Earplugs with Minimal Occlusion Effect?

Discussion in 'Support' started by thillygooth, Dec 11, 2022.

1. thillygooth

thillygooth Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I've used a variety of earplugs, but my main problem is that almost all of them cause my voice to be extremely loud and echoey in my head (known as the occlusion effect). I can only tolerate them for a few minutes while speaking before I have to take them out.

The only ones I have that totally eliminate the occlusion effect are foam ones inserted VERY deeply into the ear canal. I understand the smaller the volume of space after the earplug is, the less the effect will be. The issue I have is the foam earplugs have high NRR ratings and make it difficult to hear conversations.

I haven't been able to find any low-NRR foam earplugs that I can still put deep to eliminate the echoing but let me hear in everyday environments like noisy restaurants or group events. I tried even drilling out a cavity in the foam ones to hopefully reduce their NRR but they just fell apart.

I even got custom molded earplugs where they took a deep mold, but even these after talking for a bit, my jaw movement would wiggle them enough and the echoing would come back.

I found that with most of the silicone ones with low NRR, if I press them in with my finger I can get the echoing and voice-noise to stop, but once I let go they unwedge and it's echoing.

Anyone else dealing with this? Anyone come up with a hack that constantly presses the silicone earplugs in, or lowers the NRR of foam ones?

Thanks!

2. Stacken77
      Wishful

Stacken77 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise (likely headphones & cars), Acoustic trauma did me in
      Hey, @thillygooth.

I'm afraid there's no easy solution to the problem. I've been dealing with the exact same problem myself.

In my case, one of my ears are worse than the other, my left. I usually use a deeply inserted foam ear plug in that ear, and then use a high fidelity custom mold in my right. This makes me "rely" on my right ear to hear while giving the left ear some rest. When I only have the occlusion effect in one ear, it sounds a lot less and do not trigger my hyperacusis. If I try to speak with both custom molds in, with dual occlusion effect, it is perceived as incredibly loud.

I don't know if there's any negative effects of unbalancing the protection in this way, but it works for me.

Best regards,
      Stacken

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    3. Benjaminbb

Benjaminbb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely long term noise exposure, combined w pandemic stress
      I definitely think we can figure out a solution here. I’m in the same boat which is why I prefer noise-cancelling headphones over earplugs for gatherings and restaurants. But it is obviously kinda ridiculous unless desperate.

I have custom moulded in-ear monitors for music and when held in, there is no occlusion effect, like you mentioned about yours. So it is possible it’s just about recreating whatever is happening there.

4. ploughna

ploughna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      motor racing and power tools
      Same issue here with custom musician earplugs. What helps, although still not perfect, is using a special gel/lubricant that a) makes them easier to insert and b) improves the seal, thereby reducing the occlusion effect.

This is what I use:
      https://www.amazon.com/OtoFerm-Comfort-Cream-Plug-Lubricant/dp/B005IYE0IG

Expensive for the amount you get but maybe worth a try?