Ear Pain This Week. What to Do?

Discussion in 'Support' started by vermillion, Nov 26, 2017.

1. vermillion
      Whistles

vermillion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      It's been from past Tuesday/Wednesday. I got this intermittent spontaneous sudden pain. In my right ear. Sometimes I feel something in the left but very faint. The pain came and go by itself. Even during night, where it was total silence.

Unfortunately from Friday night the pain is constant. It's deep in my right ear. I have this faint burning sensation, sometimes i get those twitches, sometimes I feel this tingling/itching and sometimes even my earlobe. Yesterday, as for today, I have locked myself in the house. The pain is bearable. I had moments, like after waking up where i don't feel it, but in general I feel this dull sensation. It's there all day fluctuating. I am even afraid of my cats purring. I know that i am screwed.

This is a totally new situation. How do I address that? I feel desperate.

Ps. @Lex I inboxed you the same text, since I can recall that you are experiencing similar symptoms.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. BuzzyBee
      Bookworm

BuzzyBee Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      This really sounds a lot like TMJ/TMD pain, especially since it's in both ears. You could go ahead and have the doctor take a look (always good to rule out infection), but there's probably something going on around the joint. I get that pain, too. I told my doctor it felt like someone was stabbing me deep in the ear. He says that's typical of TMJ and the fix is physical therapy (or time). TMJ/TMD is very complicated, apparently.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      vermillion
      Whistles

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      Thank you. The pain is prominent in my right ear. The other one gives me only occasional twitches.

4. BuzzyBee
      Bookworm

BuzzyBee Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      Yes, that's how mine is. It's mainly in one ear, but then occasionally the other ear will feel some twinges of pain or little jabs (almost as if it wants attention, too!). The pain in the bad ear is like a stabbing and fairly intermittent. There are days where it's more persistent and the pain lasts for hours.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      vermillion
      Whistles

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      Interesting information @BuzzyBee. I have to admit that the last two days is almost constant... oh boy.

6. Lex
      Blah

Lex Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad decisions
      Sorry to hear you're going through this, @vermillion. Ear pain is a common symptom of H.

You can have your TMJ checked, maybe it will ease the pain. But I think it's all ear-related. Ears react to sounds and vibrations, the muscles in it get tensed up or the nerves get activated, and in turn, they affect the surrounding areas (including the TMJ).

7. Aegaeon

Aegaeon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/08/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Diving
      I had exactly the same thing about 2 weeks ago and still it hasn’t gone away completely. Random, intermittent, faint, irrelevant of sound exposure ear pain that was preceded by some short of crackling, clicking or twitching inside my ear. I assume this pain is a result of trigeminal nerve irritation. Sometimes the twitching was so fast that the pain seemed constant. I think it was brought on largely by my anxiety. I’m very sure this is TTTS as my fullness became worse at the same time as well as the hearing distortion or dysacusis with certain sounds. Seems like this muscle is working overtime at the moment.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      vermillion
      Whistles

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      Ευχαριστώ. Since you are from Greece as well, maybe we can pm and exchange information. I would be interested to know about your strategies so far.

9. noitseuq

noitseuq Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Right 2006. Left 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music
      @vermillion got rid of that pain or burning discomfort???

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      vermillion
      Whistles

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      Yes it got better.

11. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      has your Tinnitus gotten better?

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      vermillion
      Whistles

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      Of course not. It's only getting worse and worse.

13. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Susan Shore Treatment will help us for sure.

• Agree Agree x 2
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      vermillion
      Whistles

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      I don't expect any treatment to help me. Suzan Shore talks about somatic tinnitus and on top of that the device has to be calibrated according to your perceived tone so for a tailor made treatment to be established. My tinnitus is neither somatic nor could be analyzed in a full extend since it's so multitonal and weird. Nerve regeneration, hearing regeneration, access to the cochlea, full brain mapping and I don't know what else is a sci-fi scenario plus tinnitus is not a profitable target group. Let's check it out in a couple of centuries. I'm really sorry dpxd, nobody cares about us.

15. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      How can I send you a PM? You dont have the option for sending the message.

16. noitseuq

noitseuq Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Right 2006. Left 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music
      How long it took to disappear? Anything else you did to help??

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      vermillion
      Whistles

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      I was staying home away from sounds. I don't want to remember this symptom. It's a totally other level to have physical pain on top of tinnitus. I suppose it will get better for you too. Do you have hyperacusis?

• Like Like x 1
    18. noitseuq

noitseuq Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Right 2006. Left 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music
      H not sure, i'm slightly sensitive on tje hearing of the left ear after the concert were I got my ear injured, but has been improving. Right now what's been affecting besides the t, it's the discomfort/pain, maybe the same type you had and the t. It's been 8 awful months... Day to day I don't know how to alleviate. Expecting the next day it will be all gone....

19. Laurie1961
      No Mood

Laurie1961 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dental work
      Mustard powder and vinegar packs behind my ears helps the pain I get. If it's in the ear, like an ear infection I usually wrap a crushed garlic clove in a light cloth, put it on my ear before sleep and sleep on that ear.

• Like Like x 1
    20. AmericanJosh

AmericanJosh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise exposure while doing work on home
      And how would those help with pain inside the ear when they can't reach the source of pain?

21. Laurie1961
      No Mood

Laurie1961 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dental work
      @AmericanJosh--- it helps because garlic releases a gas that travels into the ear canal. The gas will also affect blood circulating in the skin near the surface, around the area. I think the chemical most responsible in garlic is sulfur based and it kills infections. And as you probably know that leads to reducing inflammation and then pain goes away. If pain is caused by heavy metal like mercury affecting the nerve- the sulfur in garlic can bind to Hg (mercury) molecules to form another that will have no to less affinity to nerve signals. And, once bound to sulfur the body is able to rid of it.