Eating Cheese Spikes My Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by erniej, Apr 9, 2016.

1. erniej
      Sporty

erniej Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't know
      Is anyone affected by eating cheese? I like Swiss cheese on whole grain bread but my tinnitus seems to go through the roof after I eat some. I can't believe just cheese could make the volume rise that much and so quickly.

2. Mr-T

Mr-T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Over exposure to loud music
      I get it when I have coffee. I bloody love coffee and just put up with the spike and ignore it and keep enjoying the buzz of caffeine!

I say enjoy your cheese, otherwise you'll end up giving up everything you enjoy in life!

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      erniej
      Sporty

erniej Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't know
      No, this is horrible. I'm not talking about a small spike. It's like a siren going off in my head. I feel like I can't stand another second of it. It's so loud I'm laying on the couch completely debilitated. Peanut butter seems to do the same thing. I get the brand that has just peanuts and nothing added. I'm starting to get food paranoia. Oh my God this is friggen LOUD!

This afflication HAS taken away everything that I enjoy in life. It's too loud. It's so loud it hurts.

Back to my original question. Does anyone else have a problem with CHEESE?

4. Mr-T

Mr-T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sorry I didn't understand it was so bad. Though I do understand what you mean with the diet as I am also celiac, soya intolerant and suffer from gastro problems. I can only eat wholesome foods, no sauces, alcohol, fizzy drinks. I found it difficult at first, it just takes a while to work out a new diet. Sorry it doesn't answer your question!

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      erniej
      Sporty

erniej Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't know
      No problem. I eat a high protein diet. I live on Pork Loin Center Cut (no salt) with cooked vegetables. No junk food. Then I wonder if I'm eating too much pork? Last week I went to Burger King and just had a Wopper for food that day and the next day my tinnitus was almost gone. Coincidence? Then I wonder if there is such a thing as too much protein... This is what I mean about this affliction. It ruins my life on so many levels. I don't even know if it is diet related... I just want this to be over.

6. Mr-T

Mr-T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I just think what works for one person doesn't for another. When I started with gastro problems people would tell me what to eat and what not to eat. It's nonsense, you have to figure it out what works best for your body. The same with tinnitus I guess. At least from what I've read on here, it varies from person to person with triggers etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      erniej
      Sporty

erniej Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't know
      I did some research and it said that the amount of meat that a person should eat in a day is about the size of a deck of cards. I eat at least 1/3 a pound a day. I ate a 2 1/2 lb pork loin the other day. You add that up with the four or more large slices of Swiss cheese every day and maybe it's time for a diet change... a size of a deck of cards. Jesus.

8. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @erniej possibly what you should do is get some large gelatin caps (http://www.amazon.com/Capsule-Conne...=UTF8&qid=1460213632&sr=8-2&keywords=gel+caps)

fill ~20 of them with cheese and ~20 of them with something of similar consistency that doesn't spike you (vegan cheese, maybe?). Have a friend divide them into two jars "A" and "B", and not tell you which is the real cheese. Take a few capsules from one jar or the other for a couple days, and then figure out which jar you think is the real cheese. Then have your friend switch the jars up (or not, without telling you) -- and do the same thing.

If you do this, one of two things will happen: either you'll conclude that you can't actually tell when you've had the real cheese or not, in which case, this doesn't actually impact your tinnitus. Or, you will be able to tell with 100% certainty when the real cheese was in container A or B, in which case you'll know that you've actually identified a real tinnitus trigger.

I'd be pretty surprised if the second case turned out to be true, because I think that psychological factors are more important 90% of the time (excluding stuff like caffeine, which is a psychostimulant) -- but isn't it better to know for sure, than to just be afraid of everything?

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      this is a separate issue but Americans have basically done themselves a disservice by years of subsidy and cost-cutting in the meat industry. The end result is that slaughterhouses are unbelievably unclean and dirty even by the standards of 1890s America, meat workers are paid less than they have been at any other time since the Great Depression, and 80% of the antibiotics used in the USA are pumped into livestock which has already lead to demonstrated cases of antibiotic-resistant infections crossing over into human populations. Without take a moral stance on meat per se, it's still trivial to look at the way it is implemented and say "that's pretty messed up, dude". Lean meat can be a healthy and small part of a balanced diet; eating large quantities of red meat 2-3 meals a day leads to all kinds of health problems, especially if you're eating typical filthy American meat. (You can get cleaner food, but at a price: I pay $12-16/lb for bacon.)

• Like Like x 1
    10. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I eat meat everyday, I wonder if it would make a difference at this point if I cut back. I find nothing makes a difference for me, my T rages no matter what I do or don't do. I guess I if I had a good day I would be all over trying to find out what made that difference.

11. Purple Parrot
      Bookworm

Purple Parrot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015 - 3/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multiple: anxiety, childhood ear infections, loud music
      I seem to be OK with cheese but high lactose foods (e.g. milk and ice cream) and anything containing wheat sets me off big time.

12. Asian

Asian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 weeks
      I was hospitalized a month ago for a minor surgery and they gave me frequent doses of paracetamol and antibiotics post surgery for about a week. It spiked my tinnitus like crazy for about a week even after stopping the medication. My T has returned to basline gradually but it took about 10 days for the effect to wear off. I know it was either the antibiotic or the paracetamol that spiked my tinnitus. So yes, i think paracetamol may affect tinnitus for some

13. Owen
      Disappointed

Owen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unclear. Inflammatory allergic reaction/AIED
      Antibiotics are commonly associated with tinnitus.

14. EddieMar
      Wishful

EddieMar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wish I knew
      I had a Panini with white cheese and I got my worse spike ever, it lasted for hours .

The other day I order Nachos from a Mexican restaurant. They used white cheese and also, that night my tinnitus was the worst it's been in months.

It's mostly white melted cheese though because I've had yellow nacho cheese and I don't recall ever having a spike.

I've had solid white babybel cheese and that doesn't' cause spikes either.

I'm going to try again ordering those same white cheese nachos to see if I get a spike.

15. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I too noticed that dairy products worsen my T.

16. SilverSpiral
      Sad

SilverSpiral Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ACOUSTIC TRAUMA
      My tinnitus is not affected by diet at all it seems, not even by all the supplements that were supposed to help. Magnesium, coq10, nt-3 (astaxanthin), Ginkgo Biloba, and NAC all had no noticable change either. If anything the Ginkgo would spike it temporarily, but I just figured optimistically that meant there was additional bloodflow to the inner ear, so it might help with the healing.

I certainly haven't noticed any changes from food.

However spikes from diet, and specifically cheese are not uncommon as I have read here and seen on youtube.

Will Sedley specifically talks about the cheese phenomenon here, so you are certainly not alone.
      I don't know the time stamp exactly, but I am assuming it is in part 2, because if I recall, members of the audience discuss it during the Q&A.
      Tinnitus: Dr Will Sedley 2 of 2 (subtitled)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    17. cspc
      Studious

cspc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Cheese, Chocolate, anything salty even alcohol spikes my t.

18. Vpiselli

Vpiselli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6 months
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Post treatment with prednisone, food allergy
      I believe you may have a dairy allergy.

19. B18c1vtech

B18c1vtech Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma??, poor diet, sleep, stress, etc..
      Here's your answer; sodium. stay away from it.

• Like Like x 1