Eating/Chewing Causing Tinnitus Spikes?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jupiterman, Jul 6, 2022.

1. Jupiterman

Jupiterman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden loud noise
      Everytime I eat and chew I notice an increase in my tinnitus that can last anywhere from half an hour to over an hour (sometimes longer), depending on how much I've had to chew my food. Obviously some foods require more chewing than others.

Is a 'spike' gained through chewing as serious as a noise induced one? What I mean is, am I doing damage everytime I eat as if I were exposing myself to noise?

Does this mean I'll never get any improvement to my tinnitus, that my tinnitus will get progressively worse indefinitely? I need to eat!

Anyone who has experience of this, I'd like to know what I am to expect.

I'm three months in.

2. AnthonyMcDonald
      Confused

AnthonyMcDonald Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I was getting progressively worse from stuff like eating and drinking water. No, it's not causing any hearing damage. You seem to have a case of reactive tinnitus, which is definitely nerve related. Also, if your jaw pops/cracks when moving it around it could be related to the jaw. Yours thankfully go down, my spikes were always permanent. It calmed down in 7-8 months for me and now I can allow myself more without getting worse. I'm afraid the only thing you can do for now is to be careful with noise and just wait. Maybe try to eat softer food, for now, if you want to avoid these spikes. Cheers.

3. kmiki

kmiki Member

Tinnitus Since:
      other symptoms, not tinnitus
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      @Jupiterman, I think I am noticing the same with mine!! I believe it's related to the Eustachian tubes as chewing can change pressure inside them.

Is your tinnitus related to your Eustachian tubes? How did you get your tinnitus? Do your ears feel plugged? And how are you doing these days?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jupiterman

Jupiterman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden loud noise
      I've also found that even if I don't chew and simply put food in mouth and swallow, it still causes me to spike, though not as much if I had have chewed.

It could be an Eustachian tube issue, it could be a somatic issue or it could be that the middle ear is picking up sound from mouth (do you have hyperacusis)? One of my ears feels full after moderate noise exposure, I've had that since the onset. With the same ear, the eardrum usually flutters a bit after eating too.

Other than the ear flutter reducing slightly, I've not seen any improvement in this particular condition since last month.

If you can manage to resolve yours by use of a spray or something, please let me know.

Please feel free to read my previous posts.