Ear Canal Burning — What's the Cause?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Orions Pain, Dec 18, 2020.

1. Taw

Taw Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Pain hyperacusis since 03/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (drum lessons)
      @Orions Pain, I have the exact symptoms that you describe and I am trying to find the cause of it, that' why I started a diary.

One of the main things is wearing earmuffs for more than 2 hours, I get facial burning and stabbing pain for at least 2 days.

Another thing is wearing earplugs for more than 1-2 hours, my ears get irritated and I have to use Dexamethasone to calm them down.

Last thing is cutting my hair with clippers, although I wear plus+muffs, the vibration goes to the brain and triggers the symptoms.

Btw, AFAIK the researchers did not find yet the cause for pain hyperacusis, so it's hard to tell.

2. anotherforumuser

anotherforumuser Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      15 may 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MRI + probably neck
      I get ear canal burning and sometimes deeper inner ear with odd feelings including stabbing, burning myself too, also some outer ear milder pain.

Right now researching neck/spine/TMJ anatomical dysfunctions that can lead to pressure in the area in odd ways - to the nerves, blood flow or muscles- as possible contributors.

Of course, there's also cochlear damage, as explained by the "noxacusis" threads on Tinnitus Talk many times.

3. Taw

Taw Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Pain hyperacusis since 03/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (drum lessons)
      @anotherforumuser, I have had TMJ and cervical pain a long time before hyperacusis and I think it aggravates the symptoms.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Cory_
      Inactive

Cory_ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / TMJ / Paracetamol / Alcohol / COVID vax / VSS / ????
      I have exactly the same!

5. haha ear go eeee

haha ear go eeee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hyperacusis
      My burning symptoms just started showing up. It feels like a menthol feeling. It's sometimes in the middle ear and face, but most of the time it's in the outer ear.

I have primary middle ear noxacusis so I'm assuming this is from the tensor tympani muscle being aggravated and causing the inflammation, which then irritates the trigeminal nerve.

Sometimes itching accompanies the burning as well. These symptoms usually flare up from noise, but are sometimes present in silence.

6. MadeleineHope
      Inspired

MadeleineHope Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic shock/noise-induced
      So sorry that this symptom has started for you too *hug*. I re-read a chunk of the Norena article today & it seems as though it's spreading inflammation. Interestingly, Norena also states that the inflammation can eventually reach the inner ear, where the pain receptors there (type II fibres) are activated.

Maddy

• Like Like x 1
    7. haha ear go eeee

haha ear go eeee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hyperacusis
      Oh that's horrible news lol. Do you have primarily middle ear noxacusis? How would you suggest stopping this in its tracks before it reached the inner ear?

8. MadeleineHope
      Inspired

MadeleineHope Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic shock/noise-induced
      Well, noone knows for certain, but yeah, that is in the Norena model - the possible spread to the inner ear.

I have TTTS, & my symptoms developed after acoustic shock, so middle ear noxacusis makes a lot of sense in my case. However, I believe I may have pain stemming from inner ear receptors as well, since I am very sensitive to certain frequencies/sounds even at extremely low levels. To be honest, I think many people with noxacusis may have a combination, or eventually end up with this combination. And it's interesting how Norena makes the link.

As for stopping the inflammation in its tracks, I wish I knew! I mean, of course there are the usual Western medicine routes of anti-inflammatory meds & muscle relaxants that could be tried but I know most of us here are worried about making things worse with meds. So I'm trying to work on tackling these two things in a more natural way. How much that helps, who knows. And I admit, I do get tempted to turn to Western medicine every now & then, since I worry about the progressive inflammation.

Norena also talks about the possibility of severing the muscle, but personally I wouldn't do that, since it's involved in protecting the ear from loud sounds. And tinnitus & hyperacusis are actually known risks of the procedure.

Maddy