Does Tinnitus Get Worse Over Time?

Discussion in 'Support' started by laney, Feb 1, 2014.

?

Has Your Tinnitus Gotten Worse Over Time?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. suncityguy

suncityguy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss
      Was it loud immediately after the music or did it take several months?

2. Jesse Pinkman
      Badass

Jesse Pinkman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      I think you quoted the wrong person

3. suncityguy

suncityguy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss
      Did the tinnitus get louder immediately after the loud music?

4. suncityguy

suncityguy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss
      sorry, new here

5. Harry
      Cold

Harry Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/29/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Out of the Blue
      If this is the reality, how to protect myself from hearing loss?

6. Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      I'm no expert, so please take what I say with a grain of salt.
      All I know is my dad has T from a combination of noise exposure and aspirin use. He also has industrial deafness which is getting worse. In turn his T is getting worse. So hearing loss = worse T for him.
      That's why I think what I do.

7. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Instantly.

8. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Quiet job, quiet family, quiet hobbies. Really.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Ilija
      Breezy

Ilija Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud gig/year of loud headphone usage.
      Wow, you see now why I say don't go around forums like these?
      Supportive when you're depressed as hell, absolute anchor when you're trying to make your life something more than Tinnitus.
      No getting older doesn't mean louder Tinnitus, I mean seriously people I realize you're scared but shit really?
      Tinnitus RARELY EVER gets worse unprovoked, not by age hearing loss which is slow and non traumatic to the brain I mean loud music like he who loves music had.
      Losing a few hearing cells by years won't provoke Tinnitus and it won't certainly make it louder, if it's a masking thing you have cochlear implants and hearing aids, in 30-40 years by the time you'll be old there will be 10x better stuff for hearing loss and Tinnitus, just don't think about it, don't be a jerk to your ears and most importantly stay away from the forum, dang.
      Look you want proof?
      Take my great grand father, lived in the country, shot guns 24/7, got mild Tinnitus, drank like a fish, had Tinnitus from 30 years old he is now 98 I asked if it ever got worse, NO, unless it was a spike it's the same as he has had since it began.
      Don't worry about it, really, I mean think of the medical advances 1980-2014 now think of the medical advances with all the new technology say 2014-2030.
      Shit they thought was incurable then is now, shit that's incurable now will probably eventually be curable in 10-20-30 years.
      But generally just continue to be habituated, don't care about it, and stay of the forums.
      Now I'm going to sleep so good night from Serbia and stop being so anxious, I'm still 60% sure it was the anxiety that made my Tinnitus worse and my hearing sensitive.

• Hug Hug x 4
      • Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Genius Genius x 1
    10. tinnitussufferer
      Angry

tinnitussufferer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2004
      Tinnitus does go up and down though. Doesnt mean your drink is the reason for it

11. tinnitussufferer
      Angry

tinnitussufferer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2004
      I never shot guns or drank or even smoke. I got tinnitus at a young age. It is not exactly mild. So everybody is different. We simply dont know enough about tinnitus to make general statements about why people get tinnitus or how it will progress.

Most of us cannot completely avoid loud noises. There are sirens, cars, buses, trains, etc. And what fun is it if you have to wear earplugs everywhere? you may as well be deaf.

• Agree Agree x 2
    12. Jesse Pinkman
      Badass

Jesse Pinkman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      I know that, but it might be the reason

13. Asian

Asian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 weeks
      Please don't get carried away by the negative posts. It either stays the same or reduces greatly. I read somewhere that in more than 70% of the cases, it reduces with time. Do you really think there won't be any better treatments as the time passes? Forget about your old age.By the time you turn 33, there will soooo many working and real treatments available for T. Some even reducing the noise to a great extent.

• Like Like x 1
    14. Greg Clarke

Greg Clarke Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, Live Music
      I'm in agreement with @Asian @Ilija

Next year I'll be 9 years with Tinnitus, it's got a little worse since onset but I think each individual is different. My bandmate has it 14 years and it's never changed for him and he continues in his profession as a musician.

I looked at a discussion on tinnitus on a general board here the other day and it was refreshing to see so many talking about it casually, improving or not letting it bother them.

This forum is fantastic, it's a great resource there's no disputing that. The only drawback is it is populated by a small fraction of Tinnitus sufferers world wide so I think sometimes the support and advice can be biased toward the negative.

• Agree Agree x 2
    15. tinnitussufferer
      Angry

tinnitussufferer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2004
      tinnitus has been around for hundreds of years. There is no cure up to now. By the time a cure arrives I'll either be dead or I would have suffered already for so long that it wouldnt make a difference to me.

But I dont see any reason to believe a cure will become available soon. Nothing has worked so far. Look at how many cures there already are on the internet. They just dont work for most of us.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    16. Ilija
      Breezy

Ilija Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud gig/year of loud headphone usage.
      Exactly the board is great and all but people have to understand this is only 5000 people, not diminishing the suffering just saying.
      Out of the say 10 mil who have had or have Tinnitus how many millions just forget about it and move on like nothing.
      My grandma,great-grandpa have Tinnitus and never even mentioned it (although I wish they would have) my dad had it while working with machines and his went away after time.
      The internet is a BAD MUVE if you're looking for positive stuff cause anyone who is over Tinnitus or has lost it won't go around posting since guess what-yes they don't care.

• Agree Agree x 3
    17. Champ
      Woot

Champ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma from headphones
      There's a lot of treatments for a lot of neurological issues already out. On this board alone we're tracking a number of companies and universities that look to have some good valuable products in development for bringing the noise down.

I don't care if I'm 70 and they cure it. Even if I die and they don't cure it, big deal. But I'll remain hopeful AND rational. It's not like we're still in the middle ages. We have software to do massive data crunching and scientists with more knowledge than ever. Be hopeful not pessimistic, it's a way better mindset.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    18. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma

I agree the internet is bad for those with phycologically driven T or those that are prone to being hypochondriacs They listen to the stories of people with real T and in their mind things get bad when in fact most of it is in their head and their minor T is not even the issue in their life.

98% of T is not that bad...however the 2% get grouped into that 98 percentile and wonder what is wrong with them. I wish we could measure this all objectively. It would put all this BS to rest.

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. Jesse Pinkman
      Badass

Jesse Pinkman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      I disagree on this. First of all tinnitus is becoming more of a problem for society. This pushes for a cure. 2nd of all, the attempts of finding a cure the last 100 years have pretty much been shots in the dark. Its very recent that scientists discovered how tinnitus actually works. Its much easier to create a cure for something you actually know the mechanics of than something you know nothing about. For the past centuries scientists thought tinnitus was pretty much an ear issue. I think trobalt is a step in the right direction. Even though it hasnt been a magical cure, it has showed properties that scientist can study further and make use of in future experiments.

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Sticking to what the OP @beq451991 said, a few points. Some fact, some my opinion:

* It is not a definite that having tinnitus will make your hearing worse. In some cases, yes. But often, no. Everyone is different.
      * Even if the answer to above is yes, less hearing does not automatically equal louder tinnitus. It equals less hearing. At which point you might be looking at hearing aids.
      * There is a good chance that as you age, you will become so used to your tinnitus that you rarely notice it.
      * Yes, most of us will lose some level of higher frequency hearing as we age. It's part of the aging process. But, as I said above, losing that hearing does not mean you will develop tinnitus to go with it.
      * Reading a lot of negative posts on tinnitus forums can (not a definite, but a possibility) make you more anxious. Which in turn, may increase your tinnitus.
      * If I was young and already had tinnitus, I probably would stop going regularly to very loud bars. Or if I did go, I would wear ear plugs with a lot of db protection.

• Agree Agree x 2
    21. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      It is important to realize that not all people with hearing loss are having tinnitus. So when we age and have more hearing loss, it may not mean more or louder T. It is also true that millions have T, some with loud T and are able to live a normal life. I know of a lady friend known to have a fiery temper. You would think she would resist her T but surprisingly she is accommodating to it. Is her T mild? No, she has loud T, so much so that she said sometime she couldn't hear what people were saying to her clearly. She also joked that once she couldn't hear the siren of a fire truck coming to her condo apartment due to a false fire alarm. But she is living a normal enjoyable life as a senior retiree. She just told me she is getting used to the ringing and that is just that. I believe there are lots of people like her. Gosh! Some people have different DNA when it comes to facing T. I think we don't need to worry about the future much. Like others say, there may be better treatments by then. Your T may get better or you will progressively habituate to it. You never know. So why not just enjoy the present moment right in front of us. That is the only thing we can do something about to make it a great moment.

22. flkb
      Amazed

flkb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/01/2012
      Like people have said, it's different for everyone. My friend's father has it (for the longest time I never knew---he got it during his navy days). He said his changed here and there---suffered through many years but he got used to it after decades and decades of having it. Even now he hears it and his hearing isn't the greatest but he told me that as bad as it is, he endured and is fine with it, along with his friends who have it. I'm going with that positive train of thought since thinking the other way will not do anyone any good.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    23. James7

James7 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      My tinnitus has gotten gradually worse since onset and is still getting worse. I have tinnitus as part of a neurological disease called "visual snow syndrome", along with the tinnitus I also have visual snow which is basically optical tinnitus, seeing a bunch of flicking noise in your visual field 24/7.

There's some posts above making some pretty bold statements like tinnitus "really rarely gets worse" and that in "70% of the cases it gets better". Another statistic I read on here said everyone who's ever had their ears ring for a few seconds are considered to have tinnitus and that because of that a third of the US population has tinnitus. I guess for all those tinnitus people who don't actually have tinnitus their tinnitus goes away maybe?

Trying to make people feel better is one thing, but when people make up statistics or state their assumptions like they're facts in order to do so. it becomes counterproductive. It's this kind of willful denial and spreading of misinformation (albeit good-intentioned) that holds tinnitus research back and slows down something actually getting done about the problem. It reminds me of how when you go to a doctor who can't help you at all they just make any kind of reassuring statements they can think of to get you out of their office regardless of if there's any actual validity to those statements.

• Agree Agree x 2
    24. Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Absolutely not. I have talked to a lot of doctors and professionals about this very point.
      In most cases, an improvement of t is seen, not a worsening.
      I have often thought - well, when we put earplugs in or occlude our ears, t is magnified. But to my understanding, this is a completely different process to that of aging hearing loss in the cochlea/inner ear.
      Also. don't forget that hearing loss and tinnitus are not connected across the board. Many with hearing loss do not have t. And quite a few with t do not have hearing loss within the normal band of everyday frequencies (up to 8000Hz).

• Agree Agree x 3
    25. Asian

Asian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 weeks
      Agreed. The tinnitus community has been disappointed every time and even the big organisations and researches don't still agree on what actually causes it, leave alone treating it. But, Tinnitus has recently come into highlight like never before and the amount of research taking place now is also like never before. There are thousands in the military disabled with tinnitus as well and I am sure they will come up with something in the near future. We already have partially working treatments and they will be even more refined along with other treatment options which will work differently for different people. I understand this stupid condition deserves a lot more attention but a few treatments look promising to the extent of even reducing the noise.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    26. Karl28
      No Mood

Karl28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2001 bad since 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music via headphones
      My T got louder over time.

27. ampumpkin
      Amused

ampumpkin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 12/2007 Increase: 04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2007: Meds(Antidepressant) 2014: Meds(Antibiotics)
      My T was the same from 2007 until 2014. I attended concerts and went to clubs during that time, with plugs.

The only reason my T got permanently louder is because I took antibiotics that were ototoxic. Otherwise, my T would most likely be the same.

28. Jesse Pinkman
      Badass

Jesse Pinkman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      How much louder? What was the initial compared to the current loudness on a scale of 1-10?

29. Karl28
      No Mood

Karl28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2001 bad since 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music via headphones
      I think it started off at about a 1 or 2 and now its at 7

30. inadmin

inadmin Member

Any factors you can think of that contributed to it?