Dogs Barked and Jumped on Me... I Now Dislike Dogs

Discussion in 'Support' started by Coyotesheaven, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Coyotesheaven
      Depressed

Coyotesheaven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multiple
      So, today I was minding my own business on a quiet walk in the neighborhood. Well sorta. Anyway, so I was relatively cornered by a leaf blower just down the street, along with a lawnmower going down the other street. All at the same time, there was this person walking their dogs off-leash not very far from me.

So, what basically happened is that the dogs started running towards me and barking loudly and rapidly without any stopping. They surrounded me and kept barking over and over again, until I was able to break away after about 7 seconds and run, which I'm not supposed to do because of a neck injury.

I can't say how angry I am about the irresponsible owners....and they will be hearing stern complaints from me.

I'm just really worried because my hearing did go down shortly after the dogs went away from me, and it hasn't come back and my ears have been ringing all afternoon. I know that the pattern with me is that I always get permanent threshold shifts, even though the noise exposure was very short and not long-lived. I'm just afraid that this is permanent.

Anyone else get permanent threshold shift from just a few dog barks before?!

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      I kinda had your issue today. I was at a walmart getting out my car and saw a stray dog running and i tried very hard to catch up with it and rescue it, I had no success. (I love animals and if i see them in danger, i try to rescue them) (this is how i live, please don't be like me :))))) )

I agree about one thing, owners need to put a leash on their dogs and be more careful with them. I have had dogs bark at me before, it gave me just a little spike and then it went away. All of us are different of course, but that was my experience....

• Like Like x 1
    3. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      Don't know if it works, but there's an ultrasonic dog deterrent called the Dog Dazer, which emits a very high pitch sound that confuses dogs and stops them from being aggressive when they hear it. Humans can't hear it. My only concern is that it might have a detrimental effect on our auditory system, but it probably doesn't since it's above our ability to hear anyway.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Coyotesheaven
      Depressed

Coyotesheaven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multiple
      @Luman

It was days like this where I wished I had one on me; my hearing has not come back and everything is distorted and I just want to scream.
      Problem is that sounds we can't hear, given the right intensity, can still hurt us just as much as audible noises can. There are articles about this reality but I can't remember where I found them :/. Therefore I would actually be more concerned about the whistle than two big dogs barking at me.

• Like Like x 1
    5. jer

jer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Did you try a course of those steroids that are supposed to be taken for acute hearing loss? Maybe that can mitigate some of the damage that was done. Sorry I can’t think of the name right now.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Coyotesheaven
      Depressed

Coyotesheaven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multiple
      @jer

I'mm alllergic to prednisone unfortunately. I did take 10mG but something else spiked my T last night. and made my left ear very full. I still just can't believe that I got struck by an everyday thing like this....heck I even had earplugs in even though they didn't fit great when this happened., and covered my ears.

7. jer

jer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Can’t you just wear some good peltor headphones whenever you go walking?

8. butterfly75
      No Mood

butterfly75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I just panic in those situations. You're not supposed to run from a dog as it can prompt the urge for them to chase you, so I don't know what I would do. You walked away after 7 seconds, and you covered your ears so you I don't it caused any permanent damage. Has the hearing distortion faded? Hope you're doing better.