Ear Pressure and Tinnitus? 3 1/2 Months So Far

Discussion in 'Support' started by Daniel737-900ER, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Daniel737-900ER
      Artistic

Daniel737-900ER Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/17/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Today at 2:33PM EST I suddenly got Ear pressure and moderate tinnitus that was obviously audible. The pressure went down a lot, though i can still feel it. As of right now, the tinnitus is still there, as well as the pressure, and some minor pain. I did schedule an Appointment, but it's not until Tomorrow sadly. When it occurred, I did not panic nor worry, since it would make it worse, for those of you wondering. If you have any questions, please comment below.

Note:
      I'm flying this june, and i'm so excited!!!!! I'm flying to Cleveland, visiting relatives. The route is, leaving Manchester, NH, MHT-DCA-CLE. The return flight, leaving from Cleveland, is, CLE-PHL-MHT. MHT to DCA is on an Embraer 170, and the route for DCA-CLE is on a Canadair Regional Jet 200. CLE-PHL-MHT is all on an Embraer 175. This may change though. I'm flying on American Eagle, a regional branch of American Airlines.

• Like Like x 1
    2. Ian Mac

Ian Mac Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vestibular Nueritis, loud music (dubstep)
      It's called cochlear hydrops

3. Zeneth
      Wishful

Zeneth Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe noise?
      Ian, I think I have cochlear hydrops too, how can i cure/treat this?

4. Ian Mac

Ian Mac Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Get tested for hydrops at an otologist you may need referral by ENT to get to the otologist

5. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      How does one test for hydrops?

6. Ian Mac

Ian Mac Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      An ECOG test, done by your local otologist. Yes there's a test yes it's possible to check for hydrops yes it's possible your T is not permanent

• Informative Informative x 1
    7. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Thanks! I was not aware of this test. Looks interesting!

8. lymebite
      Vegged out

lymebite Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Ian Mac

How loud is an ECOG test?

9. Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      There's no test for Hydrops. They basically run a bunch of tests to rule other things out and then tell you that you have it if you meet other criteria. You have to have tinnitus, fullness, and most importantly fluctuating hearing. Your hearing has to be fluctuating a lot and mainly in the lower frequencies. Then if you have Hydrops they will tell you that there is no cure. You can try a low salt diet and diuretic. If those don't help, it will be up to you to figure out why you have it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Ian Mac

Ian Mac Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      lol it's called an electrocochleography test aka an ECOG test.

11. Ian Mac

Ian Mac Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not loud

12. Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      No. Most neurotologists will not use this test for Meniere's Disease.

13. Ian Mac

Ian Mac Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Um yeah we're talking Cochlear Hydrops.. which is distinctly different from full blown Menieres desease. Perhaps your confused? Cochlear hydrops is the Tinnitus of menieres without the vertigo of menieres, many people hear ringing from hydrops (it happens with unhealthy diet, like how 80% of the USA is unhealthy and they prb ably all have mild moderate or severe hydrops) if the hydrops pressure gets too intense from the unhealthy diet then the wall that separates balance fluid will rupture (causing full blown Menieres) and then you get balance and hearing fluid (endolypmyh and perelymph) mixing and you now have vertigo tinnitus and hearing loss aka full blown menieres. The test for hydrops is a simple ECOG but I got lucky that they thought it was worth doing the ECOG and billing my insurance , lol winning, getting them to perform the test will be your biggest hurdle because they rarely do it for mild cases of tinnitus, you have to be suffering.

You need an ear nuerologist aka an otologist, nuerologist like to spend their day looking at MRI's for tumors. Yes nuerologist are completely useless in my experience as well.

It's all about osmolality. Google it it's fascinating.

14. Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I've read all of the stuff on the internet and that is why I asked about an ECOG. That is when I asked the several drs I have seen about it. I even went out of state to see a Dr who specializes in it. As of now, the ECOG is apparently antiquated. They've given me every other test. At this point, they would give me anything they had that could give them better info. I'm not trying to argue with you. I just didn't want people to think that there was a test that could give them a definitive answer when there really isn't at this point. I definitely wish there was.

15. Ian Mac

Ian Mac Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah my otologist actually cares about my tinnitus, I'm lucky, but I'm also persistent, and my tinnitus was extremely bad, bird noises and crickets and an ocean, it wasn't until my ENT has performed surgery that didn't help my T that she referred me to an otologist, before that I never had heard of an otologist, you need an otologist, but you need a referral.

16. Dizzyhead888

Dizzyhead888 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medical mistake
      the ECOG test made my tinnitus much much worse and got hyperacusis from it.
      it was very loud for me. Dont know wth I continued with the test. I just assumed the doctor does it on many patients and so its safe. Biggest regret of my life