Ear Infections and Loud Noises

Discussion in 'Support' started by Street Spirit, Dec 3, 2014.

1. This may be a stupid question but can having ear infections increase your risk of noise induced damage?

My daughter is being treated for double ear infections and one is particularly worse ( she had a blister on left ear) and I started wondering if exposing her to loud environments would make her more susceptible to damage because of current infections?

She is currently on amoxicillin and the blister is now gone. The GP also prescribed antibiotic ear drops in case her eardrum perforated from blister. Thankfully it didn't.

Throughout this ordeal she has had muffled hearing, autophony and brief tinnitus in right ear.

Of course with the state of my ears I am a worried Mom, but also curious what effect an ear infection places on our sensitive ears.

Thanks!

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      I can't answer your question.

But I can say that the placement of ear tubes is the most common outpatient procedure performed in children. That means that there are a lot of ear infections going on in childhood - and who knows in how many cases those very infections have a knock-on effect later in life (in terms of early hearing loss and/or tinnitus). The scars from my own ear tubes were still visible some 30 years later...
      I don't believe there is any added susceptibility (in terms of developing tinnitus) between ear infections and daily (average) noise exposure, but there is an added susceptibility between the latter and certain antibiotics, however. There is also an increased chance of developing tinnitus if doing more than one type of ototoxic medication.

Ear infections by themselves do, however, increase the chance of tinnitus and/or hearing loss. Needless to say...

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. Marlene
      English

Marlene Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Lisa as a mum with T your make good decisions for your girl ,far better than a mum without T ,who have no knowledge to the damage treatments and meds can do just use your gut instinct as a mum with having T .
      Your in the driving seat ,and you've read all what there is on TT ,and there's ENT Drs to ask advice as well ,they're chip in with advice I'm sure .Hope she heals with ear infection .Still have what I'll call baby ears ,never like when kiddies are unwell.Lets know how she is . X

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Street Spirit
      Lurking

Street Spirit Member Benefactor

Thanks for your response ATEOS! It's her first one and she is 11. Hopefully her last.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Street Spirit
      Lurking

Thanks Marlene :) I as well had only one ear infection as a child and never an ear problem after until this past year..I did make sure to ask alot about her ears and what to do. We did alot of steams and gave her natural nose spray decongestant. .I am starting to suspect allergies may of played a role as she has been suffering lately with congestion after spending time at her bestfriends house who happens to have alot of animals. She has also come back with hives.
      X.

6. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

OnceUponaTime Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      @Street Spirit 35 I hope your daughter feels better soon. I'll say a prayer for her. Having double ear infection is no fun. I would not expose her to loud environments while she's got the infections. The ear is already ill. weak.... let it rest. Keep her home, lots of chicken soup and tons of hugs and kisses. :) Let us know how she's doing.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    7. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      I believe it is quite possible to go through the majority of your life without an ear infection. I wouldn't know the true statistics (does anyone?) but my guess is that a good proportion of ear infections are caused by not drying the ear canals properly after a shower. Warmth and moisture form the perfect scenario for the beginning of an ear infection...

• Agree Agree x 2
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Street Spirit
      Lurking

Yea, the doc found it odd she has never had one before..or "lucky" he said..She has had allergies and a bad virus for the last 2 weeks so it obviously set up the perfect breeding ground for an infection.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Marlene
      English

Marlene Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Lynn ,yes they get younger and younger getting allergies ,even within my own family .Asthma sinuses ,and Coeliacs ,all youngsters ,immune based I believe sets it off ,I think foods being sprayed by farming the cause ,or fair part in its causes ,Got to come out somewhere ,sooner or later .
      Soon be Christmas for her ,hope all cleared up ,long gone .i get ear infections with T ,one thing having it as an adult ,but another thing entirely having it when so young keep doing what you are for her ,about what I'd be doing if one of mine .Bless her heart X

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Street Spirit
      Lurking

Thanks @OnceUponaTime that is very kind and sweet of you :)

@Marlene I agree, all these allergies in kids these days is down right frightening! I mean what is going on?! You're right, probably all GMO and pesticides.

We grew a garden this year and that was nice and I plan on doing it every year now. .I do my best to buy healthy food but I certainly can't always shop organic on a family budget.

Yes, thankfully she should be good by Christmas! :) Thanks for your warm thoughts! X.