Ear Ringing Became Worse After Jaw Surgery — What to Do Next?

Discussion in 'Support' started by volt, Feb 21, 2020.

1. volt

volt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi!

I have had tinnitus for at least 3 months now, but it was minor and only annoyed me while I tried to sleep. Past week Tuesday I had a jaw surgery at the hospital and I did not see any change in my tinnitus, but as I went home my ears started ringing loud.

I need to add that I was ill before my surgery, but my ears was not hurting, had no fever only my nose was full. While I went to the hospital, I told the doctors my nose is full, they sent me to an ENT doctor to check if there was an infection in my throat, but she said there is no infection. So they gave green light for the surgery, because the waiting time is long for this surgery.

My surgeon at the check up appointment said he does not think the surgery could have caused the ear ringing. I went to an ENT doctor and she checked my ears, but she said everything is fine. I had an audiometry test and my hearing is normal.

So here I am with no clue what to do next. My ears are ringing, there is pressure in my ears, my head is aching because the ringing and when I open and close my mouth sometimes I hear/feel popping in my ear/jaw.

My ears never hurt while I'm ill so I don't think I had ear infection in the recent past and I've not been to loud environments, my blood pressure is normal. I still think the surgery played a role in this even though the doctor said otherwise. I had not experienced popping in my ears/jaw before the surgery and this weird pressure is also new.

My swelling is minimal as for now, so I don't think that might be the case. My lower jaw is still numb though.

My both ears are ringing, but only one at a time if that makes sense. It seems like the ringing is changing sides from time to time.

So what to do next? I will visit my doctor Monday, but I want to hear your opinion and advice.

Thank you and sorry for my bad English.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      It doesn't take much in my opinion to set off tinnitus and considering everything you've been through in the past week along with the stress of surgery and sinus congestion any and all could have triggered it.

3. MrCrybaby

MrCrybaby Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2014, 10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      School Band, Noxious Car Radio
      I think this would be a good question to pose on a jaw surgery forum. This could be a common and temporary side effect (the jaw is right beside the ear, so any amount of inflammation could have a big impact) but none of us here would know either way.

Good luck!

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hi, Was this double jaw surgery to correct a misaligned bite?

I was recommended this particular surgery myself due to an underbite/crossbite but I have serious reservations due to the seriousness of the surgery itself (anything jaw related can have T implications), the much needed use of Opioids (morphine etc) and other heavy painkillers after surgery and during recovery and possible antibiotics (ototoxicity risks)....can all point to possibly aggravating preexisting tinnitus.

Hopefully once you are further into recovery the tinnitus may settle down, i agree with the previous poster, you have gone through an awful lot and any congestion issues on top can’t be helping things.....

Keep us updated on any change in your T.

Wishing you the best of luck on your recovery!

5. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I'm sorry this has happened to you.

What was the cause of your tinnitus in the first place?

Were you given antibiotics or other meds that might have impacted your tinnitus?

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      volt

volt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi!
      No, it was not! Only my lower jaw was moved forward.
      I don't know, I kinda thought it was normal, because it was minimal.
      Yes, I was given antibiotics and other meds for 3 days in hospital + antibiotics for 6 days at home. But why would they give me antibiotics that can cause tinnitus? I mean wtf I would rather not have this surgery if I would know they will use meds like that.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Which antibiotics were you taking?

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      volt

volt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm from a small country and these antibiotics are only used here I think because I couldn't find any information about it in english. In Consumer Medicine Information I can't find tinnitus as side effects if that means something.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      volt

volt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I went to visit another ENT, they confirmed I have no hearing loss and she told me she can see I have high pressure in my ears.

My question is, what problem can cause visible high pressure in ears? I experience the ringing in both ears, but often it is only in one side(sometimes it is changing sides).
      What doctor should I visit next? I was depressed before(1 year ago) and I don't want to fall back where I was back than.

I'm only 23 years old and my life couldn't be worse.

EDIT: Are there possible treatments in the future for tinnitus without hearing loss?

• Hug Hug x 3
    10. MrCrybaby

MrCrybaby Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2014, 10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      School Band, Noxious Car Radio
      Hi, I again want to say this is likely the wrong forum for your questions and you could really benefit from talking to other jaw surgery patients. This may be a common part of the recovery process. You are recovering from a major procedure.

If your eustation tubes are swollen that could make it hard for your ears to pop. You could contact the ENT again and ask what can be done to help your ear pressure equalize. You could also context your surgeon who could have insight on this matter.

There are many tinnitus treatments coming over the next decade.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      volt

volt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi, I have already asked about it on a jaw surgery forum, but no one replied me who experienced tinnitus after the surgery and I couldn't find any connection between the two. My surgeon was clueless and I have already visited 2 different ENTs and they are clueless as well.
      My ears are ringing 24/7 and it is very loud, I have pressure in my ears and head and I have headache because of it, yet no one can help me.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      volt

volt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm back and I'm here for your help. My tinnitus after few month got better. Still had the ringing, but not as loud so I was doing pretty fine. Yet, one and half week ago it got worse again and I'm back where I was.
      I think my tinnitus is caused by TMJ. Things I experienced:
      • The ringing is in both ears.
      • It gets louder when I stretch my mouth.
      • While I don't feel pain in my jaws, it feels like my jaws are tired and it was not like that before my surgery.
      • When I wear my headphones my jaw gets tired (I can't explain what I mean better)
      • If I move my jaw sideways I can feel and hear clicking.
      So because of these things I think it's because of my jaw. What do you think? If it is caused by TMJ what options I have?

13. Kendra

Kendra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSNHL/ Acoustic Trauma
      If you grind your teeth at night or clench there are bite guards you could try. Also some people get Botox injections. Also, there are steroid injections as well. I’d visit a doctor to get some xrays done to see if it is TMJ. Make sure you tell them all your symptoms and history.

14. NTV

NTV Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise, stress
      Hi! Did your tinnitus level ever go back to pre-surgery level? Did you have double jaw surgery?

15. xerpes

xerpes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud concert
      I am wondering the same thing. How about you. Did you have double jaw surgery? I am considering it.

• Funny Funny x 1
    16. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I've never had jaw surgery and hope not to despite obnoxious TMJ dislocation.

I have had moderate success moving my lower jaw position forward by using a bite repositioning split at night for the last 4 years.

If I stop using it for 2-3 weeks, then my jaw starts to painfully dislocate again and my tinnitus goes through the roof.

• Hug Hug x 1
    17. NTV

NTV Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise, stress
      No, I did not. I thought about it but I think the risk is too big. I read that the jaws/mouth will be swollen and numb for weeks due to irritation of the nerves. I am worried that this will cause a lot of inflammation in the ears since the ears are connected to the jaws. I also read that people need to take a bunch of pain medication, antibiotics, and anti nausea medication during recovery. These are probably all ototoxic.

Are you planning to get double jaw surgery for overbite or underbite issue?

18. xerpes

xerpes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud concert
      I don't NEED the surgery, actually, but it's something I wanted before the tinnitus. I have had lower jaw surgery before, and it does suck. Double must suck more, but probably not twice as much. :)

I am concerned for the same reasons as you are, but my surgeon isn't aware of surgery causing issues for anyone. I asked him specifically about ototoxicity and he said none of the drugs he uses are ototoxic. I'd like him to look over all the drugs again to be sure. If the ototoxic drugs can be avoided, I think the chance of jaw surgery actually causing an issue is actually pretty low. My life sucks a ton already, so I am not sure I have a lot to lose.

I would be getting the surgery for esthetics, and to improve sleep apnea and breathing.

19. NTV

NTV Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise, stress
      Oh, I see! How long did it take for you to recover from your lower jaw surgery? Did you gain back most of your lower jaw nerve sensation?

Good luck with everything! If you do get the surgery, please report back on how it goes:) Yeah, definitely have him check if the drugs are ototoxic. Also, if you search around this forum, some people posted links to ototoxic drugs lists. If you have the drug names, you can check those lists.

I think I have sleep apnea/UARS because my sleep is horrible. Part of me really wants to get the surgery to widen the airway but I am worried about tinnitus:(

• Like Like x 1
    20. xerpes

xerpes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud concert
      I only had upper jaw surgery before, and it was not that bad of a recovery after the first week. I was chewing on food within a month, but double jaw will probably take longer. I don't have any lasting issues from the surgery, but sometimes my front teeth will go numb which is a bit weird.

• Like Like x 1
    21. Gateway
      Sad

Gateway Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL (sudden sensorineural hearing loss)
      I recently had upper jaw surgery and it feels as if my tinnitus is worse, and currently my left ear won’t pop. I had tinnitus before the surgery and I shouldn’t have taken the risk to make it worse. Can someone help that has been through this?

• Hug Hug x 1
    22. xerpes

xerpes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud concert
      I am so sorry to hear that. Did it go back to normal? What initially caused your tinnitus? Perhaps it was a jaw issue in the first place?

23. Stuart-T
      Thinking

Stuart-T Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear wax or COVID-19 infection
      Just saw this thread. I had lower jaw surgery in my 20s - due to an overbite. Yes it was a big deal but I felt it was worth any risk at the time as my life truly sucked. If you think about the proximity to the ear and the trauma to the jawbone - sliced nerves - it is not surprising that tinnitus could result. They do use a very loud saw to cut through the bone and I wonder if this could be an issue.

• Like Like x 1
    24. xerpes

xerpes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud concert
      So you already had tinnitus at the time? How severe?

25. Stuart-T
      Thinking

Stuart-T Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear wax or COVID-19 infection
      No, I got tinnitus at 58. My jaw op was at 23.

• Like Like x 1
    26. xerpes

xerpes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud concert
      Thanks. In case you or anyone else is interested, I asked a surgeon about a double jaw surgery. He said use of the drill, which is pretty loud, is about 10 minutes.

I also found this:

How Much Noise Is an Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon Exposed to?

27. Gateway
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hey, my tinnitus did get better after the surgery for a little while, probably about a year. Although now, I am currently going through a four month spike that has made me get bad hyperacusis as well, which, as of right now, is worse than the tinnitus. I don't know if all this is a result of the surgery or not. I do feel like it had an impact on my ears, just because of how much trauma it did to the general area. Still, I am praying God will get me and all of us through this.

• Hug Hug x 1
    28. xerpes

xerpes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud concert
      I am sorry to hear that. I agree that hyperacusis is so much worse than tinnitus. Luckily each time I experienced hyperacusis it has lasted a week at most. I hope you are able to get relief from hyperacusis. I know it's possible.

I am still considering jaw surgery, possibly later this year, but I am a little scared.

Is your SSHL originally from loud noise exposure?

29. Gateway
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don’t believe so, I was only 18 at the time. I used to listen to music fairly loud, so that could be it. I just remember waking up from a nap one day after school and my left ear felt weird and over the next couple of days the ringing got worse. I’ve never really dealt with that much hyperacusis until now. Obviously I had some sound sensitivity because I didn’t want to make the ringing worse. I pray this goes away soon though.