Ear Tube Removed — Will My Hearing Return to Normal After the Hole Closes?

Discussion in 'Support' started by cml, Oct 12, 2021.

1. cml

cml Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I had an ear tube in my right ear for 4 days but had it taken out due to hearing my pulse in the ear along with tinnitus. My hearing is still muffled. Will my hearing return to normal after the hole closes?

During the time the ear tube was in, my left ear started to hear low bass like sounds from hearing the TV, refrigerator, car passing the house, etc. It still is experiencing this low bass sound. Is this caused by the hole created in the right ear?

I see another ENT in two weeks. I am worried.

Thanks.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. James_s91
      Stressed

James_s91 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Hi,

Hope things got better? Generally, grommets make it harder to experience bass and everything sounds tinny/hollow while they're in. So I think you are describing a low tinnitus frequency that has been brought on by the grommet? Assuming that you don't have another underlying condition causing hearing loss then you should return to pre-grommet levels eventually.

All I know is that holes in the eardrum are never good and it's likely to cause some hearing loss while the hole persists. Hearing loss often leads to tinnitus. Once the eardrum heals and the muffled feeling subsides then hopefully it should fade in time.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      cml

cml Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello, My right ear has returned to normal. The left ear is having a low rumbling and vibrating sensation. I am not sure of the cause or what is going on. It is very scary.

4. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      This all means nothing without testing air bone gaps properly in a very quiet audiologist office.

If you had gaps pre-tubes, for all you know they closed post-tubes and hearing better ironically created this situation.

Basically you need information, right now you're guessing.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      cml

cml Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Do you mean testing the pressures in the ear?

6. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      That and using a transducer to measure the sound through bone.

Any audiologist can do it.