Ear Infection 1 Week Ago

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Dispencer, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Dispencer

Dispencer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      Hello,

I'm a college student and last Thursday night I got an ear infection in my left ear. Since then I've heard a faint ringing in my left ear that I can only describe as like the sound of electricity in a silent room but louder. I can't hear it when talking to people but if I'm in a silent environment like the library or a class lecture I can hear it for sure. I went to the doctor and they gave me me Amoxocillin for the ear infection and I've been taking that since.

Now see, it's finals week here so at first I was really depressed hearing this sound the first few days but since Sunday I've just had my head to the books studying and playing background soothing water sounds to drown it out while trying to forget about the sound, but seeing as my finals are coming to an end and my ear infection feels like it's gone away I'm wondering if this sound is ever going to leave my ears. I don't know if I could live with sitting in silent lectures and be able to focus.

Am I worrying too early? It's only been a weak but my ear infection feels much better so I feel like the cause has mostly gone away. I can still pop my ears with my jaw so maybe it's not gone entirely?

Is this going to go away? is it only being in 1 ear significant? What can I do?

I feel somewhat helpless but again I know people are in worse situations so I'm grateful it's not crazy loud or changing pitch or anything but I want a solution.

EDIT: Also is it safe to use headphones? I have a pair of M50x's and sitting in this silent dorm room I can only drown out the tinnitus by playing relatively quiet sounds through these. Is this safe? I hear headphones are bad, idk.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Yes. It can take a few weeks after an infection for T to subside.

Just be careful about exposing your ears to loud sounds, whether from headphones or any other source.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Aaron44126
      Balanced

Aaron44126 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Eustachian tube dysfunction (from infection / labyrinthitis)
      If it's from an ear infection, it will probably go away completely... But be prepared for the idea that the sound may linger for a while after the infection is resolved, perhaps a few weeks, it can take a while for the inflammation in the ear to settle down.

I think that you can use headphones but take caution. Don't turn the volume up too loud. (That applies even after the tinnitus is gone!)

• Like Like x 1
    4. Kdt

Kdt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 17.2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Took mine a few week ago to go away

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dispencer

Dispencer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      It just went away. Hope it doesn't come back, thanks.

• Like Like x 1
    6. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Nice to hear. When T is traceable to a definite cause, then when the cause is healed, T will likely fade. That is how we advise new members not to panic to aggravate T and delay healing. Congrats on your speedy healing. God bless.