Dysacusis — Anything Proactive I Can Try to Help the Distortions?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Simon85, Sep 24, 2021.

1. Simon85

Simon85 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably noise exposure, but unknown.
      Hi all. I get a woooo tone, almost as though someone is blowing on the top of a bottle or like amp feedback, lightly over voices and more heavily over music. In the beginning it was so bad that music was an absolute mess. It has gotten considerably better, but I’m still struggling with it and I’m concerned that it’s here to stay. I’m 10 months in.

Apart from giving it time and hoping for the best, is there anything I can try that’ll help with sound distortions? I’m taking Magnesium, listening to light pink noise over a speaker periodically and obviously avoiding any loud noises. I’ve also got some musician’s earplugs and have occasionally been playing acoustic guitar, some banjo (less frequently) and ukulele.

There does seem to be some variability to the distortion, but I haven’t noticed any patterns as to why it’s worse at some times and better at others. I have noticed, however, that certain songs are more distorted. I am also thankful that playing single acoustic instruments doesn’t appear to attract much distortion, but music recordings appear to be the main issue.

Wishing you all a good day and am keen to get your thoughts.

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. Brian Newman

Brian Newman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting/loud noise
      Hey Simon, yeah my distortions have a complete mind of their own. I have some kind of inner ear injury or spine issue causing mine but I’m 9 months in. Some months I barely notice it, others it’s horrible. It’s better now for sure. Working out makes it so much worse.

I have been trying to find anything that helps. I know @Matchbox has found some things to help his. His distortions are terrible.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Simon85

Simon85 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably noise exposure, but unknown.
      @Brian Newman, thanks for your reply. I hope you find some relief. I’ll be sure to post if I see improvements. I thought I’d ask the question and for the moment I’m playing the waiting game.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Brian Newman

Brian Newman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting/loud noise
      Yeah, just try to relax. When I get stressed, it gets worse. My case is wacky af though. Most people from what I heard get better with time. Such a fun thing, right? Hahah I miss my normal ringing.

• Like Like x 2
    5. Dennis66

Dennis66 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have this whoo in my right ear as well. I've noticed that if the sound gets distorted and I put my finger in the other ear, the distortion is less?

6. Tau
      Probing

Tau Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2019-Concert, 2021-headphones/acoustic trauma at 110dB,16kHz
      I just keep getting new distortions. Absolute insanity. I think it's hyperacusis and recruitment in my case.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 2
    7. Kenilworth

Kenilworth Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      You did mention in the one thread that the problem may be linked to the Cochlear Synaptopathy. It makes sense considering we hear tones just fine with no problem, which may rule out hair cell damage.

Some people report back with improvements, which begs a question to how/if the auditory nerves recover after a damage has been done. If I'm not mistaken, synapses cannot repair themselves, which makes me wonder whether improvements were in form of habituating or actual improvements in the nerves.

Some research put forward for consideration that synaptopathy can be restored/repaired. If that's the case, does that mean the distortions (along with hyperacusis) may become less or diminish completely?

8. Ace
      Musical

Ace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud jam session on top of years of music performance/mixing
      Have y'all been overusing hearing protection? I find that similar symptoms come around for me when I do that for whatever reason, but later become unnoticeable.

What worked for me was incrementally reducing my reliance on earplugs, in part by reducing the strength of the plug filters, and then allowing myself to forego their use in more situations. Do not do it all at once, because extreme discomfort can make you further reliant.

Actually right now some new frequencies are sounding particularly amplified to me and I hate it. Sure enough, this past month I was overusing plugs and wasn't sure where I had put my lower NRR filters. I can't help but feel that there is some correlation between this and my increased sensitivity. This situation can be a damn nightmare but I'm hopeful it will subside just like all the other times.

• Like Like x 1
    9. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      There is some cross talk between the cochleas to a degree for stereo sound.
      Doesn't matter much, simply proves what we imagined, this is synaptopathy.

10. Tau
      Probing

Tau Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't wear earplugs at home. But I have to protect my ears in the city, otherwise I get severe ear pressure with a bit of pain.
      There may be a degree of healing for younger people. The idea is that if we fix the cochlea, the brain should adapt to the signals being there again and the symptoms should diminish. But nobody knows for sure.

11. Ace
      Musical

Ace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud jam session on top of years of music performance/mixing
      I am 100% on board with wearing earplugs in the city. I often do it myself just in case.

Do you use musician's earplugs though? If you are, and typically use filters with the biggest NRR rating, then perhaps you can experiment with the next level down in terms of NRR and see how that feels. Even if just for a few moments a day at first. Just make sure that you still cover your ears with your hands in the event that emergency vehicles come down the road, and stuff like that.

12. Tau
      Probing

Tau Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That's what I wear in the city. I hate anything in my ears (like earbuds, I loathe those things), but I get ear pressure if I walk out without my plugs now. This has progressively gotten worse after my MRI.