Ear Candling Helps Tinnitus? (Nope. Please Avoid.)

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by bob, Feb 2, 2014.

1. bob

bob Member

Has anybody tried this treatment and how was the results.

2. carlover
      English

carlover Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      hi bob been there done that a good few times,sorry mate waste of time for me

3. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      I just went over to youtube and typed in ear candling, lot's of demos there plus different opinions.worth a look if you are trying to decide on this treatment.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      bob

bob Member

I'm going to give it a shot. Just because it did not work for one person it could work for another person.

5. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      True. let us know how it goes....

6. Catarina
      Old hag

Catarina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2006
      While I wouldn't discourage anyone to try something, I would be careful with ear candling. The general view is that it is at best useless, at worst dangerous. Institutions like Health Canada and the FDA in the USA are discouraging the use and have issued warnings. Sometimes they are said to be an old practice originating from the Hopi indians, but this has been denied by the Hopis. The stuff that is said to come from your ears during the treatment actually comes from the candle itself. Should you decide to try it, be careful the treatment is done by someone experienced. Absolutely don't try to do it yourself, you could damage your ears quite badly.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    7. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      I echo what Catarina says, it's potentially dangerous and has been proven to do absolutely zero benefit to your ears.

The best outcome is a placebo effect, the worst is damage to your ears from the candle wax.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. carlover
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      Wouldnt pay someone to do it either,get them online and do it yourself its not rocket science ,easy enough,doesnt do diddly squat by the way.

9. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      tried it once hesitantly... didn't help whatsoever.....

wont try it again with what I have read about its potential dangers........

10. Mad maggot
      Breezy

Mad maggot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      At the market I saw some people advertising ear candling where they put some weird candle in your ear, light it and it's supposed to clean your ears or something! It looks bizarre to me. Has anyone tried this? To me it looks dangerous.

11. RichL
      Inspired

RichL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Quite simply, it is a crock of shit and can be dangerous for nothing more than witch doctor therapy! ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      ear candling is wack!

• Agree Agree x 2
    13. Mad maggot
      Breezy

Mad maggot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Don't think I'll try it then... Looks dangerous

14. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Agreed,...useless for T,... however, if you let the candle burn all the way down it could be useful for us guys that want to get rid of those unsightly ear hairs....:D

ear-candling.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
    15. carlover
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      You may as well shove them up ya jacksy ,at least that would be more fun

• Like Like x 1
    16. Mark662
      Transparent

Mark662 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1988
      I have used Biosun (Hopi) ear candles for over ten years, maybe 4 or 5 times a year. They have had nothing but positive effect on my tinnitus, albeit temporarily. They do actually remove ear wax. You hear it being drawn into the candle tube and it is definitely ear wax residues left in the unburnt section after use. They aren't a substitute for other conventional methods of wax removal, as they will not remove compacted and excessive amounts.

I believe some of my tinnitus was brought on by an ENT assistant vacuuming my ear.

'Candle' is a misnomer. Biosun ear candles are not made of wax, but an impregnated cloth-type material. There is nothing to drip.

I know it looks dangerous having something burning in one's ear. However, I have used them on my own with the aid of a mirror to check the burn progress, without issue.

The process is relaxing and calming like the blurb says. I do not know why, but it is.

These things get a bad press. Maybe someone has had a negative experience with them. I haven't.

• Like Like x 1
    17. ElsieDee

ElsieDee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      My adult daughter 12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      car accident
      This often demonized ancient therapeutic procedure can stop tinnitus in some. I prefer to use 100% bees wax candles. The first time may take 2-3 ear candles for each ear. Results can be miraculous from my personal experience. Read up and know what you're doing, or have a naturopathic dr. do the candling, even better.

18. Aroma16

Aroma16 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Wow! Lots of views and misinformation on this thread. I'm a complimentary therapist and qualified in ear candling in 2006. It's not a sure fire cure for tinnitus. It's had no effect on mine at all, but I have had clients with tinnitus that have found it very beneficial so it is horses for courses.

It's only dangerous is you use unregulated candles and don't know what you're doing. It's not a difficult therapy to administer but there is obviously fire involved!

Biosun are the only candles I use. They meet EU safety standards which are pretty stringent!

The wax you find in the candle after treatment isn't from the ears, it's the beeswax from the candle. Some unrepeatable practioners will tell you it's the residue from your ears, but that's rubbish. The candle does produce a slight vacuum but it's not strong enough to such ear wax out of the ear canal. What it does do is equalise the pressure in the ears, which is why you have to do both. The warmth from the candle does soften ear wax and therefore makes it easier for your ears, which are self cleaning, to get rid of it. Also means it's more likely to come out in the shower and some people do find it deposited on their pillow! But the candles don't suck it out, that's a ridiculous claim really.

It is also a very relaxing treatment in it's own right. There's something very calming about the crackle and the smell is lovely too. I have clients who have ear candles specifically for relieving stress.

It's unlikely that much difference would be made to tinnitus after one treatment. I find a minimum of 4 treatments are needed to make a difference, but like I said, it doesn't help everyone, myself included. But I definitely wouldn't dismiss it if you've not yet given it a go.