Earplugs That Let You Have Conversations without the Occlusion Effect?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Sameer, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Sameer

Sameer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely sound-induced, but not entirely sure.
      Hi, just wondering if you guys know of any earplugs that let you have a conversation without the occlusion effect (if that's possible), as I have mild hyperacusis.

I've had it for, around two months and I believe I'm seeing progress. I used to not be able to tolerate running water from a tap or the flush of a toilet, but nowadays I've been finding those sounds to be less "piercing" (I guess). I don't overprotect. I try not to wear earplugs unless I absolutely can't take it, but I haven't worked my way up to going out to a shopping mall with friends yet.

If there isn't such a thing, what's the best way to go about this? Would like to know your thoughts. Cheers.

My story, in case it helps:

I am currently 19 years old (male) and first got constant/unchanging, hissing tinnitus after flying (Australia [which is where I live] to UK) in December of 2017. I remember hearing it not go away the first night we arrived in the UK. Since then, it stayed at that very low, unobtrusive volume, where I could only lightly hear it when I'd try to sleep. In 2018, I had impacted earwax in both ears and got it syringed out by my local GP with no complications at all. The procedure went as smooth as it could possibly go. Earwax became impacted again (in April 2019) and, this time, after getting ear syringing from a different, possibly less experienced GP, my tinnitus amped up to maybe 2.5-3 times the volume (I also got mild-moderate hyperacusis from that syringing). Not sure about the root cause, as I didn't listen to headphones loudly on the planes (and was always very cautious with headphone volume in general as I'm a musician and am careful with my ears). I've had a hearing test with an audiologist and according to that I don't have any hearing loss at all. Just had an ENT appointment around a month ago as well and he just ended up saying I'd have to "get used to it".

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      You could try using "noise reducing earplugs". This will reduce external sound but will not impair sound quality. My advice is not to become too dependent on them but these should be okay if not used too often. If you are a user of headphones, my advice is to refrain from using them even at low volume. Headphones and tinnitus do not go well together, especially if the tinnitus was "noise induced". One can take all the precautions they feel is necessary when using headphones, I believe a person with "noise induced tinnitus" is taking a risk each and every time they are used. Not everyone with noise induced tinnitus, that uses headphones are adversely affected. However, the risk is there of making the tinnitus worse and it's real.

Knowing how distressing tinnitus can be, I am aghast as to why people with NIT continue to use these dangerous devices called headphones. As you are a musician this can present additional problems since you are working with sound. My advice is to be careful. Whenever you get earwax removed. apply ear oil to each ear 3x a day for 10 days prior to having it removed to thoroughly soften the wax.

Please click on the link below and read my post: Hyperacusis, As I see it. It covers the use of hearing protection and over sensitivity to sound.

Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/

• Like Like x 1
    3. TnH

TnH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma and Acoustic Shock
      I haven’t found any. I know that noise cancelling headphones and earbuds do the job and they make your voice not sound loud in your head but they have a slight’ pressure’ sensation.