Door Slamming

Discussion in 'Support' started by Street Spirit, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Was at my daughters parent /teacher meetings and a teacher came out of a room and slammed the door sooo loudly right next to me.. it made my ex jump and complain. My ear began to hurt right after.

I was reaching for my ear plugs while this happened. Today I have a wet feeling in my ear and it hurts.

This has been a rough week. I don't want to slip back into paranoia land regarding sounds, but now I am worried about damage.

My T is ok but still more pronounced in left ear..h is worse again..

I just can't win...I realize I should of inserted plugs before entering school..it happened as soon as I walked in..

just venting...life with H and T sucks.

and I had made some real progress too..now I am trying hard to not get sucked back into the fear and depression of H..or the catastrophic thoughts...

• Hug Hug x 5
    2. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Sounds like it was loud but very unlikely that any damage was done. Totally Understand what you mean though. Something that happens to me alot but maybe a
      Lil worse.. people at work dropping a 15 inch metal pan on concrete floors... You
      Can imagine how loud that can be but i jump and then say fuck it yeah it was loud but it was quick so im sure im fine. Key is too try and stop worrying about the loud bangs that only last a sec or 2 cause most likely you did no damage and its just your anxiety runnin its corse.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Grace, are you saying that if I would bang a pot with a hammer next to your ear once every dayfor 1 year, you would not have any damage? just curious.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      I didnt say it was directly next to my ear, i was in the kitchen. But those that drop it is on accident and im too busy to worry about it. But yes everyday directly next to my ear, yeah that would cause damage i would assume.

5. Dan Reagan
      Chicken

Dan Reagan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Hi Lynn, I had a high pressure bicycle tire explode less than two feet from my ears about 10 days ago, my T was almost silent that day prior to the explosion, immediately the volume went up many decibels. The verdict is still out if my T is permanently worse now, but it definitely set me back to earlier stages. But I'm thankful that it calms down at times even after that loud explosion. I definitely know how you feel.

6. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      Lynn - I had very similar incident happend to me 2 weeks ago .
      My home Alaram went off and my T spiked for 7-10 days .
      It did went back to base level ( almost )
      Two hours ago some one spoke loudly about 2 inches away from me !!!! My T is again spiked up !
      This really sucks guys !!

7. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011

8. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      Hi Dan ..just curious did your T went back to baseline after tire had exploded next to you?

9. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      hi Lynn: I also slammed my wooden door loudly by mistake and now i hear stupid ring. I was doing failry good from last few days.
      How long it took before spike subsided after slamming the door.

10. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Lynn

I have posted about this myself a month ago..

A solid wooden door slammed shut right near me. Immediate pain and muffled hearing. Scared and anxious all over again.

Totally settled down that night.

Spoke to a leading researcher/audio on hyperacusis/ttt (Myriam westcott) she reassured it was a protective reaction that is fed by fear and anxiety. I rested my ears that night and all was well☺

• Like Like x 2
    11. Mark Beehre
      Facebooking

Mark Beehre Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2008 // 11/2014
      The audiologist I spoke to suggested non-lineer based ear plugs. It's an open plug witha filter that lets you hear the quiet sounds normally but cuts out the peaks from louder sounds converting the sound to heat. Weird...but true!

He recommended this to help reduce my sensitivity to sound and the reactions I get from it. Might be worth trying?

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    12. Thongjy
      Balanced

Thongjy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      Did your ring start immediately after the door slam?