Ears Opened Up :) How to Make Sure External Sounds Don’t Hurt Me?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mila9828, Oct 27, 2019.

1. Mila9828

Mila9828 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accident/Screaming?
      Hey everyone!

After 2-3 months of ear fullness my ears are finally opening up!

I’m a bit concerned about noise though as I noticed my ears are quite sore so everything I hear kind of hurts. Any advice on how to protect my ears?

I don’t want to put earplugs in because I don’t want to overprotect but at the same time I’m pretty sure my ears are sensitive right now.

I have musician's earplugs, would that work for outside noise for a few days? I was also told not to use them as my ears need to get used to outside noise again.

2. arctic loon
      Dreaming

arctic loon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music
      Overprotection is the least of your concerns, I'd recommend you to use plugs/muffs whenever you feel uncomfortable. Reintroduce sounds veery slowly. If something hurts your ears, stop doing it without protection. Not all places are safe even with earplugs, so be really careful.

I'm glad to hear you're making progress! Ears heal very slowly, one noise too much can reverse all progress. Don't push your limits, listen to your body and don't worry about overprotection. I'm sure in a couple months you'll feel even better :) good luck!

3. Ruse
      No Mood

Ruse Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL & TMJ
      Not sure if by musicians earplugs you mean custom earplugs?

If so perhaps you can change the filters over time to slowly reduce the decibel reduction.

4. MattS
      Relaxed

MattS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power Tools
      I agree with most other posters here: you should NOT worry about over-protection until you've figured out the level of protection you actually need. It's far better to over-protect for a couple of days than it is to underpriced for the same period of time.

That said, it sounds like you haven't been using plugs this whole time. If that's the case, maybe you don't need to start now. But still: caution, at least for a bit, seems most prudent.

5. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Good news about the ear fullness opening up. This is an important step in healing. At this point, need to protect from objectively loud sounds, or the potential for them. Do not wear the earplugs 24/7, but certainly use them for things like vacuuming, and also if going in the subway, airplane, or walking along a busy street. I would go with foam in any of those situations, and not the musician ones as they are not all that protective. The musician ones are better for talking on the phone if you can't get the volume low enough, or a busy restaurant.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mila9828

Mila9828 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accident/Screaming?
      My ear opened up but I can’t feel the sound! Is this normal :( it’s like my ear can’t feel the vibrations of sound entering it! This includes my own voice and I’m extremely concerned, please help.

7. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Not sure what you mean by feel the sound. Can you hear? Is the hearing different between the two ears? Sounds like you need an audiogram to quantify this.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mila9828

Mila9828 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accident/Screaming?
      I can hear but I can’t “feel” the vibrations entering my eardrum if that makes sense? It makes everything sound flat or “numb”.

9. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Sounds like the hearing is blunted. Better than the ear fullness, but should improve without further noise exposure.

• Like Like x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mila9828

Mila9828 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accident/Screaming?
      Is this normal and can it get better? I haven’t seen anyone on this forum with similar issues :/

11. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      My hearing was blunted after the initial fullness cleared. It should improve.