Ear Ringing Became Worse After Jaw Surgery — What to Do Next?

Discussion in 'Support' started by volt, Feb 21, 2020.

1. volt

volt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi!

I have had tinnitus for at least 3 months now, but it was minor and only annoyed me while I tried to sleep. Past week Tuesday I had a jaw surgery at the hospital and I did not see any change in my tinnitus, but as I went home my ears started ringing loud.

I need to add that I was ill before my surgery, but my ears was not hurting, had no fever only my nose was full. While I went to the hospital, I told the doctors my nose is full, they sent me to an ENT doctor to check if there was an infection in my throat, but she said there is no infection. So they gave green light for the surgery, because the waiting time is long for this surgery.

My surgeon at the check up appointment said he does not think the surgery could have caused the ear ringing. I went to an ENT doctor and she checked my ears, but she said everything is fine. I had an audiometry test and my hearing is normal.

So here I am with no clue what to do next. My ears are ringing, there is pressure in my ears, my head is aching because the ringing and when I open and close my mouth sometimes I hear/feel popping in my ear/jaw.

My ears never hurt while I'm ill so I don't think I had ear infection in the recent past and I've not been to loud environments, my blood pressure is normal. I still think the surgery played a role in this even though the doctor said otherwise. I had not experienced popping in my ears/jaw before the surgery and this weird pressure is also new.

My swelling is minimal as for now, so I don't think that might be the case. My lower jaw is still numb though.

My both ears are ringing, but only one at a time if that makes sense. It seems like the ringing is changing sides from time to time.

So what to do next? I will visit my doctor Monday, but I want to hear your opinion and advice.

Thank you and sorry for my bad English.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Michael B
      Supportive

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earbuds
      It doesn't take much in my opinion to set off tinnitus and considering everything you've been through in the past week along with the stress of surgery and sinus congestion any and all could have triggered it.

3. MrCrybaby

MrCrybaby Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2014, 10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      School Band, Acoustic Trauma
      I think this would be a good question to pose on a jaw surgery forum. This could be a common and temporary side effect (the jaw is right beside the ear, so any amount of inflammation could have a big impact) but none of us here would know either way.

Good luck!

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Mickm

Mickm Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise/stress
      Hi, Was this double jaw surgery to correct a misaligned bite?

I was recommended this particular surgery myself due to an underbite/crossbite but I have serious reservations due to the seriousness of the surgery itself (anything jaw related can have T implications), the much needed use of Opioids (morphine etc) and other heavy painkillers after surgery and during recovery and possible antibiotics (ototoxicity risks)....can all point to possibly aggravating preexisting tinnitus.

Hopefully once you are further into recovery the tinnitus may settle down, i agree with the previous poster, you have gone through an awful lot and any congestion issues on top can’t be helping things.....

Keep us updated on any change in your T.

Wishing you the best of luck on your recovery!

5. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      30/12/13
      I'm sorry this has happened to you.

What was the cause of your tinnitus in the first place?

Were you given antibiotics or other meds that might have impacted your tinnitus?

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      volt

volt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi!
      No, it was not! Only my lower jaw was moved forward.
      I don't know, I kinda thought it was normal, because it was minimal.
      Yes, I was given antibiotics and other meds for 3 days in hospital + antibiotics for 6 days at home. But why would they give me antibiotics that can cause tinnitus? I mean wtf I would rather not have this surgery if I would know they will use meds like that.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      30/12/13
      Which antibiotics were you taking?

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      volt

volt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm from a small country and these antibiotics are only used here I think because I couldn't find any information about it in english. In Consumer Medicine Information I can't find tinnitus as side effects if that means something.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      volt

volt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I went to visit another ENT, they confirmed I have no hearing loss and she told me she can see I have high pressure in my ears.

My question is, what problem can cause visible high pressure in ears? I experience the ringing in both ears, but often it is only in one side(sometimes it is changing sides).
      What doctor should I visit next? I was depressed before(1 year ago) and I don't want to fall back where I was back than.

I'm only 23 years old and my life couldn't be worse.

EDIT: Are there possible treatments in the future for tinnitus without hearing loss?

• Hug Hug x 4
    10. MrCrybaby

MrCrybaby Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2014, 10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      School Band, Acoustic Trauma
      Hi, I again want to say this is likely the wrong forum for your questions and you could really benefit from talking to other jaw surgery patients. This may be a common part of the recovery process. You are recovering from a major procedure.

If your eustation tubes are swollen that could make it hard for your ears to pop. You could contact the ENT again and ask what can be done to help your ear pressure equalize. You could also context your surgeon who could have insight on this matter.

There are many tinnitus treatments coming over the next decade.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      volt

volt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi, I have already asked about it on a jaw surgery forum, but no one replied me who experienced tinnitus after the surgery and I couldn't find any connection between the two. My surgeon was clueless and I have already visited 2 different ENTs and they are clueless as well.
      My ears are ringing 24/7 and it is very loud, I have pressure in my ears and head and I have headache because of it, yet no one can help me.