still listen to music through speakers. Not loud though.

7. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      That's a loaded question. There's so much to consider.
      I've learned that the room you're listening in and especially EQ settings can mess with me even though the volume is moderate.
      I've had 40 years of dealing with T and my love of music.
      High pitched sounds are hard on me and probably other people too. Very bassy sounds bug me too. But when the mids are strong that's the worst of all. Sounds crazy, I know.
      I'm constantly tweaking knobs for the sake of my ears.
      Headphones and earbuds are the worst, you're right.
      My problem through the years has been trying to keep my music down but it always starts to creep up. Like when you're in the car and you turn it up a little. Turn the car off then get back in and get blasted by my own settings.
      I would say moderate is OK for most, but beware, moderate can get out of hand.
      That's been my downfall. I've been cautious but not cautious enough.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      CarloZ

CarloZ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Wo
      Would you say you suffered from tinnitus those 40 years? Or did you habituate and ignore it eventually?

9. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      On and off through the years. Up and down. BUT, and I don't want to scare you, it gradually got worse. If it disappeared, something would trigger it and it came back where it left off. Almost as if my ears were saying, give us a break and we'll be good to you. After my initial damage in the 70's I cooled it with the loud music for a while. But years of concerts, loud tools, work, etc.... and one day the T was constant. I'm 57 and in the last 10 years or so the T has been constant and louder. BUT... not anymore because of the method I mentioned.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      CarloZ

CarloZ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Wait your tinnitus actually disappeared at the times? :eek: Mine hasn't gotten louder in 2 weeks, but I keep get new noises or changes.

11. Andrew B

Andrew B Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 weeks ago
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss
      Just wear protection when going to a concert or a nightclub to prevent your T getting worse, Otherwise you will just get temporary spikes

12. Zora
      Depressed

Zora Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1st time: Megaphone ;2nd time: headphones too loud
      @Andrew B do you go to nightclubs? do you have noise induced T?

13. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      Sounds a bit like playing Russian roulette with your ears. Maybe that advice would work OK for the younger cohort here. I suspect though that each of us has unique needs and limits, and no two of us would be exactly the same.

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. Engineer
      Creative

Engineer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/20/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely acoustic hearing loss
      And old saying 'Do the best you can, and then forget it'. Do the best you can to protect your ears, and then try not to worry. My T is noise induced, and I've worked hard to get out of the habit of checking it or thinking about it. I try to be vigilant about keeping the volume as low as possible, and protecting in loud environments (for me movies, stadiums, sport events, etc). It's hard to stop worrying about what might or could happen. Good luck with the battle.