Does Your Tinnitus Volume or Frequency Change?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Paulmanlike, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Just wondering, before I couldn't really hear it, later in the same exact spot eeeeeeeeeee.

Or does your tinnitus continue and never change? Would be interested to know.

2. Elinor
      No Mood

Elinor Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure and barotrauma
      Mine fluctuates in volume, between normal and loud. It never goes the other way though, from normal to low. :(

3. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      My right side is steady and never fluctuates. My left side is just the opposite!

4. Carlyi
      Blah

Carlyi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ
      For me it's different everyday. Some days are very low, others normal. It depends how my neck and my jaw is feeling that day, if everything hurts i can expect louder T.

5. TinniTom
      No Mood

TinniTom Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      very loud disco night
      This is something I asked myself. I'm not sure if T is changing loudness or sometimes it's harder to deal with it and then it feels like it is louder?
      The last days I would say it is louder but when I try to compare it with other sounds (watching TV, driving in my car,..) it seems that it is the same level as ever. This would mean only the mood changes which makes it harder to deal with it sometimes.

What do you thing?

6. Rainbowsheep
      Cheerful

Rainbowsheep Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music, I suppose
      I can't really figure out if mine really changes or if it's just because my perception of it changes. Some days it seems really, really loud and other days it seems almost close to silence but if I plug my ears the volume seems to be the same. But I do have days where it seems quieter even when I plug my ears so maybe it's both. Some days it's my perception which have changed and some days it is actually quieter.
      I do know that mine changes sound, though. Some days it resembles the sound of a radio without signal and other days it is has piercing high-pitched tune in addition to the old-radio-without-signal sound. It is somewhat more bearable when it's only the old-radio-without-signal sound as it is usually masked by everyday sounds whereas I can here the high-pitched tune over almost everything except the shower.

7. Makrohn
      Supportive

Makrohn Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss - Explosion - Stress
      Mine changes all the time through the day. Volume, pitch, tone and hiss in a variety of different types. I would like to know what causes it to be so changing.. I cant think of anything other than daily (and normal) changes in the chemical balance in the brain.

8. ScottK

ScottK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Always had it, as far back as I can reme
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably loud noise.
      Yea. I have an underlying high pitched whistle/hum, and it it surrounded by different pitched noises, all higher than the underlying sound.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      A researcher told me all the stuff that causes everything in this discussion. I listed it my last post under the zinc thread. There is a few things to detail from stuff on the list. Pitched nerves, nerves touching other nerves or muscles. Also something that comes in pairs, one on each side where - usually a muscle like the sternocleidomastoid is off balance compared to this same muscle on the other side. C spine disks. Jaw.

Levine and so many others say that high pitch tone and changes is somatic - neck/jaw - physical 70% of the time.

All I know friends is that my neck cracked earlier today. It was so loud. My T dropped from very severe to just severe. I'll pay dearly for mentioning this, but any small temporary relief is so nice. I'm afraid to lay down.

• Agree Agree x 2
    10. kharrisma1010

kharrisma1010 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Mine is overall constant, but also variable, consisting of multiple high-pitched frequencies with one frequency or another becoming louder and standing out among the rest, then it fades back and another one increases in volume, only to again recede and another becomes dominant. It's really hard to determine just how many frequencies I'm hearing; seems like three or four, and they cycle in volume randomly. Different in each ear. Lot of dissonance with competing frequencies going on at times. It would be annoying, but it's been going on for so long (1972 or thereabouts) that I almost don't even notice it anymore, like people who have pendulum clocks in their house just stop hearing the constant "tick-tock-tick-tock."

11. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      Yes mine changes almost daily now in volume and frequency. sometimes more monotone sometimes distinctly multi tone Only consistency is it is always there in some way. A spike for me is an increase in volume and even higher pitch than usual, so it rises above background sounds because it is higher pitch than normal sounds. More of a fizzing sensation. Sometimes flickering ultra high freqs
      Rarely I get low frequencies too. I’ve noticed an underlying gentle hiss/white noise sometimes when using good ear plugs.

Keeps things interesting I suppose. My hearing tests results are always very different although always within normal.
      Didn’t help getting acoustic shock a few weeks ago from sub 85db sound even though I had ear protection.

@Greg Sacramento ditto the loud neck cracking. Also that horrible pulled nerve feeling in the neck in the nerves running up from collar bone to the ears.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. slipware
      Bookworm

slipware Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Had mine 5 years now, after SSHL. It changes pitch, tune, loudness and feeling and balance every single day. No two days are the same which is why I’ve never been able to habituate to it. Nasty affliction, but life goes on, albeit changed.

13. Ger W

Ger W Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus common cold
      I'm 14 months in and tbh finding it difficult because I hve tinnitus that fluctuates every day. I do not have hyperacusis.

I would love to know if this is a common thing with tinnitus. Trying to understand why the quiet hours won't last. Every day it fluctuates right up to a sizzling pan noise! Hope I make sense.

14. leftearguy

leftearguy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/10/20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Weed, Hidden Hearing Loss
      Yes and I'm lucky for it. It's just weird cause even when I can't hear it, I can feel it and bothers me :( my tinnitus is strange and I'm trying to figure it out.

15. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      One of my sounds fluctuates a lot. I hear it less in the morning, more in the afternoon/evening. Still seems to "migrate" between ears or where I hear it more. And not every day is the same. For example, today is quieter than normally, so I'm curious how tomorrow will be. I really can't figure out what triggers it.